Returnal PS5 (and now PC!) story-driven third-person bullethell rogue-lite

I’ve been craving a PS5 action game, and if reviews for this are stellar I may end up getting it. It does look good. For now I’m leaning more towards Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart. It’s a couple of months later but I can probably wait. Still have to get back into Control…

Get both!

Most of the recent comments about Returnal compare it to a souls game with arcade pacing and PT-esque interstitials, which is a reasonable response to the gloomy trailer visuals and marketing of its roguelike structure. What I see in the fusion of bullet hell and third-person shooting shown in the trailers looks like it could be Housemarque’s roguelike take on Vanquish. Add to that that they’re the developer of modern arcade classic, Resogun, and it’s easily one of my most anticipated 2021 release.

The thread title is like a word salad lol.

One thing’s for sure, this game will be pretty. Housemarque never disappoints graphically.

Press previews going up now, and impressions seem very positive so far from what I’m seeing. I’ve seen a few mentions of Metroid Prime and importantly that it feels good to play.

Fingers in ears

I can’t hear you!

Not gonna spoil it!

Well my copy is pre-loaded. Now I get to stare at a 6 day countdown timer…

I’m too old and sloooow for this kind of game…sucks.

Couple of early reviews leaked then got pulled, both were 9+ so things are looking good for it. I think tomorrow is the review embargo so we should get a bunch then.

What time does this go live?

Thursday night at midnight Eastern, looks like.

This game is going to be too hard for me, isn’t it?

I was relatively excited about this when it was first revealed, and I really like a few of Housemarque’s previous games, but the more I learn about this the less interested I become, even if it’s “objectively great”. It’s hitting a lot of my gaming turn-offs. Reminds me a lot of Hades in that respect.

Yup. My worry as well. I was never good at shmups, even when I was younger and had reflexes. Returnal looks like the modern version of those Strikers 1945 style games I used to die quickly at in the arcade. I’ve been craving a title created with the PS5’s advantages in mind, but I don’t think I have the skills to play this. With that said, I did eventually get pretty good at Hades so I have some small hope that this could be similar.

Reviews are hitting, lots of 9s so far. Metacritic at 87 with 63 reviews as I type this.

Rated as a Buy.

“I’d pay 70 (dollars) to play the game, because it’s that good.”

“What it does hit, it hits really well. Super enjoyable. There’s a lot of gameplay here.”

Rates all aspects of the design as “AAA level.”

Everything in Eurogamer’s review made me want to play it except that it might be a bad fit personally with a schedule that only gives me two to four hours of gaming time a week, and almost always spread out in small chunks.

Heh. Just read that myself, and almost everything in it made me not want to play it.

That’s a hard nope.

Pretty much everything described in the second half of the review sounds awful to me. This is clearly not for me.