Revised indulgence: New HDTV

For what it’s worth, I can tell you from experience that burn-in is not worthy of much fear. I’ve had mine about 2 1/2 years and it’s still great - I played GTA on the thing, and you can see ‘ghosts’ for a few minutes where the health and money sat for a couple of hours, but after ten minutes or so they had faded. I’ll not exaggerate and say I put it through a stress test, but I really think that for normal use burn-in is a nonissue for plasmas.

Love my 2-year-old Samsung HL-P 56" DLP.

Viewing angle isn’t an issue if you’re the recommended distance from the set. In a reasonable-size family room, our DLP looks fine even from the seats near the side wall.

I have a Sharp Aquos LCD in the bedroom, and love that too. But for a main set, the “big” of the DLP trumps the slightly better picture of the LCD.

After doing lots of looking and comparing prices and looking at components, we are going to go ahead with the Mitsubishi 57" DLP. I prefer the viewing angle of the LCD, and plasma is not an option because we have windows directly behind our couch, but for the dollar amount, this seemed like the best of the bunch. It has two HDMI, two component, two S-video, one pc slot, and some number of composite connections.

Since all of the big box stores match price, I will buy from whichever one can angle a guaranteed Wii for me tomorrow morning.