Republic of Rome forum game II

Shepherds vote yes. (7)

Optimates vote yes

@Knightsaber-- any prosecutions?

Not that I guess anyone would vote for them…

I was planning on no prosecutions.

Wars are far more worrying.

Back to Flaminius for any remaining business, then. @antlers

Flaminius will propose a bunch of things at once, so if there is consensus we can get right to the battle rolls.

1. Build 5 fleets
2. Raise 5 legions
3. Send the 5 fleets to Aemilius to reinforce his war with the Carthaginians
4. Send the Dictator and the Master of Horse with 9 legions to fight the Gauls

If any one has any objections to these proposals, we can do another vote on that and the subsequent ones.

If Flaminius is sent to war, the Senate will be adjourned, so if you want to do something else this session, let us know.

All may vote
@scottagibson
@Knightsaber
@CF_Kane

Assidui give 11 votes to all 4 proposals

If Flaminius is sent to war, as HRAO, the senate session will be immediately adjourned.

Oops, yes. I’ll amend the original post.

7 votes for all 4 proposals.

In general you can’t combine different types of proposals for one vote. So here you could vote on 1 & 2 together (both raise forces) and 3 & 4 together (both send forces to war).

But I’m happy for this to be done by acclamation on this occasion, as everyone already seems to be on board and it saves time. If anyone would like to complain about this, feel free to do so here or in PM and I’ll make the votes go separately.

Populares vote for all proposals.

No need to split up this time, but we should do so in the future.

So we are just waiting to see if Optimates (@scottagibson) uses a tribune veto on any of the proposals. If so, the subsequent proposals in the list will be considered as if they were never proposed.

Tribune vetos are disallowed because the proposals came from a dictator. There are still technically other actions that might affect things (assassination, tribune to propose something), but more realistically we should wait for the Optimates anyway in case they want to make suggestions for something else to do, amendments to the plan etc.

The Optimates are for all four proposals, of course. We vote Yes.

rho has been typing for like an hour, so I think we should start being nervous.

Combat

The senate is closed for the year as the first dictator of Rome, Gnaeus Flaminius Corniger, marches north to face the might of the Gauls. Vae victis!

But first we turn to the ongoing battle with Carthage for naval supremacy. Aemilius has a slightly larger fleet this year, but again finds the straits well held by Hannibal’s smaller force. It seems there is little to learn from a repeat performance of last year, but the orders that arrived with the replacement ships make it clear the senate will not accept a tame effort.

So Aemilius orders his flagship to the attack alongside the first squadron into the straits, hoping his presence will inspire his men to greater efforts and a great victory. And by Jupiter, it works! The Carthaginian line is buckling before the well-coordinated assault of the Roman fleet, with a little assistance from siege engines set up on the eastern coastline by the grateful people of Rheggium.

But Aemilius’ exposed position turns from an advantage into a disadvantage in an instant. Recognising that an ornate ship must surely be the Roman flagship, Hamilcar orders into the fight his best crews, held in reserve until now. Speed and skillful manoeuvring drives one quinquereme through the Roman lines in a flash and straight into the side of the flagship, which sinks almost at once with all hands. The loss of their commander breaks the Romans: many of their ships turn and flee the straits, those that remain are condemned to eventual destruction or capture.

When all is tallied in Neptune’s books, losses are roughly even between the sides. But despite such a strong showing from the inexperienced Roman sailors, the battle is a tactical victory for Carthage.

1st Punic War

I rolled a 12 again, so the same result as last year: stalemate and one quarter of fleets lost (4/16).
Again four mortality chits against Aemilius (19) only: 6, None, 19.
That’s not the final chit, so Aemilius is killed in the fighting.
The remaining 12 fleets return to Rome. Correction: they stay on the war.

But what news from the northern hills? Could the dictator bring Rome a great victory to help the people forget the setback in the Punic war?

On the second night before the anticipated battle outside the walls of Arretium, the Romans camped on the shores of a large lake. The soldiers were rowdy, speaking of the upcoming battle with exaggerated bravado masking an undercurrent of fear. The dictator and his master of horse had no chance of sleeping with such a din so were discussing strategy late into the night. Just as the noise from the camp fires was dying down outside, a new commotion arose. Their guards assumed the soldiers were just making merry again, but the experienced Flaminius immediately recognised the sounds of battle. Somehow, the Gauls had stolen a march and launched an attack on the unprepared Roman camp!

He emerged from the command tent to see fires spreading among the tents in the farthest section of the camp. The legionaries, many somewhat drunk, were slow to respond despite the shouts of Flaminius and his officers, and Fabius took nearly half an hour to rally his cavalry.

By that time it was too late. Many soldiers had been killed in their tents, others had been driven into the water: it was that or naked into the spears of the Gauls. A fair proportion of those who did reach the lake drowned. Some were too wounded to hold themselves above water and a fair few couldn’t swim at the best of times.

The Gauls slipped away into the night with Fabius giving chase but finding only a few small bands to ride down.

Flaminius’ anger was incandescent. His diminished army pursued the Gauls for vengeance but was now too small to seek a decisive battle and had to make do with relieving the siege of Arretium.

1st Gallic War

I rolled a 13, which is a disaster! Half of the Roman legions are lost (5/9).
Unrest increases by 1, to 1.
Flaminius loses 2 popularity.
Five mortality chits are drawn against Flaminius (13) and Fabius (2): 9, 20, 21, 15, 5. Both survive.
Flaminius remains with the 4 surviving legions as Proconsul; Fabius returns to Rome.

I was so right.

Yeah, though I would probably have spent roughly the same amount of time describing a glorious victory.

Incidentally, I’ve made a slight correction: the fleet does not return to Rome after losing its commander, it remains on the war. Next year it will not fight the war unless issued with a new commander. It can of course be recalled by vote of the senate.

Good lord, a double disaster.

We’re going to need a lot of help from the RNG now.