Returnal PS5 (and now PC!) story-driven third-person bullethell rogue-lite

It’s interesting because this was a PS5 title right? So far, all the Sony PC versions have been from last gen. It would be great if PS5 titles were coming to PC with a one year lag or whatever.

Yup this is one of the few PS5 only games.

I wonder how it will play with mouse and keyboard. That’s probably the only way I’d bother.

This would be an awesome 2022 gift from the gaming gods.

ANyone have any tips on this? I still haven’t completed the first biome. I’m at that point where I’m going to quit soon. I don’t know If it’s worth it or not. Thoughts?

Have you gotten the melee slash attack yet? I remember that being a big turning point for me, both in terms of giving a useful combat option and for opening rooms for extra goodies and health. If you haven’t, it should be showing up pretty soon, I’d think.

Oh, and just avoid spawning the monsters from dead scouts or taking on other optional extra stuff. Just focus on exploring rooms.

I did get the melee sword. I just keep wiping on the first boss.

I posted my starting tips above:

Well, I beat Phrike, and made it almost totally through the desert in the first try. Think I’ve broken the ice, and may start progresssing now.

There are people who beat the whole game in a few hours if they get lucky pickups. Your weapon ability levels persist through deaths however and that makes all the difference.

Guess what I did today!

I’ve been idly plinking away at Returnal from time to time, just going through the same rooms over and over until I die. Well, today I finally didn’t die, which meant the inevitable happened: I found the sword. So after only a few years of playing, I might actually get out of the first biome! w00t!

By the way, I have about 25 ether and don’t really know what to do with it. I started skimming the thread for gameplay discussions, but there are a bunch of spoilers I’d rather avoid. So, I have a quick – and likely redundant – question: Should I be doing something with this ether?

The oubliettes I understand as currency, but not the ether. If I’ve missed something, let me know. For instance, I’ve been ignore the vending machines where the ship crashes, because I know I’m just going to die soon and lose whatever I buy, which is how I’ve accumulated 25 ether. I guess I’m supposed to invest in a run by spending ether to “gear up” at that starting vending machine? Or should I be saving it for some use that will become clear later?

Remember, I’ve only just picked up the sword and I haven’t puzzled out what this business is about getting a crimson key yet.

You should be spending that ether at the shop vending machine almost exclusively. This machine not only gives you a new item it unlocks that item for discovery in chests in future runs. By not using that vending machine you are really limiting the artifacts and items you will see on your runs. You can also use the ether to cleanse malignant chests (not worth it IMO), unlock a certain machine that may make runs easier, and exchange it for money.

So yeah use that vending machine!

Doh! I wonder if I ever knew this. Perils of playing a game over the course of multiple years, I suppose. But that makes perfect sense and I probably could have inferred it if I’d been paying closer attention.

Thanks, @agapepilot!

“Coming Soon”

This was mostly lost in all the other big news at the game awards, but I’m really looking forward to this game on PC. I enjoyed their older games but never manage to “finish” them. I usually make it four or five levels in before dying and being unable to get any further. But that’s ok. That’s the pleasure of playing these old school style arcade games these guys make. I had my old Amstrad cpc128 for years and I don’t think I ever “finished” any games on it.

I wasn’t convinced but I watched a DF review of the PS5 version and I’m kind of sold now. At least to check it out within a refund period :)

I’m just amazed that it can run on PC at all without Sony’s magic stardust hard drive, how is it even possible??