Replaying Baldur's Gate

I took Edwin with me and when I’ve arrived to Gnoll Fortress he urged me to go he told me he got fed up. So I left him in some other place, went and killed Dynaher, came back and continued travelling. Didn’t even get paid!

Right now I’m playing Far Cry 5, before that I played nothing but Monster Hunter: World - Iceborne for months. I’ve played Atom on release and it was quite enjoyable, but they’ve apparently patched it a lot since then so maybe I’ll take it for another spin soon.

Bat I really liked Far Cry 5 except for all that religious rigmarole that made very little sense.

There was an element of chaos in that game that is great.

So yeah Bal you reminded me about the damn half orc strength. Half-orcs are smelly and too – I dunno…damn now I am going to restart my barbarian as a half-orc cause ill be str 20 when I move to BG2 (or that addon/exapndion from beamdog).

Aaand I fucked up and missed out on the Gauntlets of Ogre Power.

You’d figure after 6-7 playthoughs I would know better, but nooo.

His quest is pretty much killing a bunch of people. I was a bit surprised how much content there was. He has character side quests in each game which includes its own new areas/maps. BG1, BG2, and even ToB. It climaxes with a visit to Heaven. And probably gives you the only way to kill a certain ship captain that always manages to escape.

I did a full Evil run a while ago and it was the bomb. Korgan, Dorn, Edwin, Viconia. All of them single classed (which meant fast leveling), and all of them considerably more powerful than their good aligned counterparts. I was mowing down enemies like it was going out of style. Highly recommend it. Fwiw, my PC was a chaotic evil swashbuckler. The only thing that sucked a bit was that I had to align myself with the Thieves Guild because of my chosen class, but I think you could avoid that by going fighter/thief.

Ahh you missed the assault on the Thieves guild. Kinda fun because you have to go through their gauntlet room, and they’re thieves so they die like fire to paper.

I think it makes way more sense to align with the Thieves though, even if maybe evil aligned. Don’t they both give you a matched discount? The vampires make no sense in hindsight given they instantly betray you afterwards AKA the fem vamp is literally the sister of Irenicus the asshole who captured you.

Fighter/thief is the jam, I’m telling you.

Though Hexxat seems like she could be fun, so I may try something more exotic for my next evil party.

Multiclass? Do you go for maximum backstab potential AKA you’ll want to use invisibility potions…

Taking Jan in BG2 used to be a must with an evil party until they added Hexxat. Jan is awesome though. All his equipment buffs his thief skills and you don’t have to care about hide in shadows/move silently. He is an illusionist mage. Just cast invisibility.

I was convinced to play BG1 again by this thread. Never done an Evil play though and stopped my original play through when I was like 10 years old? Once I reached Baldur’s Gate. I’ve mentioned before how much I hate large cities in RPGs. BG1 doesn’t make city exploration easy and really slows down the pacing.

I’ve never picked up fan favorites like Viconia or Edwin before, so that’s fun. Can’t believe how easy it was to pick up Viconia early on.

Also - I still hate cities. Walking through Beregost (sp). I can’t tell where most of the doors to the buildings are. Most of them aren’t even highlighted by the “highlight everything” tool. I never ran into Kagain in BG1 before - probably because his shop is practically hidden - and had to try 3 times to find the shop he was hidden in.

The nostalgia is real though. I’m cheating to find the party that I want to roll with and quite surprised at how large the cast of companions is. I was rolling with some real lamers my original play through (Xan and Garrick). Jaheira is still awful too - I killed her and sadly Khalid in the tavern. The guests didn’t seem to mind.

Multi or dual zerker into thief, either is valid. I prefer zerker to thief at 9, because grandmaster quarterstaves and fuck mind flayers.

Invis pots are a luxury. Boots of speed around the corner tends to get the job done when needed. Honestly GM staves generally means you may as well just hang out and pound things into paste after gibbing the initial target.

Oh, and invis is just a second level touch target mage spell. So running to a mage for a quick invis works just fine too.

Obviously this is all for BG2. BG1 is a neat PoC, but BG2 is the real deal ;)

So I ran a multiclass fighter/thief halfling duel-wielding katanas in The Black Pits 2. She was easily the weakest link in the party but I suppose it was due to having too many unneeded thief levels, or I just treated her like a fire and forget fighter, or in contrast to my other classes being totally OP.

Monks are complete trash/worst class ever at low level, mid level, continuing the suckage…but totes amaze balls at high level. Stupid good. Two mages. Sword and Board Paladin. Ranger/Archer for that constant arrow ping. (No cleric!)

Jeebus everyone I really want to play this again now.

Also I was thinking about it in the shower and it was really grinding my gears that they didn’t just make THAC0 a simple to-hit bonus and AC a simple defense bonus and then say you hit if d20 + attack bonus - defense bonus > 10. It would be the exact same except that everything would make sense and higher numbers would be better. (And you’d start with to-hit bonus=0 and defense bonus=0 instead of THAC0=20 and AC=10.)

I’m sure I’m only the eleventy-billionth person to complain about this.

Now that I’m in endgame (I guess so cause I have done almost everything there is to do in the city itself and now go for expansion locations) I’m getting tired of status effect spells. Mass confusion or whatever it is. I don’t see any spells or scrolls or potions to counter it. I just bait with tank till they confuse him but it feels like cheesing. Also I’d be fine with ressurecting people but it means leaving items on the ground, going to the temple and coming back. Which is not even always possible.

I know it’s not XCOM strategic puzzle but it feels like I’m missing something. It’s always either a straightforward fight or this damned mass confusion.

Always kill the mage first, or launch your own mass confusion spells, or use summons (Animate Dead) and send them in first, but preferably all of the above.

Mages in BG1 won’t have a lot of magical protections so launching a combined alpha strike of magic arrows (Protection from Normal Missiles IS one of the more common protections in BG1) and magic missiles should fuck them up. I run two mages so that is twice the magic.

Yeah, no one can die. Ever. If someone dies, it’s a reload.

I’m about done myself and the inventory bullshit is really wearing on me. So many damn scrolls to explain someone’s evil plan. IIRC they get rid of most of that in BG2.

Isn’t there a wand of resurrection as well as spells of resurrection?

Hey, that is part of the old school charm. You are slowly working your way up the ranks of those behind the iron shortage conspiracy.

I like how everyone writes letters and signs with a single initial. Follow the letters!

No rod in BG1. Jaheira is too low level to rez because she’s multiclassed. Not sure if one of the single class clerics would be level 9 by the end of the game to cast raise dead.

Dorn is super overpowered. Just picked up the drow sorcerer and watching all of his spells roll out is super neat. Seems OP as well.