Republic of Rome forum game II

To follow up, we may need to fight multiple wars next turn, and it makes sense to keep the easier Illyrian war for next turn, and hope that we pull the easier wars (Syrian, First Illyrian) rather than the other Macedonian war, then we might be able to eliminate two in one turn and pull Scipio for the Punics.

Sorry, misread your response, so ignore my deleted post.

Aren’t we essentially unable to recruit this year, because of Evil Omens?

That means the Illyrian was is the only one we can knock off almost certainly.
(sorry I was on the road this morning)

Ah uh oh. That will distinctly hurt next year as well, if we can’t recruit as we like.

What does this sentence in the rules mean?

When counting Active Wars [4 and Rome is defeated (1.12.2)], each Matching War card is considered a single War.

I’m hoping that it means the First and Second Punic wars together count as a single war for the purposes of determining war count, but it’s ambiguous and there is no clarifying example.

@rho21 We nominate Furius of the Populares and Fabius of the Optimates as Consuls this year, with the hope they allow one of the Assidui to take the Censor office.

Shepherds vote yes (14)

@scottagibson @antlers @CF_Kane

Populares vote yes

Wait, does Evil Omens do that? I thought it just gave us -1 die modifiers. It’s the manpower shortage that doubles recruiting cost.

@rho21

(Can I say I hate the rulebook?)

I’ve been trying to find an image of the Evil Omens card but no dice.

You are entirely correct.

That is annoyingly unclear, now that you mention it. I’ve always read it as despite that these wars are related, each one counts as an active war. Especially as there’s nothing about matching wars in the section that’s actually about loss conditions.

Edit: a discussion on BGG agrees with this interpretation.

If there’s no manpower shortage, I’m agreeing with eyeing Macedonia this year.

Me too, bigly. @rho21, can we withdraw the proposal because we misunderstood the rules?

The Consuls are still fine either way.

Nope, we need Fabius as Dictator.

Oh true we need a military gang.

@rho21 Help?

You only have 22 votes in so far, the other two can vote it down :)

Cruelty.

We implore @scottagibson and @antlers to vote no, so that we can properly sort things out.

Optimates vote No

@antlers, please vote No so we can make the right proposal.