Remnants of the Precursors: Master of Orion, but modern, free, and smart

Sure. Something like a 100-200ms delay on replacing the panel with the hover panel if the mouse is still there would mitigate the worst of it.

I’ll probably still play with it off ;)

I have tried that and it was an unmitigated disaster. Anything requiring a timer thread triggered by moving the mouse, no matter how much you think you have it properly coded, is going to screw up someone’s performance in dramatically unintended ways. Because when I did it, it worked PERFECTLY FINE on my PC.

Surely that’s the first time any of us have encountered that!

My brief exploration of the code made it seem like the SpriteInfoPanel class was being re-instantiated on every draw, or frame, or something. This hosed every attempt I made at trying to do anything smart. The hacky keyPressed/keyReleased thing mostly worked, but without a better understanding of state management I bounced off.

What I’d want to do w/r/t the hover delay would be to store the timestamp of the mouseEntered event somewhere reliably stateful and then compare that against current timestamp when deciding whether to useHoverSprite. I don’t know enough about how events are messaged across the game state to do so without a whole lot of blind experimentation, though.

Anyway, again, the project is great and I’m really amused coming from API world and doing what I can to dig in and see how RotP works. Cheers!

I took a fleet to attack a planet that has shields and missile bases defending it. This is a pretty advanced fleet technologically compared to the race I’m attacking. I auto resolved and the fleet wins but is then shown as auto-retreating back where it came from.

Far as I can tell I lost no ships, they just decided to pack in back where they came from.

Is this a case of the defenses of the planet being too strong for the fleet to over come so they didn’t even bother trying?

You should enroll the game in dearly-departed @wumpus 's certification program from waaay back in 2007:

I can’t answer that without maybe checking out the save

Thanks! I shot you the save file, take a look when you’ve got a spare moment and see what you make of it.

Btw, think it was planet defenses, namely shields, that were preventing my fleet from conquering that planet. The weapon load out I had was just being repeatedly stopped by shields, so while the planet couldn’t destroy my fleet, my fleet couldn’t over come the planet shield defense. This netted out to a draw and apparently in auto-resolve that ends in the fleet retreating.

This sounds right to me. I know I have been in the situation where the ships are just sitting over the planet, pouring their feeble beam weapons into planetary shields. A stack of bombers should do the trick.

Yep, I took the current design (I’m not very imaginative in ship design) and added the latest and greatest bombs I’d just finished researching. Viola, planet obliterated.

I manually fought with the previous fleet one more time prior to the new ship design coming online to see what was happening, it was amusing because it was a space battle version of waiting for godot and if I didn’t retreat it never ended.

There should be a 50-turn limit that forces aggressors to retreat if the battle is not over.

By 'There should be" do you mean ‘that’s an idea that you’d like to implement’, or ‘that is a limit that’s already implemented and they should have retreated’?

Ah, good to know. I didn’t hang out in manual battling it for 50 turns, once I saw that neither side was landing any blows I retreated and built a better fleet for the job.

“There should be” in that’s how it was in MOO1 and I think I implemented it that way in ROTP. I might have set it to 100 turns. I didn’t go look at the code when I made that post.

Thanks for clarifying, Ray.

Newb question (for anyone with MoO1 experience): is there auto-upgrade of existing ships when you finish researching better components? Or do you have to scrap and rebuild?

It’s scrap and build a new one. And when you scrap btw everything in the field goes with it. So this becomes another strategic decision you have to make as to when you’ve made enough technological advances to warrant putting a new ship out because you’ve only ever got 6 slots and emptying a slot means emptying that ship type from your fleet.

Got it, thank you.

You get a percentage (1/4?) of the cost of production that goes to planetary reserves when you scrap. which can help boost your production of new ships.

And then I (purple Meklars) got boxed in by the Darloks and Silicoids pretty much straight from the outset.

One of them is going to have to go (or more likely both), my bet since the Silicoids are xenophobic militarists it’ll be their ticket I punch first.

Edit: it all came to naught, space monster showed up and destroyed my empire specifically, leaving only dead planets in it’s wake. At this point in the campaign I had nothing remotely close to capable of handling this. Didn’t realize I’d left it on setting up the campaign till it was too late. I’m not opposed to this game mechanic but these show up way too early. I’m a fan of realm divide in Shogun 2, so I get what we’re going for here, but the timing is off.

A few versions back Ray added an option to evacuate colonies, which you might find helpful. I am in a game now in which the Space Amoeba was kicking my ass due to inadequate movement speed and a depleted tech tree (no inertial stabilizers for me or my neighbors) but eventually I teched up to antimatter engines and was able to finish off the Amoeba. In the same game I’m stuck with inadequate armor (Duralloy) and the Space Crystal is soooooo much worse. But I wouldn’t turn off space monsters personally, just as I don’t turn off nebulae.

On the subreddit there is a mod from modnar_hajjie which adds a new space monster that is probably worse than the other two, in that it levels up with the player. And it recurs! Still fun though… personally, losing the occasional game is part of the overall enjoyment.