Republic of Rome forum game

No further prosecutions. The new Triumvirate’s tyrannical notions will make themselves plain in the actions of its members.

The Rome Consul takes centre stage again, @Juan_Raigada.

Well, this makes me think we might be making a mistake.

I call upon the Senate for guidance. Should we prosecute the war?

Discuss.

Draining the Senate’s coffers for no chance of victory seems like a good idea. Let’s not do that.

Going by the following we might have a decent chance, actually.

It will require raising 2 legions at 40 talents for a 16% chance. But it’s a stretch.

Bonus %Defeat %Stalemate %Victory %Victory
                                   NoLosses
-------------------------------------------
 0      16.2     67.6     16.2      0.5
 1       9.3     64.8     25.9      2.9
 2       4.7     57.8     37.5      4.7
 3       2.9     48.1     49.0      9.3
 4       0.5     37.0     62.1     16.2
 5               25.9     74.1     25.9
 6               16.2     83.8     37.5
 7                9.3     90.7     50.0
 8                4.7     95.3     62.5  
 9                2.9     97.1     74.1
10                0.5     99.5     83.8
11                       100.0     90.7
12                                 95.3
13                                 98.1
14                                 99.5
15                                100.0

Pursuing the War seems propitious. Flaminius would be an excellent Proconsul as well next month. I think we should prosecute the War. I thank HRAO for his statistics. I move we put the measure to a specific vote, HRAO.

Just to be clear, I’m just looking for opinions, not making a proposal.

I won’t force a vote until hearing all the Senate.

We might end up not voting.

A quick reminder to include the effect of evil omens and allow for the disaster and standoff rolls (natural 13 and 15 respectively).

Isn’t there a minimum force rule?

As much strength as the war. The Field consul has 4 military and we have 4 legions, so by raising 2 legions we would fulfill it.

We would lose 40 talents, but unrest would be kept in check and there’s a chance of winning.

Your opinion is important, though. It’s you Consul who is going there.

I think getting one war under control and prosecuted is important. If we have to reinforce him as a Proncosul next year, then so be it. We could always publicly vote on this year and a conditional proviso for reinforcing next year, if necessary, binding by Public Agreement. @scottagibson would get all the glory accruing to the efforts.

Having played this game a few times, the Early Republic can get out of hand really quick. The wars come fast and furious. As does the unrest, if unprosecuted. We could easily get two or three next forum phase.

My honest advice for Early Republic; if a war can be prosecuted, prosecute it.

Edit: And this is why I intellectually opposed the Triumvirate shennanigans this turn so ardently. During the Early and Middle Republic, everyone needs patronage and strength (money, influence, etc) to give Rome a deep bench of men and resources due to the problems that will be hitting us from all directions. There is plenty of time for draconican hoarding and purely selfish politics after the Social Wars, in the Late Republic.

Forty talents is very expensive. The general sent is automatically killed in the event of a defeat, correct?

Yes, it’s a gamble of an early loss versus a significant gain.

And we can only afford 2 more legions, maybe 3.

It’s for @scottagibson to decide, really.

It’s not a good idea.

The general also has a chance to be killed for each legion lost, even in the event of a Roman victory.

Sweet, being a general sounds really cool.

Next round we can send many more legions much more cheaply.

And win.

Agree. Why you shouldn’t run for office if you are afraid your Senator could die, @scottagibson !

Munus magnum cura magna!

That’s fine then. No war.

Ok, so let’s try this:

I propose a binding deal to appease @Navaronegun concerns. This guarantees war will be deal with swiftly, barring catastrophe.

Whoever is next year’s Rome Consul will:
-Raise 10 legions
-Send the Field Consul to war against the Gauls with 14 legions.
-Signatories to this deal will vote for the above two motions.

If I we get enough people agreeing we can make this work.