Return of the Jack Bauer Power Hour

Musings on last night’s premiere of 24:

1. Daughter subplot feels too much like Movie Of The Week.
  2. Stupid “I’m marrying a terrorist!” subplot feels like a red herring.

But those stupidities were redeemed by:

“I’n gonna need a hacksaw.”

I get the idea that the daughter subplot is just a plot device to keep her in LA. She hops in the car and flees the crazy father, and now thus they are unable to evacuate her because they can’t find her. Whether or not the crazy abusive father continues to be a part of the plot… well, I guess we’ll see.

And I agree that the scene in which Jack shoots the witness was the show stealer. Like, in a huge way. Took me completely by surprise.

Tom Shales nailed it right on the head when he said that while he loved what he’s seen of the new season, he and a bunch of other critics believe the daughter subplot to be utterly and totally contrived.

“I’m gonna need a hacksaw” is gonna be the gold standard for quotes this year.

I can see why he did it. That scumbag was a child kidnapper, molester, and murderer. Jack shoots him in the heart and if he saves the day, he’ll get a presidential pardon. If he doesn’t save the day, well, they can’t throw you in jail if you’ve been caught in a nuclear explosion. It’s a win-win for Jack either way!

The second option is about as Phyrric as wins get, but I also see why he did it. He needs a really strong cover, and fast. Murdering the key witness in the trial of the man that you want to get in good with… that’s pretty damn convincing.

Yeah, I was being ironic with that second “win”.

The only redeeming thing about the daughter subplot is if we get to see WAY-TOO-YOUNG-AND-HOT-TO-BE-AN-ABUSED-WIFE scamper around in her underwear more often. Hubba, hubba.

And what is it with this show and blondes? Not that I’m complaining, but it’s a cornucopia of HOT BLONDES EVERYWHERE! The girl getting married to the MaybeTerrorist is really hot!

I thought it started a little cheesily as well, but I guess we have to get some sort of build up.

Why will she not talk to her Dad? She does not blame him, but he reminds her of her mother so she is not ready to see him? WTF? That is pretty weak, too.

How many bleached blondes were on last night’s episode? I know I counted at least 6:
The daughter (Meeeeowww.)
The woman the daughter works for
The woman marrying the terrorist
Her sister
I forget the others

My wife got confused as to who was who.

The hacksaw line was a goodie.

Yeah, turns out that it wasn’t the Blonde The Daughter Works for running around in her panties, it was actually the Daughter herself. Ouch. Someone please tell me that the actress playing the Daughter is at least 18, or else I’m gonna feel really sleazy.

It’s easy to get the blondes confused, especially if you’re distracted at the moment.

Thankfully, I’ve got the entire episode in one big MPEG2 file! I can break it down frame by frame now.

MaybeTerrorist’s fiancee was in The Faculty.

Also, they may be hot, but they’re too damn alike! Fucking LA blondes everywhere! Is MaybeTerrorist’s wife related to Wifebeater?

What the hell was Darlene Connor’s deal?

And SoulPatch is now Soulless Patch!

Damn you guys are fast. You already stated all of my points and posted them before I had the time to type mine in. :P

Anyone notice that the father of MaybeTerrorist’s fiance and her sister looks remarkably like John Walker Lindh’s father? Coincidence? Think not.

Yeah, I totally figured out late last night the fiance. Laura Harris. She was in the Faculty. Her character’s name is Marie Warner.

Where has she been? Every female in that office is straight off a magazine cover and then we have the newbie, meek, homely computer programmer.

Darlene: “I am no ready for this. Maybe you should get someone else.”

Me on my couch: “There is no one else.”

What’s his name from last year: “There is no one else.”

Blech.

What’s his name from last year: “There is no one else.”[/quote]

Soulless Patch.

What’s his name from last year: “There is no one else.”[/quote]

Soulless Patch.[/quote]

Hehe, I did not know what the hell you were talking about when you first used that term. I had completely forgotten those 8 hairs which are now, thankfully, absent.

Update, Tom Price just pointed out that there is a connection between MaybeTerrorist fiancee and Wifebeater. Wifebeater is the fiancee’s ex-boyfriend, who himself has a blonde fetish. I mistakenly thought he was a lost brother or something stupid like that.

It’s like the Jack Bauer Power Hour never ended here over at CGW!

I agree–too many lookalike blondes last nite. I miss the short-haired brunette babes, dammit! But, yeah, the daughter is HAWT.

I’d give last nite’s episode a B-, at best. Some super cheesy writing, and I really really did not like the daughter subplot, despite getting to see her in her underwear. Must she be in physical danger, already, in the first freakin’ hour? I already felt tedium setting in with that.

How many times did she get kidnapped within a 24 hour period last year? PLease do not tell me she is going to be running this entire season.

Another underwear vote. After my BMX XXX thread and Girl’s Club thread I did not want to mention the undwear, too. My fixation on young women has to cease before my daughter gets old enough to know daddy is a pervert. Is there a 12-step program for guys who simply like to gawk at women on TV and at the mall?

The Sopranos seemed to start out fairly slowly this season, as well. This last week i thought it really started picking up.

The Sopranos seemed to start out fairly slowly this season, as well. This last week i thought it really started picking up.

This should probably be another thread entirely, but based on what I keep reading everywhere, I seem to be in a minority about this season: I think the show’s just as strong as it’s ever been. I love the slow burn going on with all the various plots, I love the way the tension is building–and I really like the way they keep throwing you for a loop by taking some of the more “comic” characters–Johnny Sack, Bobby Bacala–and giving them real, almost heartbreaking moments. I don’t get the current backlash. I still think it’s the best-written show on TV.

okay, back to the Jack Bauer Power Hour.

I don’t disagree. I guess I feel cheated about the 16 month hiatus and realize we only get, what, 16 episodes in an HBO season. I want as much bang for my buck as I can get.

Best shot in any series this year was Tony standing in the rainy doorway when he was checking on his race horse.

Oh and, uh, 24 kicks ass and has anyone said how smokin’ hot the daughter is yet?

Ty you did see Tony horse whipping a grown man last night because he was stupping Tony’s Ex? Thats the sort of scene that differentiates HBO and the Sopranos from the crap on most TV. I also loved Tony telling his son how Italians made this neighborhood and the church with such pride while he was in the middle of a scam to tear it down even more.

And yeah the chick who plays Bauer’s daughter is wicked hot and I did not even see the underwear scene.

It was her first scene I believe with the little girl and the Dad walks in the room. I had to do a doublt take. Long T-shirt, but you could see her unmentionables peeking out.