Republican Candidate in 2012?

Trick question, Obama will have united us as a nation by then and will run unopposed.

I think Jindal all the way, still socially conservative enough and has a history of turning around state government.

PLEEEEEEEEASE let it be Palin.

I agree. Palin would give us another 4 years of Obama so I’m all for it! Prop her up, she’s perfect!

Bobby Jindal would be the smart move but can he get nominated by the GOP? Only possible if they have another nominating process that splits the Christian Right’s vote again and they’re so hot for teacher, I mean Palin, that Jindal’s not going to get enough traction.

Yes. That means the Republicans will go down in flames in 2012 unless events really jumble things up. But they need to do a Palin move before the leveller heads can prevail once more. As long as they think they weren’t crazy enough they need to take the crazy one more step beyond.

Jindal has modest appeal to social conservatives but he’s wonky enough to pitch himself to libertarians and moderates. Not sure about the whole charisma thing. I don’t really see that. But he does seem competant. A Romney/Jindal ticket would have some appeal to the political middle and folks who want sober and intelligent folks running the country.

Not getting that’s what gets The Base excited.

Maybe that’ll be the Republican Party’s new give? Amending the constitution so Schwarzenegger can be president?

Schwarzenegger/Palin 2012 – Towards another American Century!

In that case they should totally have Palin wear a Red Sonja outfit.

It really won’t. The GOP is not going to try to put another Bush in the White House. There’s just way too much baggage there at this point, and I think it’s unlikely that he will even run for the nomination.

What makes you think that? They nominated W after daddy’s one crappy term. In four years, they’ll have deluded themselves into thinking W wasn’t all THAT bad.

I think the country has a much stronger opinion on W than it ever had on his father. People were dissatisfied with Bush Sr. by the end of his term, but he had enjoyed rather high popularity prior to that. His popularity never dipped as low as his son’s (W holds the record for lowest approval rating of any president, ever), and when he left office his job approval rating was 56%. I think that in retrospect a lot of people feel like Bush Sr. was screwed mainly by the lingering effects of Reagan’s fiscal policies rather than by his own mistakes. I doubt that hindsight is going to be as kind to Bush Jr., and I think that this election was a referendum on his presidency so clear that even the most delusional will get the message. I don’t think they are going to nominate another Bush.

After looking at the sea of white people in the crowd for McCain’s concession speech last night, I conclude the party wouldn’t get riled up enough for Jindal.

Well, they should do that anyway.

Respectfully

krise madsen

PS: As much as the mere thought scares me, there’s a little devil whispering in my ear that Palin should be elected president. Because then we Europeans get to make fun of the stupid Yanks. Forever.

A Palin presidency would be hilarious – if I didn’t have to live here, on this planet. Kooks with nukes makes me nervous.

If we elect Palin we would literally be stupid and deserve any scorn heaped upon us (as I am all too willing to do about Europe and two world wars), but us Dodgers fans would bitterly resent being called “Yanks”.

;-)

Ben, from what I can tell, the base thinks they lost the election because McCain wasn’t “conservative” (by their definition - I know more than a few conservatives that think the GOP’s lost all touch with reality) enough. If only Palin had been their candidate and been free to really be herself!

You’ll find tunnel vision is a powerful thing and even the wiser, leveller, Republican heads have no real choice but to bow down before the base. They grabbed a tiger by the tail with Reagan and his extremist coalition and now that tail’s wagging them to death.

Well, we’ll see. I think the Republican party is probably headed for a pretty big internal split. I suspect that the oldschool conservatives in the party are realizing that this powerful, election-delivering base of hardcore neocon evangelicals is more myth than reality. Regardless, I’ll grant you that they may still nominate a wingnut–but I’ll bet cash money that it won’t be a Bush.

It’ll be a Palin.

The Republicans will have a good chance to come back in 2016. Palin will blow it in 2012. The “movement” GOP will be in total disarray. Obama likely won’t have a clear successor. The Democrats may well have overreached. The fiscal, moderate and libertarian conservatives will have a real chance to take their party back.

I’m thinking Palin will be like Dan Quayle; she’ll run and lose right away in the primaries, supported by only her personal true believers, who are the only ones not embarrassed by the memory of her prior political incarnation.

What John said. I suspect that Palin’s chances of winning the primaries are only slightly better than Jeb Bush’s.

I know, but you all look the same to us Europeans ;-)

Respectfully

krise madsen

A dangerous thing to do to people armed with Louisville Sluggers. Do I gotta get Joaquin on yo ass?
;-)