Return to Monkey Island - Gilbert + Devolver

Announcing Return to Monkey Island, the long-awaited follow-up to the legendary Secret of Monkey Island and Monkey Island 2: LeChuck’s Revenge by Ron Gilbert’s Terrible Toybox in collaboration with Devolver Digital and Lucasfilm Games, coming 2022.

Dave Grossman also being involved.

https://twitter.com/phrenopolis/status/1510995934762602499

I thought it was an April Fool’s joke. Cool!

Squee!

Great.

Incidentally, what’s the best way to play MI3 these days? I’ve been meaning to replay it for a while now as it’s the only one other than Escape I haven’t played since release.

If you still own the original, SCUMM VM seems to be the way. Otherwise, GOG perhaps.

Oh fuck! Amazing. I always wanted to know what Ron Gilbert had in mind for the story/series.

This is finally the good timeline again

THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN

I own it, but Christ knows where it is.

That’s awesome. Playing the long game there.

Can confirm the GOG version works. I played MI3 four years ago, according to GOG Galaxy.

MI3 is one of my all-time favorite adventure titles, right up there with Grim Fandango.

He actually said he would announce a sequel on April Fools like 10 years ago. I am so excited for this. Really put a smile on my face when I saw this was announced.

Oh boy.

Nine years ago I wrote a blog post titled “If I made another Monkey Island” and it feels like there are some things I need to say.

I can’t remember the exact incident, but the day I wrote that I was feeling down about never being able to make another Monkey Island. I wrote it in a single afternoon, and it was not much more than a stream of thoughts. In the movie version, tears would have been pouring down my cheeks, but it wasn’t the movie version so I was probably sipping coffee and eating a chocolate chip cookie.

My point is these were not commandments handed down and etched in stone on a giant tablet. They were just random thoughts about a (then very unlikely) new Monkey Island game.

None of these are promises or anything I owe anybody.

Sounds ok to me. A guy like Ron Gilbert has certainly earned my trust to make a great game on his own terms.

Yeah same.

I have made one pixel art game in my entire career and that was Thimbleweed Park. Monkey Island 1 and 2 weren’t pixel art games. They were games using state-of-the-art tech and art. Monkey Island 1 was 16 color EGA and we jumped at the chance to upgrade it to 256 colors. Monkey Island 2 featured the magical wizardry of scanned art by Peter Chan and Steve Purcell and we lusted to keep pushing everything forward.

I love this. And who wouldn’t lust after pushing Chan and Purcell’s art forward?

As much as I love pixel art, I also love expressive, unique, illustrative visuals (like Curse of) so I’m glad they’re continuing that with Return to Monkey Island.

All I have to say about this is:
DAY ONE PURCHASE!!!11111111111

Also, here’s a cool Monkey Island retrospective :)

Thimbleweed Park was a day one purchase for me, and it was a major disappointment. So I’m not trusting Ron with anything anymore.

Fresh trailer.

Yeah, some folks will absolutely hate the art direction, but I’m down for it.