RGB: Why and Why Not?

My case, keyboard, and mouse all came with RGB lights. I wouldn’t have paid extra for them, but don’t mind them either, and the keyboard is actually useful for seeing the keys in the dark.

My new build is going to have a subtle black & grey color scheme. But none of it will be visible anyway. As @lordkosc said, I opted for solid case sides, so I don’t have to stress about making a build look perfect in a 16 liter case

Yes, same.

I laughed out loud!

I read the title of the thread and thought “not another thread about the Supreme court?“ Funny.

But considering lighting… I don’t see a need for it in my case since my PC sits on the floor below my desk. So I almost never see it. And hey, I just noticed it has red lighting!

I do have a RGB keyboard that I don’t use a whole lot other than setting to one color and leaving it be. I have a mouse with two RGB lighting zones and I tie the color of the mouse to the macro loaded for a each game (So for instance, the Path of Exile macro sets it to green, Grimm Dawn sets it to red, and the default profile turns off the RGB) so I can see at a glance if my mouse profile is correct for what I’m playing.

I voted for a little. I love My RGB Keyboard and don’t mind a little from the PC to lighten up my man cave. I don’t like paying extra for it but wouldn’t go out of the way to avoid it anymore. I have seen amazingly stylish setups as much as I have seen some horrifying ones.

I didn’t seek out any RGB, but I seem to have accumulated the following in my kit:

• Steelseries Rival 500 mouse - RGB on colourshift.
  • DeepCool Matrexx case - RGB strip on case-front, tempered glass on the side.
  • AMD Ryzen 7 - stock cooler is RGB. Which I didn’t know, and I installed it upside down, and now every time I look at the upside-down AMD logo, I get twitchy.

Does single-LED count?

• Steelseries Apex M500 keyboard - blue lighting only.
  • DeepCool case fan - blue lighting only.
  • Radeon 5700X - red effect lighting only.

I dunno, that’s 4 points of light in the PC and 2 out. Leaning towards garish. ;)

Be loud and be proud!

I’m kind of just ending up with RGB by default as part of the continual upgrade process. Also: availability and lack of choice.

Wraith cooler - RGB.
Power supply. Liked the specs and the price. Oh, it came with RGB. OK.
Needed a new mid-size case. Hmm. I can grab this one at Best Buy. Oh. It has a glass side. OK.
Needed a new but not ridiculous wired gaming mouse. Yeah, it’s RGB too.
Needed a mechanical keyboard. Whew. It only lights up in white. I think.

RGB is kinda like that stray cat that hangs around the place and eventually just kinda moves in.

Yup. I didn’t seek out RGB. It just happened over time.

RGB is… inevitable. Embrace the Light! Let the warm (insert your color choice(s) here)glow envelop you in it’s hypnotic trance.

I’m in this boat and also have gone all, “HERE’S JOHNNY,” kind of crazy with tape on the lights I wasn’t able to manually disable. I have a few exceptions to that rule though.

• blinking lights on the router to tell me things are moving
  • a very soft backlit keyboard because I game in the dark sometimes. No, not rainbow led, soft, single color.
  • a charge light on the things that are charging or fully charged

Case LEDs, fan LEDs, memory LEDs, anything not really needed has to go, I hate it. Blue is the absolute worst, it’s piercing and annoying.

I have a coworker who is in a lot of videoconferencing meetings we have. His gaming rig is about 5 feet behind him when he’s talking to us through his work laptop. it has the constant and very bright RGB going on and it’s like a damned Christmas tree.

Yep, this is pretty much me too! :-)

I have a USB hub near my gaming laptop right now. every port has an on/off, which is nice. When on though, piercing blue LED. From every port I have in use. It sucks.

Maybe a little.

I got an Alienware Aurora R5 several years ago that came with some relatively tasteful RGB on the outside of the case. like so:

That’s about as much as I can handle, and I set it to all blue.
However I got tired of even that much pretty quickly, and disabled it in the software so that now it just lights up during boot-up of the computer, and then shuts itself off.

I also have a Corsair RGB mouse, which I also set to all blue.
And an old Corsair K70 keyboard which only offers all blue, which I can turn off or dim easily.

So basically, when I’m gaming, I keep the room dark, the computer dark, and the only things lit up are my mouse and keyboard. Just enough light that I can see my controls in the dark, basically.

I thought to myself, what would Australians call duct tape and myself answered, “duh, croc tape.”

I hear ya, man. My receiver in the living room has a blue light and it has tape on it for the same reason. You can read the input setting when it’s on so it baffles me which engineer thought, “well, in addition to it being on and having a display, we should have a really bright and piercing blue light come one too!”

I’m 57 with a Liam Li case with 9 fans that glow a nice green (my colour choice) and I am not ashamed :)

I would do it again in a second. Embrace colour in your life.

No judge here. Long time fan of Liam Li cases and I have two in the house right now. Mine are mostly light free though unless you got LED fans? (Like was that extra on the order or are they shipping that way now?)

I don’t know, some of you make it sound like someone shot a clown and smeared their neon blood all over these cases.

This just doesn’t seem so bad to me. I should probably wipe that glass though.

That’s kind of tasteful. I dunno, dark room gaming, how bright is that blue fan light?