Republic of Rome forum game II

The anticipation leading up to Aelius’ state of the Republic speech is greater than normal. Between the plague, the looming menace from Carthage, and the wars won in the East, change is in the air.

Putting Rome in order

(yay, I remembered!)
Hannibal destroys the tax farmer concessions on Valerius and Fabius Maximus.
Of the four destroyed tax farmers now in the Curia, two are repaired.
The families of Julius and Sulpicius return to prominence.
And Philip V dies.

Population

Hannibal’s raiding parties again cause serious damage to Roman property. How does he continue to evade or destroy all the patrols and strike so deep into the heart of Roman territory?

Better news from the east though, where Philip V of Macedon took ill this last winter and died. Reports are unclear, but it seems likely he died of the same epidemic that caused such panic in Rome. Mentioning which, the great senatorial families devastated by the plague are starting to recover their former influence.

With these fortuitous tidings, Aelius takes to the podium to speak to the people. Unfortunately, it appears that he has had a little too much to drink at the celebrations to mark the approaching end of his dictatorship. Still, his slurred words are mostly met with derision rather than anger, and the people are more entertained than annoyed.

But rushing through the crowd comes a messenger from the eastern walls. With his usual impeccable timing, Hannibal has marched into sight of Rome, his personal standard fluttering mere miles away, in front of a large cloud of dust presaging the size of his army.

Aelius stumbles from the stage to deal with the crisis and the crowd panics. The legions rush from the city as soon as they can be mustered, but they discover that Hannibal was at the head of just a small force of cavalry which has escaped quickly to the south. The large plume of dust had been raised by dragging cunning contraptions behind some of the horses, found discarded by the legions.

So a raid not against Rome’s strength but against its morale, and an effective one at that. The city is in chaos, the competence of its leaders very much in question - with unrest rising commensurately. And when it comes to recruitment to replace the veteran soldiers retiring from the legions this year, few can be found who will trust their lives to such leaders.

State of the Republic

Unrest starts at 2 and goes up to 4 thanks to two unprosecuted wars.
The HRAO is dictator Aelius, who has 3 popularity for a net -1.
The dice roll is 4, modified to 3. This results in +5 to unrest and a manpower shortage!

Senators may wish to consider a popular leader for next year, and sponsoring a veritable feast of entertainment.

Good cripes.

Senate

@CF_Kane: Aelius looks shaken, opening the senate for this year. Which senators will he nominate as consuls?

Macedonicus is the hero of Rome. We will need him to be the Rome consul this year. Hopefully his pride will not swell so that he takes on regal designs. I also recommend that he is named Advocate for any prosecutions this year; that way we can reduce his influence without reducing his popularity.

I don’t think we should pursue any wars or recruiting this year. Fortunately, we have strength in reserve for any minor wars that might pop up.

I intend to nominate Macedonius, in hopes that he makes a good Rome Consul. I am concerned that @Knightsaber is becoming very powerful, with a stable of strong influence statesmen and the shipbuilding concession.

For the other Consul, I lean towards Aurelius.

I honestly can’t figure out where we are in the rotation. I will nominate these two, and you guys can let me know if there are any objections.

Aelius nominates Macedonius and Aurelius as Consuls.

@CF_Kane, I don’t necessarily object, but I think it is your turn for a consulship this year.

I can get subbed in next year, not a big deal.

Very well.

Optimates vote Yes

Our rotating consulship agreement ends next year.

Assidui cast 14 votes for Aemilus Macedonicus and Aurelius for consul

I’m not thrilled with a minor prosecution of Cornelius just because Scipio is out there, but I will agree to it if we also give Fabius Cunctator a minor, and Aemilius Macedonicus agrees to Advocate each. Furius can be censor, and Manilius can be Prosecutor. This will balance out the offices this year and balance influence the best we can right now. Under Advocate rules we can’t fool around with the voting since the actual outcome is affected by dice roll.

Shepherds vote Yes.

I’m not terribly worried about Cornelius this year either. I have a lot to think about.

I think, to all intents and purposes, it already has. We now are in the phase where we have to balance the personal interests of powerful statesmen against the need of the state for their particular services.

What would be really interesting is something like Populares deciding to attempt an assassination of Cornelius so they are able to play Scipio themselves.

Interesting but dangerous.

@CF_Kane, I believe you still need to vote, but it’s already a majority.

Also @antlers do you agree Macedonius should be Rome Consul for the State of the Republic speech, at the very least?

I have no insane ambitions this year. Just lowering unrest and balancing influence.

Yes. Aurelius agrees that if he and Aemilius are consul, Aemilius vanquisher of Macedon will be the Rome consul

Populares vote yes.

@rho21 probably would like a pause for bookkeeping purposes.