Retirement dreams?

Sea-change :) A nautical term.

I’ve slept way too much the first month, but I still have a lingering cough from a respiratory infection, so that is my excuse. And we are moving soon, so I’ve been working with a contractor to upgrade the new kitchen first.

A most excellent nautical term from Mark to describe retirement (sea change) : )

6 months in I find -

• Not missing the day job, nary a thought

• Much less stress (some of that was self imposed due to my wiring)

• Back to meditating which also helps me feel more in tune with the world

• Much bike riding & gardening is taking place though I am now humane trapping rabbits which have eaten enough of my dahlias, sun flowers and fencing. Wascully wabbits!

• I’m currently dressed in purple jeans, a purple shirt my daughter got me emblazoned with The Man The Myth The Moustache and rocking QT3’s Purple Rain theme. How could life be any better I ask you ? I am here for your amusement …

You’re living the life!

I am also trying to chase away wabbits, as well as an armadillo and a particularly destructive turtle.

So I’m starting on one of my pre-retirement goals: learn Japanese. We’re still 5-10 years out from retirement, but one of the things we plan to do is spend significant blocks of time in Japan (e.g., 90-180 days at a time, depending on the visa situation). I figured it will take me several years, at least, to get conversational in Japanese, so I wanted to start now.

Assuming I stick to it, this is going to put my gaming even further on the backburner. My backlog is going to get insane. It’s also possible I’ll tap out. We shall see.

I’m also learning a language now before retirement. My wife’s family owns a house in Bosnia that they had to flee during the war in the early 90’s. It’s still theirs and paid off but there are squatters in the thing and it’s in bad shape. We “might” live there for a year or two after I retire to fix it up to sell or rent out so I’m trying to learn Serbian which is not easy.

Also, need to learn some Spanish as my mother and father have been living in Mexico for 10 years and they are getting closer to not being around so I need to make sure I can speak a decent amount for when I have to go deal with their house and stuff.

Darn, wish I had taken Serbian or Spanish in high school…French is helping me not one bit!

I wonder how many high schools in America have Serbian as a course offering . . . .

I highly recommend Spanish immersion courses. Two weeks of that was worth two semesters of college-level Spanish as far as being able to actually speak and hear it.

Learning Spanish was one of the reasons we moved to Ecuador, and one of the ways we spent our time there. In that respect it was pretty great. We can both read and write Spanish fairly well, including getting the grammar right, and we can speak it well enough to make ourselves understood. Vocabulary is often the challenge there. I can’t hear Spanish as well as I would like, and often I know I’m translating it on the fly rather than thinking in it, so I wouldn’t say I’m fluent, but I can get by. And C is better at it than I am.

Angry Episode 1 GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

lol, I hate that!

Nixxter, you are definitely doing it right and look like you are enjoying every minute of it! That is an epic stach and t-shirt btw.

The shirt is very fitting.

How do you learn it there? Just trying to live?

We’re seriously considering it as a runaway spot. Worried about birth certificates for getting residency, as our names can’t match the birth certificate. I have the funds to deposit in their bank if needed.

All you new retiree’s better be playing video games from your backlogs!

One of my favorite quotes from Shakespeare, from The Tempest.

Full fathom five thy father lies;
Of his bones are coral made;
Those are pearls that were his eyes;
Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Me too. My commute was long and stressful. I was driving it in full alert mode due to all the idiots on the road post-pandemic. Hey idiots, we’re not filming Fast and Furious!

I did French in high school and college. I was pretty good at speaking in present tense, even thinking in it mostly, but the many other tenses broke me in two. Jesus. So 40 years later in France I’m stumbling through it again when we were there. I found it was coming back to me, and I could sort of read it, but hearing it was hopeless. They speak too fast. I doubt I will ever be conversational in it even if I study it. My hearing is not optimal.

I often wish I could go back in time and kick my younger self in the ass and tell him what he should do, rather than what he was going to do. But I already had a dad telling me stuff like that for all the good it did me.

Can’t you get papers to show the legal name change. In my job I had to tell women all the time who had married and wanted to board a cruise ship without a passport that birth certificate, state issued picture ID, and documentation showing the legal name change would work. For American citizens I’ll add.

Been doing more reading but the gaming is still on slacker mode. We’ve just been on the road too much. Twenty-four days out of my now first 40 days of retirement.

Living in the culture is a bit like immersion, though not quite because there are always people who speak a bit of English. Maybe not if you live out in the campo, but in any decent sized town or city. Young people there get English instruction in grade school.

We took classes the whole time we were there, usually at least twice a week. At first we took a small group class that met twice a week, 2 hours per session. That was pretty good to get us started but ultimately not enough to get a real grasp for grammar. We stuck with that and added two sessions of private lessons. We changed tutors a couple of times over the years.

Beyond that, all of our neighbors were Spanish speakers with no English, so we made a point of conversing with them. We tried to stick to it everywhere, spoke it at home together, studied it and did homework. I read books in Spanish. We watched Spanish-language shows on Netflix. We watched the local news, especially during major news events like elections.

I love the shirt, and the Purple Rain tie-in.

But it absolutely took my mind back to a bit of poetry. Well its from the point of view of a woman, but I say embrace it and maybe modify it to make it yours

Warning

by Jenny Joseph

When I am an old woman I shall wear purple
With a red hat which doesn’t go, and doesn’t suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we’ve no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I’m tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick flowers in other people’s gardens
And learn to spit.

You can wear terrible shirts and grow more fat
And eat three pounds of sausages at a go
Or only bread and pickle for a week
And hoard pens and pencils and beermats and things in boxes.

But now we must have clothes that keep us dry
And pay our rent and not swear in the street
And set a good example for the children.
We must have friends to dinner and read the papers.

But maybe I ought to practise a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear purple.

Jenny’s poem is wonderful, thank you for sharing it eliandi …. I’ve always enjoyed dressing (and acting) eccentrically and will keep on “practicing”. Though I’m a trifle more sensitive than in my misspent youth about offending others : ).

I’m three months and change into retirement, and enjoying it well enough. Love having extra time to do, well, everything, including video/computer gaming (of course!). Since I still have to take care of my mom I have a routine of sorts. By the same token I don’t have the freedom to travel or venture forth that I would have otherwise, but since I’m kind of a homebody I don’t mind it too much for now.
Not missing the day job at all, apart from some of the people.

I feel the same way about my old job. I don’t miss it, but I do miss chatting with some of the colleagues.

Now the paychecks I miss, though we are doing well enough financially that it’s not a burden.