Rev specs according to IGN

I find the idea of standard USB ports interesting, as that means Nintendo is basically sacficing the memory card market. There’s no way they will be able to compete with all the companies already selling inexpensive USB storage.

And they are using a non-proprietary memory card format. Interesting.

Edit: Dammit, Nick, you beat me to it.

The downside is while that’s probably plenty of space for classic games, I can’t see how anyone could download stuff from the last generation or two without buying a USB hard drive.

I’m not sure they ever committed to downloadable Gamecube games - just that it would be able to play them.

I seem to remember Nintendo 64 games were about 30-50 mb total so several should easily fit on 512 mb flash. SNES and NES games are obviously going to take up much less space.

I think some of the later N64 games like Majora’s Mask was above 128MB or even 256MB I don’t remember.

If this hits the stores in November for less than $150 with a Link game, a Mario game, a Cart game and a Metroid game on the shelves next to it, they’ll sell 3 million by christmas day.

This thing better be at most $150. $100 would be great. I just don’t see the appeal of spending $200 on an upgraded gamecube.

Screwing up the memory card size was one of Nintendo’s biggest mistakes in the Gamecube launch. The mem-card revenue couldn’t have offset the loss in 3rd party support.

How did they screw it up? I don’t remember the specifics of the Gamecube launch.

The original Cube memory cards were stupidly small.

1 Memory card = Animal Crossing save!

Those figures were given in megabits. I’m guessing that showing ROM sizes in bits used to be an acknowledgement that not every CPU had the same number of bits in a byte.

The largest N64 game I ever heard of was Resident Evil, which used most of its 64 megabytes to store poor quality FMV. The typical N64 game was closer to 16 megabytes.

I thought the Japanese are the lemmingish morons for buying so many DS to train their brains instead of playing games. “ZedoOMG I’ll get smarter! buys”. Maybe afterwards they won’t be so moronic. (Did I just predict a declining future for those brain training games?)

Also, US people love realism in stuff, so it’s not surprising that there is so much emphasis on graphics, to produce all the photorealism they think they want in their games.

So, are you going to be a jackass or actually come up with a good counter argument? Oh wait, you just answered my question.

He had a good counter argument.

Comparing the Rev to the DS isn’t exactly the same thing. Also, aren’t the PSP and the DS neck and neck in North America?

It seems a pretty apt comparison to me considering that Nintendo is doing the same thing in the home gaming console market that they are doing with great success in the handheld market. Coming in with lower specs and a vastly more affordable price.

I don’t recall seeing any numbers in terms of units sold, but I do believe DS titles are spanking PSP titles in sales.

All that I am saying is that if the Rev, PS3 and 360 are on the same shelf people are going to compare. So, Nintendo needs to really market itself differently. I posted this hypothetical conversation in another forum -

Customer - Hey, can you tell me why this Nintendo machine is $100 cheaper than these other 2?
BB - Well, it’s not quite as powerful as the others, but it’s got cool games and this whacky controller.
Customer - That looks like a remote control. So, if it’s not as powerful will I be able to hook it up to my HDTV?
BB - Well, yes, but it doesn’t output at the higher resolutions like the other 2.
Customer - Hmmmm…

So, as I see it Nintendo will have no problem marketing to the converted (N-fans, hardcore and retro gamers), but they really need to break into the casual market and just having a lower price tag isn’t enough when they A/B in a store.

As for the sales figures I think it’s just hardware, but the PSP isn’t being spanked worldwide like it is in Japan.

Not to mention unique/unorthodox control schemes (DS stylus, Revolution controller.)

If the customer has the opportunity to try the wacky controller, this conversation does not need to happen.

In theory. I mean I want them to succeed, because it would mean a shift in focus from tech bullet points to gameplay. However, I am quite skeptical. We’ll have to see how smart they are in marketing and how well the controller actually works day to day.