Republic of Rome forum game

Certainly we must make all available efforts to prosecute the war. The nominations of Aemilius and Aelius would be acceptable to the Kolbexarii, should they be set before the senate.

Oh yes, I should have provided a summary of current vote tallies. (These are the sum of oratory and knights.)

Panzeh: 8
CraigM: 8
Kolbex: 9
scottagibson: 8
Navaronegun: 5
Juan_Raigada: 9

We hail the patriotism of our friends the Kolbexarii! They do possess Virtus Romana.

First, a point of order: doesn’t the tribune veto have to come when that faction is called upon to vote? Not that it matters big picture, but I want to understand the order of things.

Second, I’m dismayed that with the Helvetii threatening Transalpine Gaul, some Senators would rather squabble then unite behind two reasonable choices for Consul. Rejecting a qualified military commander because another seems just as good smacks of ambition, ambition that threatens Rome herself.

I had to look it up myself prior to doing it. Rusty. Any time up to and including that faction’s turn to vote:

1.09.152 VETO USING A TRIBUNE: A Tribune may be used prior
to or during the owning Faction’s turn to vote to stop any vote from
being taken, whether it is an election, Prosecution, or other proposal

I’m not necessarily opposed to the original proposal, either, but if it’s going to be vetoed then whether or not the Kolbexarii approve is moot.

@Navaronegun thanks for the rule info!

Yes, the nomination has been vetoed. I’m sure friend Junius will nominate another suitable pair, one that meets with the approval of the Senate.

It is in keeping with Virtus Romana that the Senate be consulted before voting begins. We held no ill will towards the Homines Novi in the use of our veto.

As to the future, we hope that Junius puts forward the best men:

Aemelius, who holds amongst the highest military value, but when proconsuled, would have a five, the highest, when joined by the scion of that family, L Aemilius Paullus Macedonicus, at the Revolution Phase.

Aelius, the best Orator in Rome, who may keep us from unrest in these troubled times.

In the interest of not rewarding those who have chosen selfish intrigue over action and glory for Rome, I choose Fabius and Calpurnicus.

Votes again begin with Eastern Grain Company.

We see now the truth. Junius is in the pocket of those two factions. Why else reward them, again? With no debate. The same two factions. Not the best men. Fabius in particular. Pushed by the Eastern Grain Company. This was arranged in a Villa before the first nominations.

Rome is in two wars. We need the best men. Not your back room deal.

Rome is only in one war, and Fabius is as good a commander as we have in the Senate. I think thou dost protest too much. I like this nomination.

The tribune of the Rex Antiquis will stand before the council to bring an end to such treacherous words.

Only one war sir? Martial spirit demands it be treated with the fullest of sincerity!

To be clear, this is using a tribune to veto.

Vale, only one. And Fabius is the most martial spirit we have.

If they don’t want Fabius, we will simply not propose his consulship- in any case he will be needed for next year’s campaign when the recruiting is more promising.

My next proposal will be Aelius and Furius. I remind everyone that further vetoes may result in inquiries into the treachery of those who seek to disrupt the normal functioning of Rome.

Play Tribune. Veto. No to your deal with the Homines Novi. Your obvious pay-off. If you nominate a New Men faction candidate next, then we will all know that this election was rigged by the two of you.

Edit: your language above was:

Were you proposing, or were you hypothesizing? (Use of future tense has me asking).

What’s going on here??

I go to the opera and when I come back everything’s a mess…

This is the Opera.

It’s not over until the fat Quaestor sings

The Hong Kong blood opera.