Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D - one play is all you get!

I looked for a thread on this but didn’t see it.

Seems like Capcom’s new game, Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D for the 3DS is breaking new ground. Capcom is storing save game data on the cartridge, and this data cannot be deleted. What that means is that as you play through the game and your progress is saved (I believe automatically), you can’t go back, can’t replay it, can’t delete your game and start over. When you finish the game, the cartridge is essentially a brick.

This is not a joke.

This story popped up earlier this week but it’s just surfaced again on Ars Technica so I thought I’d bring it up here.

Now of course they deny it, but it seems like this “feature” is pretty much aimed at killing resale of the game. So it’s not pirates who are evil but you dirty I’m-through-with-this-game-I-will-sell-it-to-Gamestop crowd.

Does anyone really think this will work? I mean… (technically ignorant theorizing ahead!) if it’s saving the game state in the cart, there’s got to be an EEPROM or something similar inside… wouldn’t you just have to crack open the cart and remove/reinsert a battery or the like to wipe it clean? To me this just drives used sales of the game down and/or to the grey market rather than to places like Gamestop.

So can we cay “F*** Capcom” now?

It’s not a brick, I’d imagine. The game is set up for replay, probably saves your user data

From what I’ve read it seems as if it’s essentially a game where the progression consists of unlocking arenas and various stuff to put on your character. You can replay the game “naked” if you want to.

You lose out on the fun of getting new gear etc if this is true