Republic of Rome forum game

He does.

Macedonius has 23 influence, he gets 5INF for Field consul, and 6INF for defeating the 1st Macedonian. He just needs to contribute 10 talents at the start of the next turn (which he has) and gets to 35 influence. Automatic victory.

Unless he dies on the mortality phase, he wins.

1.09.823 CONSUL FOR LIFE (END GAME): If a Senator has “won” by being elected or appointed Consul for Life, he takes over all Factions (except for the Faction belonging to the player who currently controls the Primary Rebel) and during the Senate Phase plays them as if they were his own and makes all decisions on their behalf. He is not the HRAO or the Presiding Magistrate. He may look at a non- rebel player’s hand at any time, but may not play any of the other player’s cards. He may not force other Factions to make Assassination attempts, to make any Public Agreements or to vote against a Land
Bill. Only the Faction with the Primary Rebel may vote normally and conduct Assassination attempts. Note that players will regain control of their Factions if the Consul for Life dies, but not if he is Captured. If a Civil War is already ongoing, the Rebel can still win by defeating the Senate’s Army (1.11.373) during the turn in which the Consular for Life is elected – otherwise the Consul for Life will win the Game at the end of the turn regardless of the Civil War status [unless faced with 4 or more Active Wars

As well, he doesn’t have to be sent. Scipio should go, with him as MoH as originally stated. The Senate will not give him a crown. In any case, he is not getting a nomination for Consul this turn.

That’s a pretty convoluted string of rules there. I’m not entirely sure I can parse it. He automatically becomes Consul for life and “wins” (why air quotes?) unless…what? He gets killed before the end of the turn?

Unless Rome is defeated (by 4 active wars) at the end of the combat phase, or by defeat in a civil war.

Ah, ok. Though that’s hardly a good defensive strategy for the rest of us. 😜

Any single field consul will automatically win with no loses the Macedonian war, baring Disaster/Standoff. Our legions guarantee that even a 0 MIL leader is viable. Only D/S can impede that, and D/S is only negated by Macedonius being the Field consul (MoH doesn’t help, needs to be the lead general) and if he becomes field consul he wins per the above.

There’s no need for a dictator. There’s no need for a 5 MIL leader.

No influence should be given to Senators that already have too many, or we will face new problems like Macedonius. Plus, why risk Scipio in a battle when we will need him against Carthage?

Let’s choose Senators with low influence for this.

I believe I already said “Good Day!’

You can’t name a dictator either. It’s this year’s consuls that will.

Edit: This was a response to something you edited away.

Scipio will spend 5T and roll to attract a knight.

Sure, why not.

5 talents is enough to ensure success; Scipio gets his knight.

The weather has been scorching these last few weeks, just when the crops needed some rain to grow as normal. Many fields look brown when they should be green. But thank Ceres for the gift of Roman irrigation, which spares most of our grain. Clothing may hang loose this winter, but none will starve in our great city.

Drought

An event die roll of 9 gives us drought conditions, which will raise unrest by 1 next turn.

@scottagibson: yours is the last initiative of the turn.

@rho21 5 talents to persuade a Knight before Rome burns

OK, Calpurnicus has a knight.

Hannibal’s army pillages its way through Italia, destroying taxable properties belonging to the Claudius and Scipio families. (@Panzeh @Kolbex) State aid is enough to repair one of them immediately, the concession becomes available in the forum for assignment in the forthcoming senate phase.

The family of Plautius has also finally regained its influence in the senate after the untimely death of its former leader. Which faction will be first to bring the new Plautius to its ranks?

Population

There are two unprosecuted wars and one level of drought. They combine to take unrest up to 3.

State of the Republic

The Dictator of Rome, Titus Quinctius Flamininus, addresses the crowd himself in these trying times. His recent victory has made him popular, but the people are fearful of the news of an army moving through Italia.

His speech is good, but the people will only really be appeased by action.

Popularity - Unrest + 3d6 = 3 - 3 + 12 => No change.

Senate

And so the senate is convened with Titus Quinctius Flamininus opening the session. Who will be elected as consuls this year?

@Navaronegun

Have we got to the part where we hail Hannibal Imperator yet?

We nominate Flaminius and Acilius for Consul.

Votes:

@Panzeh, @scottagibson, @CraigM, @Kolbex, @Juan_Raigada

As I said, this makes little sense.

We vote no

Flaminius has a 4 Military rating and is well suited to be Field Consul. A victory will improve his influence as well.

@Navaronegun, I thought you were going to nominate Calpurnicus? Military rating is irrelevant if we’re going to overwhelm the Macedonians with numbers, right?

I thought the concensus was that no Dictatorship was needed this year. Hence, I want to get you the Consulship, for fairness, but also have the Leader be most capable in handling the war.