Remnants of the Precursors: Master of Orion, but modern, free, and smart

Wait, what have you heard??

(tongue in cheek of course)

Version 2.15 is out as I race to get everything ready for the translators. Lots of neat stuff in this update, including (finally) the ability to issue threats to the AI

Very cool. If I’m in the midst of a campaign I can just carry on with it yes?

Yes, I have somehow been able to magically preserve save-game compatibility throughout the entire Beta 2 process.

This will no doubt sound dumb, but how do you update? Just grab the latest version off the website and run that?

Yes, just download the newest version of the game – the Remnants.jar file

I’m double clicking on the file (Windows 10) and nothing happens. I also tried right-click, Open, and still nothing.

EDIT: Never mind, I found your instructions upthread on adjusting Properties. Seems I don’t appear to have Java installed.

I’m looking into an eventual change that doesn’t require Java to be pre-installed but that’s a bit further down the road to 1.0.

If I update a ship design to add upgrades I’ve researched do all the previous ships already in the field disappear?

Should I give them a different name to avoid this?

Trying to grok best approach to this 6 ship designs limit vis a vis upgrading designs. I just updated a cruiser design and I could swear the ones already in space disappeared and every planet in the midst of building the previous cruiser design disappeared and promptly all turned into colony ship builds?!

Also, I have it checked for only tax fully developed colonies, what constitutes “fully developed”? Is it industry maxed or industry maxed and pop maxed?

You can have up to 6 active ship designs. If you want to create a new design, you might have to scrap an existing design to make room for it. Scrapping a design will scrap all of the ships associated with it and return 25% of their value back into the empire treasury.

Names are a convenience for you and have no effect on the design update process.

If you scrap a design, all of its ships disappear. If colonies are currently building that scrapped design, they will automatically switch to a new design since they can no longer build the previous design.

To help avoid this, the Design UI will tell you how many colonies are currently building a design. You can then find those systems and easily change their design to something else.

A fully developed colony is one that has completed all spending for industry, ecology and defense.

The real reason is because the game uses stack-based combat. Limiting the player to 6 designs means limiting them to 6 stacks of ships in combat. This makes ship combat flow much more smoothly.

Contrast this to MOO2 where stack combat was removed and you ended up with a system that had to artificially limit the number of ships you could build because too many ships would break combat.

In addition, having a limited number of ship designs forces you to make hard decisions about when to scrap and when to wait until getting that next tech first. For example, games that let you automatically upgrade or refit designs remove this strategic element entirely. In those games, getting a new ship-related tech always results in you simply just automatically upgrading existing ships. It turns a strategic decision into one of paying a tax after learning a technology.

Now, with all of that said, I totally understand that this is a meta that doesn’t exist in many games nowadays so it feels alien. But it absolutely is a valid meta that requires strategic choices to be made.

Moved a military ship to a planet that was unexplored, but apparently occupied by an enemy AI ship.

Couple stabs at auto resolve and a couple manual battles attempts all resulted in same outcome, game crash. The screen that came up suggested taking screenshot so I did:

Wasn’t sure where to fire the recent.otp at so let me know and I’ll send it.

P.S. got past the crash by telling that ship to auto retreat

I like that restriction for the reasons you mention. I also wish more games would have the Hearts of Iron production penalty when switching what is being produced to make planning more significant.

Awesome someone else reported this but didn’t have a save. Please email it to [email protected]

Cool, just sent it your way!

Thank you so much. You guys are an amazing QA group. I was just explaining to Kaitlin today how awesome the dynamic is. You guys find bugs so fast so I fix them asap and it makes the long-term development process for this game incredibly efficient.

My pleasure man, all the heavy lift here is entirely by you. I’m just having great fun playing the game so firing an email with a save to help debug is the least I can do.

Kid is going to bed now. I’ll fix this and post an update within the hour

ok, this is fixed in version 2.15b. Thanks for the heads up!

I’m pretty sure I alone control more than 2/3’s (from screenshot you can see it’s really more that that) of the planets and from reading the MOO manual it looks like a galactic council is supposed to be called when just 2/3’s of the planets are colonized by anybody.

So what am I missing? No council has ever kicked off…