Republic of Rome forum game

I’m here, will read the rules then comment / question.

@rho21 Thanks for running this!

Ah, I think I miscounted and you have your six. Happy trails!

@Kolbex: I think we’re still at 5.

We are definitely at only five @Kolbex.

And I second Scott ‘s thanks for running this!

Oh, is @rho21 not participating? Well, if you guys don’t mind a first timer I would be very enthusiastic.

Just to kind of organize my opinions on the Advanced Rules:

2.01 PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
My Opinion:: The rules says it all, “This Advanced Rule adds minimal complexity and is highly recommended.”. It’s a neat, historical office, rare in that it’s for life, brings an income, but can cause a major penalty wit Evil Omens. I like it.

My Vote: Yes!

2.02 PROVINCIAL WARS
2.03 REBEL GOVERNORS

My Opinion: If we do wars, we should do governors. Having read it again, it isn’t that complicated. It just requires players to track their provincials armies and status. And the rewards (having an army to swing around) has a drawback (you have to maintain it and you can get attacked by wars when drawn).

My Vote: Sure, but I will not feel strongly if others aren’t keen.

2.04 LEGIONARY DISBANDMENT & RECALL

My Opinion: Neat Chrome with minimal complexity (the rules nail it).

2.05 ADVOCATES

My Opinion: Trials aren’t that frequent, so giving anyone who participates in the exoneration of an accused Senator a reward, or tainting those who aid the guilty seems like it wouldn’t create too much extra complexity.

2.06 PASSING LAWS

My Opinion: Unsure. It isn’t that complicated, but how many extra rounds of voting will this mandate? I am torn. Any thoughts?

My Vote: I am on a fence pending more discussion.

I’m moderating. I don’t think any of the players has played the game all that much, or recently, so you’ll fit right in.

2.01 PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
Happy to add this one in. It’s nice flavour, but does add a fair bit to moderation complexity, specifically in remembering there are extra votes in some circumstances.

2.02 PROVINCIAL WARS
2.03 REBEL GOVERNORS
I’d personally prefer to avoid these as it seems like a lot to track. If everyone’s in favour though, we can go with it.

Seems fine to me. Provides a nice minor bonus to victorious commanders early in the game, when civil wars are unlikely.

2.05 ADVOCATES
On second reading, I’m not too bothered either way on this. I think without it prosecutions are a bit too easy: what reason do most factions have to vote against? On the other hand it can add a fair bit of time as any senator invited to defend the accused will want to know which way the wind’s blowing before accepting the post. Prosecutions are pretty common so that could add up.

2.06 PASSING LAWS
I like this for flavour reasons: without it, it feels very weird for laws to just be applied to Rome without the senate getting a say in the matter. There are 5 laws each in the middle and late decks, so I’m not seeing this adding much time.

2.01 PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
This one’s fine by me.

2.02 PROVINCIAL WARS
2.03 REBEL GOVERNORS
I think i’d prefer not to have this myself for the reasons previously stated.

I’m for this.

2.05 ADVOCATES
I’m also for this.

2.06 PASSING LAWS
It doesn’t really matter to me either way. IIRC, the senate wasn’t the same kind of legislative body as congress so they didn’t often vote for changes in the law- it was more about a consul doing things and choosing the consul to do it.

Hard for me to judge, but I agree with the suggestions of @rho21 and @Panzeh.

I’d really like passing laws to be in. Will offer some nice flavor, I think.

Working my way through the rules. If a Trubune is used to make a proposal, can the proposal be vetoed by another Tribune, or does the ‘only one Tribune at a time’ rule apply?

Yes, a tribune can veto a tribune-led proposal (assuming it can be vetoed, which will effectively always be the case).

@scottagibson, I always dug the two tribune propose/veto rule as it really can lead to some Gracchi-esque game tension.

I’m done with the rules and frankly, pretty excited to play.

Is everyone ready to go? Would you rather have more time to read the rules? Would you prefer to just start later? Would you like a one-turn trial run just to iron out any flaws in the process and get the hang of how it all plays?

For reference, I’m going to be away from home from 16th - 21st and again from 23rd - 28th. This shouldn’t prevent me updating things, but working from a phone might limit how many pictures I can post and how purple my prose can be.

I’m as ready as I am going to be. I think a one turn trial run sounds good.

I like the idea of a one-turn trial run.

I do see some moderation challenges for a forum game, but I imagine @rho21 you see them as well and have a plan for them. I’m talking about the time-dependent things, e.g getting something in before the Senate adjourns, or timing an assassination, etc.

I’m down.

So I am grokking we are all in agreement on the rules then? This is the understanding I’ve vibed from what everyone has thrown in:

2.01 PONTIFEX MAXIMUS
Yes.

2.02 PROVINCIAL WARS
2.03 REBEL GOVERNORS
No.

Yes.

2.05 ADVOCATES
Yes.

2.06 PASSING LAWS
Yes.

Am I correct? Yes/No to this package, Gents?

I vote Yes.

Ok by me.

Uh sorry to be the odd man out, but I wouldn’t mind a couple of days to read the rules.