Replaying Baldur's Gate

Dorn is super overpowered. Just picked up the drow sorcerer and watching all of his spells roll out is super neat. Seems OP as well.

Iā€™ve used resurrect once after couple of my characters died during the fight in the Iron Throne headquarters. As in I went to temple, ressurected them naked and came back. That was like 10 minutes to remember what were they wearing and stuff. So yeah, I wonā€™t let anyone die in the future.

Itā€™s very strange. Early game was yout typical early D&D hell: everything can kill you in a hit or two, and you probably can kill everyone in a hit too. In the mid game I have a variety of tools to deal with anything I find. But now everywhere I go I see that mass confusion. My MC is a bard and so is Imoen, and I have Edwin so I should be able to alpha strike casters but itā€™s still irritating.

Sarevok down. Iā€™m skipping the DLC and Dragonspear and diving right into BG2.

Itā€™s just sooo much better.

The drow sorcerer is OP. He is a whole level ahead of your party on encounter, by design. Which is huge because the BG1 level range is like 1-8.

I didnā€™t know this the first time I played, but there are scroll cases to hold all the scrolls. They only take up one inventory slot.

There is a potion bag too. My team is level 3/4 and the drowsorcerer is level 6. šŸ‘¹

The first time I played, I had no space left over in my inventory, since I didnā€™t know what could be useful later. Now I barely take up any inventory space, and any gems I find quickly get sold. The lack of initial knowledge about how the system works makes the experience tortuous, which is a shame.

Man I sympathize with that. I am playing Atom RPG and its the same problem.

Inventory management hell.

In BG there are 3 types of containers (or 4 including a bag of holding if that is even available in enhanced)

Scroll case, potion case, and gem bag. Thinking back on it now I am not sure where to get any one of them.

I found out that the scroll case can be obtained using a very easy quest in Beregost. Simply go to one of the houses marked on the map (I donā€™t know if it was marked in the original game) and perform that quest, and you get the scroll case as a reward. This case can hold 100 scrolls in the enhanced edition, so youā€™re set. Also, stacks of arrows being raised to 80 is very helpful.

If you also avoid taking stuff you donā€™t need, like weapons from monsters and unnecessary armor, there really isnā€™t an inventory problem anymore.

I think I was level 5 when I encountered him. According to the Wiki there is a player character XP requirement. I tend to go side quest / explore everything crazy after I finish the mines before proceeding to the first bandit camp.

Yea - I went looking for him specifically in order to round out my team. Didnā€™t like leveling with just 5 even tho they were leveling quite quickly. Didnā€™t realize he came at level 6 automatically. Usually I donā€™t like my casters having free reign to cast spells when they want, but he has so many heā€™s having a ball nuking hobgoblins.

What is the easiest way to install mod packages now?

Gibberlings3 has a new home.

https://www.gibberlings3.net/

He shows up again in Siege of Dragonspear. I had three mages in my party then. My wild mage main, Edwin, and him. It was 24-7 magic Armageddon. The other 3ā€¦Dorn, Viconia, and Safana (BG1 only Thief).

When I transferred to BG2 I replaced Safana with Jan and Baeloth with the evil dwarf axe and board beserker. Back down to 2 mages. This was my party for the rest of it, which worked very well.

Example 42 for why BG2 is the greatest RPG ever.

That is definitely a good moment. Balā€¦ no shields? all two handers on your melee? Gutsy.

That is just those diseased idiots in the sewers area offshoot opposite the all-see-eye cult. What am I missing?

Itā€™s a cool bit of revealed world building that ties neatly back into the Umar Hills. Whatā€™s not to love?

Iā€™ve been replaying BG2 with the great EE version and remember now why Iā€™ve never finished. I suck at combat.

Last night I tried one battle in the basement or sewers of the Copper Coronet multiple times and the best outcome was only one party member dead. And then I realized I donā€™t have enough cash to revive her at a Temple. Iā€™d spent most of my cash on a spell that I thought would help me win the battle.

I love the game. I wish I was better at the tactics of battles.

Isnā€™t there a story mode that helps with that?