Republic of Rome forum game II

@scottagibson, will you enter into a public agreement to prosecute certain high influence senators?

We’ve publicly agreed on prosecutions before. It’s hardly unprecedented.

We have, and this turn I will not enter one.

I might if I can choose them. Otherwise I prefer freedom of action at this point. If noble Macedonicus insists on nominating my faction members to offices, why should I vote against that?

Let me know when you use mine so I can get some vicarious pleasure from it LOL.

Yours was the first one I used.

I knew it. It felt familiar somehow.

This got ugly fast. Macedonius is a threat to win. It is a dangerous game to not do something to reduce his influence this turn. Of course, Fabius is waiting in the wings, so there is that.

Some sort of public agreement would sure raise the level of mutual trust. Without mutual trust bad things happen.

That’s an assassin threat if I’ve ever seen one.

We had public agreements and mutual trust when you stole my card.

Yes, that’s the problem in a nutshell.

@scottagibson, would you publicly commit to prosecuting Macedonius this turn?

Probably you should check card counts. It’s pretty clear Macedonicus will veto any prosecution directed at him, and then make reprisals against the offenders.

(I am not the one who insisted he be Consul.)

Well, good luck to the two of you then. Well played.

There was a reasonable plan: Aelius does a minor on Fabius and one other (I was willing to have Cornelius be the other). Aemilius acts as Advocate and loses 6 influence but retaiins his popularity for dealing with the mob. Fabius loses influence, backing him away from tyranny. Cornelius loses influence, backing Scipio away from tyranny if Assidui ever gets its hands on him (which in the current climate is by no means certain). Manilius gains 6 influence to balance Optimates losses.

This is a delicate balance. Assidui could force the Censor to go to Populares or Assidui, but there is little point in that if Optimates and Shepherds will block the prosecutions. If Optimates and Shepherds have entered into a secret compact against the other factions, soon we must all be sharpening our knives.

All of this is true.

Vote? Veto?

This is quite disingenuous. No prosecutions were proposed against Macedonicus, and you have no cards to veto prosecutions against Fabius.

A minor prosecution produces -5 popularity, and you won’t permit Fabius to regain popularity as the commander in a war. That’s a losing proposition.

None proposed?