Replaying Baldur's Gate

Kristi, do you know what happens at the end of BG2?

For BG2 my favourite pick is swashbuckler. Trap detection, levels fast, UAI, capable melee combatant and he can set traps to cheese some tougher fights if necessary.

Darn. This thread has got me in the mood to try this again. I finished BG1 once when it released. Played BG2 till the fish people then lost interest.

Will give a fighter/mage a go. It strikes me that Gorion would have a human heir, so I will go dual class once my fighter hits level 7. The character will start as a Berserker as that seems to fit their lineage. It didn’t occur to me to dual Imoen to a mage when I played before, so I will do so once she makes level 6 thief. Minsc and Dynaheir and Kivan will be in the party too and maybe a sixth.

I choose longswords and warhammer as that seems a good mix for melee because pesky golems.

I’m far from a min maxer and this feels right to me. As the bard said, “The play’s the thing.”

Here for your viewing pleasure is Bill Nighy the Berserker in training.

I’m in. Once you pierce through the veil of ugly, the core gameplay of the original Baldur’s Gate really holds up. Looking forward to guiding my fragile level 1 chaotic good cleric Marcus Agrippa to godlike levels.

For reasons that will be clear when you get to the end of Throne of Baal that’s simply not possible. They may well let you import a save and have some side characters show up or some impacts from past decisions or something, but character import just isn’t going to work here.

My first impression was you are right … then I thought back at the end of Throne… I had to use a lotta memory cells… and I wasn’t sure.

My current recollection is we could still have a character after throne --albeit level 25 or some god crazy level. I plan on seeing it done and then seeing.

(ps I love arguing with you!)

1. And a god. Literally. I just don’t see how they’d do it.

Wasn’t one of the options at the end to not become a god?

(Spoilering a twenty year old game…)

Yeah, but they’re not going to make the ability to character import dependent on an end-of-game decision, I wouldn’t think.

Well, the precedent from BG 1 to 2 is that they just decided on a canon for the events of the first game, but that was mostly w.r.t. secondary characters (and items, I guess). I think the bigger issue is going from god-like 2e level 25 (or whatever) characters to whatever they’re doing this time. Is it even AD&D?

Guys? I think they’d do it. My thought is if you had a remainder save game from BG2 and Throne… you may have a save game ready for BG3.

And Vin I know you hated the armor mechanic in Larien’s previous game. Guess well have to see if they do a ……thing to let you, but my recollection of Throne of Baal – and I hate to admit to being a nerdie von nerdie – was that there was still room to wiggle.

Anyone do the Black Pits?

I finished The Black Pits in BG1 without much difficultly but Black Pits II in BG2 is much more difficult as it scales very quickly to epic end-game character difficulty and you can’t pre-buff for the fights like BP1.

There’s this halfling mage with a trio of elemental princes that is a total asshole to kill and this is only the second tier.

It’s BG:EE 1 & 2 plus Siege of Dragonspear that ruined PC gaming for me. Playing them on the iPad (occasionally rotating them with FTL and Minecraft) there never seems to be a reason to get my arse off the couch and back at the computer desk.

If they’re actually using D&D rules that shouldn’t be an issue. If they’re not using D&D rules I’m not interested in the game. So it’ll work out one way or the other.

As my party was entering the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost, Jaheira and Khalid turned on Montaron and Xzar on the steps of the Inn and cut them down. There was some quick exchange of words, then all four were removed from the party and their circles turned blue and just like that Xzar was down and his mate was soon to follow. Then J and K requested that they rejoin the party.

I don’t recall this happening in the original, but then I didn’t keep M and X around for very long way back then. If I recall when members of different alignment were in the party there would be some bickering before things turned ugly, this was so quick I didn’t know what was happening and why all four had left the party. My PC and Imoen went through the door of the Inn and were alone and when I sent them outside those four were flailing away.

Huh. I certainly knew that they could come to blows, but like you, I thought that was the kind of thing that had to escalate with time.

My guess is that if they let you import a BG2 end game character into BG3 you would somehow lose your powers very early on.

My recollection is that the Beregost encounter is scripted to occur. It’s even messier given that there are number of “bounty hunter” encounters that occur at the various inns. I think there’s one that happens pretty early in the game, which is especially tricky since you’re probably what, level 2?

The challenge with allowing BG2 characters into a 3rd game is that BG2 lets you go up to somewhere around level 40. At which point, you’re a demigod, and even liches try to talk their way out of having to fight you.

Oh hell, this thread has me installing BG1 Enhanced. Help me.

I played BG1 3 times…1st with a party I created (was in the mind-set of old gold box games), then with the standard in-game characters, and then with some mod back 10 or 15 years ago that added new content. This game was such a big deal to me as I recall because there had been so few good RPGs for a few years before it.

Then I played BG2, and got near the end of Throne of Bhaal. But my PC died and I never picked it up again. Played a fighter/cleric. I remember being god-like near the end and just exploding rooms full of undead… I think. It’s been a long time.

I’ll see if I’m still up for some old-school CRPGs.

Doing this mainly to prepare for BG3

I also have never finished BG2, and this thread and BG3 announcement make it seem like now is the time. I still have my spiral bound BG2 manual!