Richard Jewell - Clint Eastwood and the 1996 Atlanta bombing

Say what you will about The Mule. I haven’t seen it yet. But it did give us this delightful review of The Mule.

As I understand it several modern legal concepts were first codified in Icelandic or at least Norse blood feuds.

Ha, thanks. I have met some of the other “bastard children” and we’ve talked about making a compilation of our stories. Of course, outside of 1st-hand experience that we have, the veracity of anything he says is in a great deal of question.

I have been writing on it IRT cognitive behavioral therapy. Some of my decision making has been flawed in the realm of forming relationships, for a variety of reasons. I finally decided that, as my dad is the common denominator in all the failed relationships he has had, I am the common denominator in mine.

So from what we know, other than being a terrorist, the guy was actually pretty helpful and would split your wood or kill a snake for ya. If only he could have laid off the bombing.

@Rock8man it’s a dang small world, huh?

The world is a very strange, terrible, wonderful place.

Re: Rudolph, without any attempt to forgive or rationalize his beliefs and behavior, I think, looking back and combining that with what I know now, that he was just lonely and isolated. An outsider. They were from Florida and his father had died when he was a teen and he, his mother and his brother moved to remote Appalachia. Boom - instant alienation, loss and no feeling of belonging anywhere. Its like a cautionary character from central casting made to be vulnerable to a cult, a recruiting extremist ideology or a con man.

My brother was in the crowd at the concert at the Atlanta bombing when it happened. He was not hurt. I thought I saw a picture with him in it on a magazine cover a couple days later, but it wasn’t him, and he got mad when I mentioned it.

So this is hardly surprising

Apparently Eastwood portrays a female reporter, now deceased, as having traded sex for scoops with no evidence.

And Warner Bros. has responded. Without addressing the actual point of the complaint though.

Didn’t we already go through this with Gamergate? Gosh darned women and their sleeping around! (Hint: nobody was sleeping around.)

The depiction of Kathy Scruggs in this movie is really terrible. It’s like an incel fantasy of how all women are evil and use sex to get ahead.

Anyone who expected anything else from Eastwood at this point hasn’t seen his Republican Convention performance.

Yep this.

Welp, can’t wait to see both sides introduce evidence to support their claims in court.

Guess what else bombed? (Hiiiiyoooooo.)

He should have put a Marvel superhero in the movie. That shit sells tickets.

We watched this on Friday with nothing really better or more interesting in the theaters to watch. It’s just… yikes.

Was Jewell getting railroaded and hounded by the media? Sure. Did the events play out pretty much how the movie unfolded? Yes. But the film has a fairly unsettling tone and you can’t just ignore the politics at play this year and this movie in a vacuum. You get the impression–but even the film doesn’t actually go that far–that the FBI and the media were out to get Jewell and were plainly evil in doing so. And in bed with each other. Literally!

Digging into the facts as the film portrays them though you get pretty much what happened. Jewell naturally fell into suspicion (not just from the FBI, but other local and state agencies), he was surveiled, the media got a hold of this and broke the story, and eventually he was exonerated because the evidence wasn’t there. The FBI would have naturally gotten to this point interally, but the secret was out and the spotlight made it difficult. So eventually Jewell would have been exonerated either way. The film implies that with Jewell’s lawyer and the press conference with his mom and all this other stuff, Jewell manages to convince the FBI and the world he’s innocent.

That being said, it’s clear the underlying message. The FBI was more than willing to leak info to the evil media and generate evidence to “get their guy”, a poor ordinary southern white dude. The whole thing feeds into some funky narrative that a certain person’s voting base would gobble up in spades. Sound like current events to you? Hell, the lawyer even asks Jewell at the beginning of the film if he knew what “quid pro quo” meant. Seriously???

And of course there’s the portrayal of the journalist, which really doesn’t need to be expounded on more than what’s already been said.

That being said, the performances are aces. Everyone turned in some absolutely great performances. So there’s that.

— Alan