Republic of Rome forum game

Mortality

Between the recent mob violence and unfortunate combat losses, Rome is far shorter of leading senators than it has been in recent memory. But perhaps it is the weak who were weeded out by this process. Certainly everyone is looking hale and hearty this spring, now that the excesses of Saturnalia have worn off. Well, all except Aurelius, who has always looked a bit sickly at the best of times. Still, even he seems well enough.

Revenue

Faction Revenue

Player Senators Knights Concessions Offices Total Income Previous Total Money
@scottagibson 5 2 4 0 11 4 15
@Juan_Raigada 5 3 11 5* 24 60 84
@Panzeh 4 3 4 0 11 11 22
@CraigM 5 1 2 0 8 1 9
@Kolbex 4 3 7 1** 15 28 43

* Provincial spoils from Gallia Cisalpina (@Juan_Raigada: your governor already has a corruption marker and the province is developed, so I’m going to assume you’ll take spoils every turn.)
** Pontifex Maximus income

@Panzeh, @Kolbex: there is a level 1 drought in effect so you may double your grain concession income if you wish in exchange for a loss of 2 popularity on the relevant senator.

Players, please distribute these funds as you see fit between faction and personal treasuries.
You may also trade money at this time.

Province Development
All provinces are developed already.

State Revenue and Expenses

Base Wars Legions Fleets Land Bills Provinces Net Income Previous Treasury New Treasury
100 -40 -38 -16 -10 8 4 79 83
  • Gallia Cisalpina (2d6-1): 8

Senators may make contributions to the state to gain influence
(10T => 1 influence, 25T => 3 influence, 50T => 7 influence)

Noble Senators, what do we mean to do this year?

We muster 24 (5 veterans and 14 others) strength in legions at the moment, and 8 fleets.

We can raise 6 more legions, to reach 30 strength, and send good Scipio as Dictator and Macedonicus as MH to fight the second Punic war on an even footing (40 vs 40). This gives us no better than a 31% to win outright. Odds of defeat are actually greater at 43%. This is…not attractive, but the odds will not get better with time as (I think) our limit on legions is 25 total.

The first Punic War would be an easier fight save for the fleet battle. We need to raise at least 12 fleets to meet them on an even basis (again assuming Scipio and Macedonicus) and of course the odds of winning are no better. Raising 17 fleets puts us at +5, which gives us a 62% chance of winning the fleet battle. But we would need 170 talents for that, and we have only 79. And we must have enough more to avoid bankrupting Rome next year.

I fear we are doomed, unless we can bring ourselves to open our purses and come to Rome’s aid.

All right, I hope the Senate (or at least part of it) is open to negotiation).

I’m calling those two factions because they are the possible HRAO during slate nomination and they together command enough votes to pass the slate. If other factions want to join on the agreement in principle, that’s fine, but those two are the ones I would feel comfortable with at minimum.

This is a very generous deal in the spirit of collaboration. DESPITE two prosecutions AND an assassination attempt. I am willing to repair any burnt bridge.

However, I will not engage in negotiations over this, not after all the unwarranted animosity, the proposal is final. I urge the mentioned faction leaders to consider. Otherwise you can’t honestly expect the Eastern grain Company to collaborate with an openly hostile Senate.

I would rather Rome fall than give Eastern Grain Company a crown.

Beware that given their enormous treasury, any office given to that faction puts them at risk of declaring themselves Consul for life.

How so?

the only player who can even get a Consul for life nomination going (enough influence) is the Rex Antiquis (who has voted with you and Virtus Romana in every vote against me, btw, so I wouldn’t discount a secret alliance). You are only 3 influence away. It is you guys who should not get office.

I am giving away 50 talents with that agreement. I would lose most of my treasury.

I am so fed up with the animosity. Look, sorry I broke your chance at an early game triumvirate. Can we adults discuss peacefully now?

Edit: whatever. Let @scottagibson and @Kolbex decide on whether they’d prefer me contributing or start taking action like you and your Virtus Romana lackey did. I think I’ve been very patient and collaborative so far, given the circumstances.

In distributing your wealth I should remind everyone there will be one initiative to bid for this turn. The successful bid must come from the personal treasury of a single senator.

So I will distribute the 9 to Fulvius, as before.

Also, side talk, but that ship building concession seems so much more powerful than any other. Perhaps the (as yet unseen) Legion one would be as well. But the ship building one seems game distortingly strong.

Especially if we have a storm.

Armaments can be even more strong when it shows up early. I think the balance is in the political position you lose by being so obviously strong financially.

Yup, among people who know the game, one of the useful things to understand is that obviously strong positions(having a big treasury, for example) tend to preclude a player from being able to get appointed.

I thank the Noble Papirius for his generosity and dedication to Rome. I have considered his offer most carefully, with an eye toward the wars that plague us, but I cannot see how this offer on its own will save us.

We need fleets, 17 more of them. 50 talents from the Eastern Grain Company is a handsome sum, but it is not enough to meet our needs. If every other faction were ready to commit their own fortunes to this effort, then it would be enough; but my sense of the Senate is that this is not the case.

If I err in that judgement, I invite @CraigM @Panzeh @Kolbex to speak their mind now. And if @Juan_Raigada is prepared to increase his offer, let him also speak.

Otherwise, it is clear we cannot fight a war this year. And, if that is the case, then 50 talents is not enough to agree to permanent office for the Eastern Grain Company.

@rho21, I lodge all of my funds, including faction treasury, with Calpurnicus

I was asking for this turn, not permanent!!!

I repeat, I have not had an office since turn 1

Ah, I realize that I misunderstood this:

I realize now that you mean if multiple slates are required for this year, I thought by every slate you meant in perpetuity. My bad.

The economics are still the same, though. Unless all Senators are prepared to donate substantially to the Senate, we cannot fight the wars we face. So I will await their pleasure.

Eh, yeah, requiring consulship in perpetuity would have been certainly an overreach :P

I will idly observe, with absolutely no agenda, that the EGC’s generous donation of 50 talents with which to build fleets to oppose Rome’s enemies will be repaid to the tune of 51 talents (should we build the required 17 fleets) thanks to the shipbuilding concession. Truly a noble sacrifice for the good of all.

I could contribute some of that later, for sure. For this round, however, it is a very generous offer, I think.

I got 30 talents from shipbuilding last turn (when you objected to my profit) and I’m proposing to contribute 50

I like to assume there’s lots of diplomacy going on in the background, but it’s time to poke this thread and get things moving again.

Take the double money and put it all on Claudius

I mean, I’m not diplomacing, just waiting on a public decision.

Assuming there’s none, all cash goes with Fabius

Agree, as much as I’d like to see a cooperative deal at this point, there seem to be no takers. So we should move on.