Republic of Rome forum game

Nothing to play from me, I’m ready to go.

Yep, I’ve got your plays recorded (and have removed the cards from your hand in the private message).

We had a discussion about open deals recently:

@rho we made it a deal in the open so it would be “public”. 😀

Yeah, I just think for avoidance of doubt both parties should say that it’s an official deal.

Yeah, the way we did it live was that a public deal is binding when the people involved have shaken hands on it.

The above deal is public. @CraigM?

Yes, it is public

The Kolbexarii have no further business at this time and graciously consent for the turn to continue.

That hold-up was mostly my fault, I missed half a post.

Mortality Phase
Plautius of the Virtus Romana is taken before his time after a short illness. His heir is as yet too young to claim a place in the senate. The family returns to the Curia for now.

Revenue Phase
@Panzeh: 7 talents (3 for faction leader, 2 for senators, 2 for concessions)
@CraigM: 7 talents
@Kolbex: 7 talents
@scottagibson: 5 talents
@Navaronegun: 4 talents
@Juan_Raigada: 11 talents

Technically these are located on individual senators, but all players may now redistribute money freely between senators and faction treasury. (I’ll take more care if we have any rebel senators.) You may also transfer money freely to other factions at this time.

Money in the faction treasury is safe but difficult to access. Money on senators can be lost but is usable for other purposes such as recruiting knights.

I suggest you all PM me your decision on how to split your money.

Point of Order
We have another minor problem with the forum game. Face to face I find people aren’t watching each other too closely so after a few turns no-one really knows how much money is sitting in each faction treasury. All the information is public though, so it’s really easy to track in a forum game setting.

I can see three options for this:

• Play as normal; those who watch the money closely will have an advantage.
  • Publish faction treasuries freely. Saves you all the effort of tracking it.
  • Make a point of all agreeing not to watch too closely.

In a face to face game I would absolutely track it rigorously. Possible to be surprised, sure, but unlikely. In a forum game I’m far more prone to ‘wing it’ ironically.

I’m of the opinion that it should be public, as it effectively is public so long as people are paying attention on the tabletop version. One of those “hidden, but trackable” mechanics i don’t hugely care for.

Absolutely agreed with that, but I know a lot of people who insist on making me play a memory game alongside my strategy game.

I would play it openly, and have faction treasury be public as well; and as for that,

@rho21 I’ll put all 5 talents in the personal treasury of Flaminius.

Just make it open, I agree.

All my funds with the current Pater Familius of Manlius.

Make it open.

10 talents to Papirius, 1 to the treasury.

The noble families have wisdom, and understand that one may wield power more effectively if it is consolidated.

The Aemilius family will hold the treasury for the faction, as they are trusted to spend it wisely. All seven talents there.

Put it all(7 Talents) on Claudius.

@Kolbex still to go, but no reason not to tidy up the rest of the phase.

Rome earns 100 talents in income, then spends 8 of it on maintaining the existing four legions. That brings the total treasury to 192 talents. Senators may now make contributions to the state to gain influence. 1 influence for 10 talents, 3 for 25 talents, 7 for 50 talents.

With Rome’s treasury in a good state, I can’t imagine anyone except @Juan_Raigada (with 10 talents on hand to splash out) might even consider doing this, but the first time through is a good moment to call this process out explicitly.

Of course we all love Rome, but I got nuthin.

Rome should be frugal, self-sustaining, and leave her families and their property alone. No contributions.