Retrogaming Quake: crazy level

I was going to necro an old thread but the search function on this forum is broken. Please fix!

Anyway, nothing is as charming as a newly designed crazy level in the classic Quake software render. So here’s one just released if you want to try (great gameplay, great level design, and you can pick your path between “puzzles” and “traps”).

Configuring everything shouldn’t be too hard.

And enjoy one of the best Quake levels I’ve seen :)

Long life to the pixels!

This one is insane too.

It seems there’s a Quake Expo and lots of stuff is being posted.

those pics bring back memories

I am playing Quake I right now, with glQRack, i am in the beginning the third episode of four. When i finish the game, i will check out these links. :)

This one is an hardcore level (because of difficulty) with very good design and converted Doom 3 textures.

I’ll stop for now, but these things are cool.

I’m not a fan of GL ports, I simply LOVE that classic, gritty look that Quake render has. Look at those pixels!

Slide Threadjack here but,
Anyone tried Co-Op Or Die? [Via: http://playthisthing.com/coop-or-die]

Apparently it’s a Q2 Mod that forces co-op gameplay by forcing a restart to the beginning of a level (in easy mode) or entire game (in hardmode) whenever one player on a team dies.

It also has a central server for tracking group inventories, progress, etc.

I simply LOVE that classic, gritty look that Quake render has. Look at those pixels!

I know what you mean. :)

What’s most interesting is that all those levels have a vertical, high-ceiling look, which kind of reminds me of the original Quake. I think back then they were so excited to break out of 2.5D that they went a little overboard with that stuff. Nowadays 3D shooters usually keep things on a “flat” path.

And the need to port shooters to consoles limits that kind of vertical design even more because it’s a challenge to tune an analog stick to balance a need to quickly look up and down with the finer movement needed for aiming. A mouse makes this easy.

You are men of taste and discernment. I’ve often had the same thoughts about the verticality of Quake. I think another thing it has working for it is a refusal to worry about realism or (overmuch) about confusing the player. :-)

Thanks for the heads-up… I had completely missed this year’s expo. I didn’t have a Quake installation all configured, just QuakeWorld, but I’ve rectified that and I’m off to check these maps out.

I know HRose has already said he prefers this renderer, but I do recommend checking out nQuake if you’ve not kept up with the client development. It’s seriously impressive!

The fondest gaming memories I have are of Quake and QuakeWorld. I almost always have it installed and about every year or so I boot it up and blast through the single player.

I’ll definitely be checking these out. :)

I’d say that first map seems more of a concept/challenge map; I’m not sure I like it that much from a gameplay perspective. Pretty cramped with lots of fiddly bits of architecture, which doesn’t play well with Quake’s movement.

The d3-textured map is cool so far… some nice surprises and its play spaces are more properly Quake-dimensioned. Still a bit tight, but fewer protrusions. And I always like seeing someone take different texture set out for a spin.

For all these maps, the Quoth monsters are new to me. I think I’d played with Quoth 1 before, but not much, and nothing with Quoth 2. When the new Quoth stuff comes charging out at me… it’s an odd feeling seeing it in a Quake map, kinda like stumbling across a stranger in the middle of your living room. :-) I like it though.

Seriously. “Quake brown” indeed.

Dark Forces would be miserable with an analog stick.

But that’s true for all shooters. ;)

Just like I explained on my blog last march, please use the google sitesearch under the main search dropdown, added today. It should return results instantly.

Well sorta… I’m OK with the ones designed for console controllers (Halo et al.), although as mentioned above there are tradeoffs in that design. And I always feel like I’d rather have a mouse. :-)

For a game not designed for it, it could be horrendous. There was a random guy on the Shacknews chatty earlier today saying that he’d like to see Starsiege Tribes on XBLA, and I just couldn’t get my head around the thought of trying to play that.

Tribes Aerial Assault was pretty much a port of Tribes 2 to the PS2 and it played decently, surprisingly.

On the subject of Quake, anyone got any ports they’d recommend for Quake 2 (I am using QRack for original Quake and it does the job nicely for that game)? I tinkered with a few awhile back but heck if I can remember which ones they were.

And to go way off onto a side topic, has anything like the various Q1/Q2 ports been done for the original Unreal?

This worked really well for Quake 2 for me (about a year ago): quake2evolved.com

For Unreal, you can get a patch at this site that will let you run/install it under XP and Vista: http://www.oldunreal.com/