Republic of Rome forum game

I was hypothesizing. It is not the time where we conduct prosecutions yet. If I were to agree to prosecute someone, I would specify exactly who I intend to prosecute.

Now, for the next proposal, Aelius and Calpurnicus. Eastern Grain Company votes first.

Ok, so the Eastern Grain Company really thinks Aelius is the best candidate for Rome consul, with his oratory and all that.

I will vote for that and a 4 military leader. Aemilius, as suggested above would work.

You know what, screw it. I want to be Rome Consul.

The Eastern Grain company votes yes.

Veto. Play tribune.

No more Graft! HRAO and the New Men are in cahoots!

1. Beware the Temporary Rome Consul. As the only Senator with prior Consular experience he automatically becomes Censor on turn 1. Allowing his faction to continue in power may give him too big a lead to overcome. He may offer great payments in exchange for the necessary votes to retain a consulship among his faction. Don’t let him do it cheaply

If we all oppose this, we have the votes to keep HRAO from trying to pull ahead with this New Men ploy.

Sorry for intruding but this somehow reminds me of the Battlestar Galactica forum games here. I’m beginning to think Navaronegun is a Cylon! :)

We are getting nowhere. If Aelius/Aemilius is proposed as the Virtus Romana suggested, the EGC will support such nomitation.

It seems to me that these tribunes would be better spent in the service of Rome. But that’s just me…

Frankly, I have no interest in empowering such a treacherous family who would waste so much of the plebs’ valuable time fussing and maneuvering.

I nominate Aelius and Flaminius. EGC, vote first.

Flaminus? A New Man cadidate again?

I’m shocked!!

Argh.

It’s not empowering me. I get nothing from all this. Except stopping you from running roughshod on Rome with your New Men lackey.

Ok, the Eastern Grain Company votes yes to this latest development. Hard to pass on a consulship on such a hostile climate…

Kolbexarii, vote.

The Kolbexarii vote in favor.

Incidentally, @rho21, would it be too much trouble to put your excellent “the way things stand” display into a Google Sheet for ease of reference?

I will vote in favor and carry the motion, barring the use of vetoes. @Navaronegun, @CraigM, and @scottagibson are the order of the remaining votes if they wish to announce their votes.

I have no veto I would use here, and will vote yes so we may simply move forward then.

Great idea. I’ll go for a shared PM to all of you though as I’m already storing it in a PM to myself. Feel free to complain if you’d much prefer a google sheet.

Note that vote tallies can also be (very temporarily) increased by spending money from senators’ personal treasuries. In this case it wouldn’t matter though, there’s not enough there to overcome the yes votes even before CraigM’s.

Point of order: A couple of thoughts about smoothing out the rules for forum games.

• I think it will speed things up in general if the presiding magistrate is allowed to call for the votes of several factions simultaneously, without needing to specify an order. Ideally when their choices might be expected not to depend on each other. Of course players should also feel free to leave instructions with me on how to cast their votes when they are called on.
  • It’s probably a good idea to announce the number of votes you are casting and the running totals as you do so.

Currently I believe the motion to elect Aelius of the Eastern Grain Company and Flaminius of the New Men as consuls stands at 34 in favour, 0 against.

Point of Order
One more question: would players like a list of cards remaining in the deck / hands for the current age, or is that better left as a pleasant surprise?

The New Men cast 8 votes for the election of Aelius and Flaminius, bringing the total to 42.

@rho21, how is it decided which of us is the Rome Consul?

The two elected consuls choose between themselves. If a mutual decision cannot be reached, it is decided randomly.