Republic of Rome forum game

One question, when do harbour fees trigger?

Revenue phase, they’re included in your total.

The one that hasn’t produced you anything yet is Shipbuilding, which triggers when the senate builds fleets, 3 talents for each.

Aelius keeps 5 talents. The rest goes into the treasury.

5 talents to Flaminius. 1 talent goes into the treasury.

All funds with Manlius

8 Talents to Claudius

5T to Cornelius, 5T to Valerius and 3 to the treasury

Two into faction treasury, the remainder into Aemilius

Travel complete; I’ll get all that money moved about shortly.

Edit: Done, shout if I’ve misunderstood or lost some of your money.

Forum

The people seem more amenable to recruitment now, so the senate asks the Pontifex Maximus to slaughter a goat to see if the gods are once again happy with Rome. Lucius Aemilius Paullus discharges this duty solemnly, selecting the very finest goat from the temple district pens and slaughtering it on the steps of the temple of Mars for all to see, for it is widely rumoured that Rome will be marching against the Gauls this season.

But as the entrails spill across the marble, the large crowd of onlookers sees the haruspices recoil in horror. The intestines, it turns out, are severely discoloured. This can only be another Evil Omen!

Aemilius spends all he can on temple offerings to mitigate this, even raiding the faction treasury, but it isn’t enough. At last the priests are satisfied that the gods have been at least mosty placated, but by then Aemilius has been stripped of office in his disgrace.

Game mechanics

The remaining effects from last year expired, both the evil omens and the manpower shortage.
Then at the start of the Eastern Grain Company turn an event happened, which was evil omens once again.
This is very bad for the Pontifex Maximus, who must immediately pay 20 talents from personal treasury or be stripped of his office for major corruption.
As he didn’t have this much, the rest plus a 10 talent fine is levied from the faction treasury. There wasn’t enough there either, so Rome pays the difference (ignoring the fine), which comes to 9 talents. Ouch, @CraigM.
To the players, I’m really sorry. I swear I’m using random.org.
To the lurkers, would you care for some popcorn?

@Juan_Raigada: it is your initiative in the forum, what would you like to do?

Use the five talents to try to get a knight

You succeed (roll 4). Anything further?

I though you can only do one action?

In order (in theory at least), you may:

• Make 1 persuasion attempt
  • Attract a knight OR pressure knights
  • Sponsor one set of games
  • Change faction leader

I am happy for you to make a persuasion attempt this turn if you want to, given the rules misunderstanding. You probably won’t get great odds though anyway, I haven’t calculated.

Does the Evil Omen die modifier not go into effect because of the payoff? Or are we at -1 again?

We’re at -1 again, I’m afraid. The payoff happens whatever, presumably to stop the omens being even worse.

We are at -1 again.

The gods must be crazy.

If I understand correctly I lose nothing trying to persuade Sulpicius without bribes. If it is so, I attempt the persuasion.

Virtus Romana would look kindly, as if upon a friend, on all who would allow us the opportunity to add Senator Sulpicious to our faction.