Return of the Jack Bauer Power Hour

Until morals improve, you mean.

So tonight was the finale of this thing, and as I was a fan of the old series I watched most of it. What make me laugh are silly things like the studied avoidance of the correct pronunciation of the word “nuclear” by every single character. It’s as though it was part of every actor’s contract or something. “This is a Fox show, dammit! We don’t cotton to hoity-toity elitist pronunciations here!”

EDIT: OK, after I wrote that there was one bit-part actor who said “nuclear” as it’s spelled.

Anyway, I don’t think they’ll be reviving the series again, although they left it open–

Spoiler

Jack’s not dead after all, just in the hands of the Russian government. But he’ll escape somehow!

uh, you should probably put that in spoilers for people who wait for box sets or netflix, etc.

I enjoyed this season far more than I expected – having additional time to work on the script helped a lot, although the writing returned to the goofy norm in the final couple of episodes. The resolution of the drone plot was an all-time great TV moment.

I watched all of it. Great season, missed this show.

My favorite part was the defenestration scene. “They’re shooting at us!” is a close second.

I’m not placing “They’re shooting at us!” I did miss the “hospital gets blow’d up” episode, I think.

I have to assume 24 takes place in the IT Crowd universe based on the inability of any London residents to remember the phone number for emergency services and report the gunfights happening outside their windows.

It’s 911 in England as well…but they use the metric system.

Agree with most of the sentiments. One of my favorite seasons of the show. Having longer to work on the script and half as much time to fill really had an impact. Much less bloated, fewer villains, not as many dumb choices by supposedly smart people. Lean and mean.

I actually hope they do another mini-series.

If one ignores the usual ridiculous over-the-top moments, the mandatory firefights that break out twice an episode that means there were 24 gun battles in a 12 hour period, the continuous porous nature of every government security agency, etc, the 12 hour version of 24 was vastly superior in telling its story to the 24 hour version.

0118 999 881 999 119 725… 3

I love how the authorities never seem to have a problem with Jack being judge, jury and executioner.

He saved the world from a nuclear exchange between the US and China, and as a reward, the authorities let the Russians kidnap him - I think the authorities are quite happy to see Jack quietly disappear.

Apparently Kiefer is open to the idea of return again?

I hope they make it happen now that designated survivor is dead. Bauer deserves better ending than nondescript rotting in russian prison. Just write a good script (hard, true) and off you go.

Season 5 of 24 is still one of the best action things ever done.