Rick and Morty

Agreed. If this is what we get in lieu of more Futurama, I’m pretty happy. Of course, knowing my luck (and Harmon’s) it’ll get canned.

It had a very, very dark undertone throughout. Personally, I dig a dark sense of humor, but I know a few folks that were turned off by how bleak it could be at times.

Definitely a must buy for me when (if?) it comes to blu ray.

I often like the writing show, but I’m really not a fan of the aggressively ugly / unpleasant aesthetic. There’s an extent to which I think the aesthetic is part of the joke, which is ok, but then there’s an extent to which it just feels gross for the sake of gross (like Rick’s burp-interjections).

I agree with you, but I’ve gotten used to them and sometimes they are put in at the perfect moments and it’s actually funnier with them.

Since it’s apparently one of the strongest performing first seasons ever on Adult Swim, I don’t see this getting canned anytime soon. Unless one or more of the principals drop, this should hang around awhile longer at least.

Since it’s apparently one of the strongest performing first seasons ever on Adult Swim, I don’t see this getting canned anytime soon.

Glad to hear that. Now if only Adult Swim would get their act together and distribute their stuff properly in the UK.

I’m a huge fan, and was disappointed to see that there was no new episode this week. Can’t wait for more of this series.

Season one is over, Papageno. Who knows how long it will be until season two? And like everyone in this thread, I’m a fan, although the criticism of the “ugly aesthetic” is a valid one and it’s something that bugs me as well.

I presume it’s along the same lines as Ren & Stimpy’s: a stylistic choice of the creators. It’s not a “beautiful show” at heart, even if it can be touching or moving. If anything, I’d call Harmon’s stamp more than Roilland’s: Harmon’s work always seems to be about the beauty and emotion that arise from life’s darker moments.

I’m not sure it is a valid one, unless it applies to the entire tone of the show. Because the aesthetic matches the tone perfectly. Rick’s a complete arsehole and sociopath. Morty is a desperate loser, as is his dad. Christ, there was an epsiode about a theme park inside a dead tramp. What sort of aesthetic do you want with that?

I think the ending of Rick Potion No . 9 is what makes or breaks the show for you. Personally I was going “this is so awesome, are they really going there?”, but if you hated that ending the tone of the show is not for you. The song they played as Morty is looking around in shell shocked bewilderment set the tone perfectly.

It’s definitely dark humor. But I think it’s clever in that realm whereas some others aren’t. Venture Bros is similar in tone and that’s one of my top 5 comedies of all time.

You really haven’t been paying attention. Morty stands up for himself, doesn’t hesitate to leap into action when necessary, and Jesus, just try recounting all the female/fembot action he’s gotten up to so far.

Mazzy Star! I have put some serious hours into her music and I was still struck dumb by the scene.

When he came down stairs to grab some OJ after an extended session with the fembot? So perfect.

I loved how they played Belly’s Seal My Fate for the parents. Bittersweet, hopeful, unironic.

I was uncertain after the first episode but by the season finale I was all in.

So I finally got around to watching the last two episodes of this season and I have to say I’m eagerly waiting for more! What a great season… I think they really nailed the characters down now and we can start seeing some even funnier things.

I think they should have switched the order of the last two episodes. I think going out on the note about Morty being the Mortiest Morty to the Rickiest Rick would have been a particularly feel-good note to end on, where the episode they went with (albeit with bird man’s bit at the end bringing up the tone) was quite a downer in my mind. Still a hilarious episode, but not finale stuff in my opinion.

Disagree. Close Rick-Counters was the climax of the season, while Ricksy Business was clearly set up as the denouement. “Hey we had all those adventures now let’s just throw a party and relax.”

I cannot comprehend how you think Rick being happy and bonding with his grandkids was a downer ending.

(and it’s “Bird Person”)

lol “Bird Person does not appreciate you assigning a gender to Bird Person’s name.” How’d I forget!?

OK, I like the denouement idea. That works well. As for it being a downer, he sent Morty out to die for what amounted to cocaine. I’m probably latching on to that bit a little too much. On second thought the majority of the rest of the episode wasn’t too bad.

Errr… more likely the joke was that a cartoon character named “Bird Man” already exists.

That would make sense. I never saw Harvey Birdman. I heard it’s funny though, still worth watching?

It holds up better than the majority of Adult Swim’s schlocky 4-20blazeitpineappleslol humor does, certainly. As will R&M, interestingly enough.