Resistance continues to be futile

Microsoft is entering the antivirus arena. Do you think they will sell this separately or bundle it with the OS, or perhaps MSN?

Microsoft is re-entering the market. I seem to recall that Win 3.1 had a bundled AV program to which you could purchase a subscription to updates or something like that.

Actually, I’ve always thought that Windows should have integrated anti-virus capabilities. It’s one of the few things that makes sense to have integrated into your OS, and it’s silly that I have to pay extra for third party software to perform such a basic function.

Does this mean it will be twice as big as necessary, but damn purty to look at?

Maybe they can make it a game. Y’know, equip Clippy with a rocket launcher to take on those pesky virii.

:D

As far as I’m concerned, Clippy is a virus.

I think it was DOS 6.22 that had AV built-in.

If MS adds anti-virus, then it becomes the challenge target for virus writers.

Which means you’ll end up buying Norton since the virus writers will be targeting weaknesses in Microsoft’s AV. Just like smart users avoid Outlook and use Eudora or other email apps to avoid all the viruses and hacks targeted at Outlook and Outlook Express.

Yep. It will be like Microsoft’s ICS (Internet connection sharing). It will have an okay base level for neophytes, but more robust capability will require 3rd party apps.

i used to use ICS until the day i got my linksys router (befsr41) (now $50 or less). once you have automatic DHCP and firewalling with an http admin interface, there’s no going back.

I didn’t realize I was dumb for using Outlook.

The really smart users just take a moment to lock down Outlook or ask one of their super smart friends to do it for them. Not sure I can speak to what the sub-smarty pants people do.

I didn’t realize I was dumb for using Outlook.[/quote]

Yeah, better get a license for Eudora if you wanna be like Mike!

Make that two of us.

:wink:

I like the integrated mailing list/calendar/notes/task list, plus the
Office integration. Guess I’ve been assimilated.

I need anti-anti-virus software. Welcome to massive performance degradation country.

Make that two of us.

:wink:

I like the integrated mailing list/calendar/notes/task list, plus the
Office integration. Guess I’ve been assimilated.[/quote]

I like OE for the speed and ease of use. To be safe with Outlook or OE you just need to turn off the preview pane and run a decent AV program that will scan mails.

– Xaroc

I like Pine, myself. No worries.

I submit that anyone who likes that bloated, inefficient, poorly designed monstrosity that is Outlook has been brainwashed. NOBODY who’s tried, oh, anything else could possibly like that program.

Puppets! You’re all puppets!

The Magic 8-Ball warned us about this years before the program was even released… “Outlook not so good.”

Shit, and here I thought I was all trendy by programming Linux, and now you tell me that because I do my company email on my Windows PC using Outlook that in fact, I’m a puppet.

Well, I guess you learn something new about yourself everyday.

Geeze, when you “subtly troll” around here people get really pissed off. I guess I’ll have to be more obnoxious next time.

Geez, when I respond to a subtle troll with a an eye-rolling non-serious statement, Denny gets really pissed off. I suppose I’ll have to add more :lol: :lol: :lol: and :roll: :roll: :roll: and :wink: :wink: :wink: next time.