Riders Republic - Steep + bikes and terrain other than snow

Seems more like SSX for the X Games, though clearly they’re using a lot fof the Steep tech. I’m down for it, as long as they don’t Ubi it up too much.

If Steep is their template, looks good to me.

But snow and dirt traversal are such different things that I don’t see how they’re going to integrate them into the same worlds. I guess there will be real-time switching like Steep and The Crew 2, where you can swap freely among bikes and skis/snowboards?

-Tom

Tom, I know you love The Crew 2, but not every game in the world needs to be exactly like it!

[ed]

Never mind. I watched the trailer, and it does seem likely.

I just watched the trailer (with the sound off). Wow. That looks really ambitious. Like at least 4 games in one.

First of all, big props for being set in so many of our gorgeous national parks in the United States. Yosemite, Bryce, Zion, Grand Teton. The cycling track at the 2 minute mark kind of reminds me of a mix of the easy levels in a Trials game combined with SSX. The “going down the mountain” game looks very much like Steep, with snow boarders being on the same course as bikes. The snow boarding and bikes in half-pipes and tunnels game reminds me again of SSX’s trick levels. And the massive race at the end with so many bikes going down the mountain just looks crazy, I’d don’t think I’ve seen any race with that many racers in any game. That will no doubt be super chaotic and yet maybe fun too.

I wouldn’t bet on there being that many in the actual game.

Open Beta is live:

Beware of terrible acoustic covers of songs lurking in the game.

https://youtu.be/9Wj2L4xvx34

Extreme “Nina Gordon - Straight Outta Compton” energy there. Apparently the artist is “Zita & Les Ukulélé Girls,” who appear to have existed for this single song which appeared on what may have been an Audi promotional CD in 2007.

Anyway: :-/

This has a free trial week on right now.

The actual racing seemed like it might be fun but I stepped in an awful lot of dudebro on the way.

Hey everyone, @Alistair has dudebro all over his shoes! I wonder what he’s been doing?

-Tom

That thing was funny on how own, but with all the drug addicts jumping around telling “woohoo” every where, it’s priceless.
Really distressing game.

Sounds like Steep, but much larger in every way. More sports, a mishmash of 7 US National Parks.

The dudebroness was too much for me in the beta, not to mention that it was less than the sum of its parts. If I want a mountain biking game, I’ll play Lonely Mountains: Downhill, and if I want a skiing or snowboarding game, I’ll play, well, Steep. I don’t particularly want to play a wingsuit game, but if I did there’s Just Cause. It all seems to rely on the multiplayer/social/customisation elements to overcome the mediocrity of the individual sports, and I couldn’t give a shit about that.

Steep has wingsuiting, too, I think?

Heck, Steep even has jetpacks.

-Tom

So this is multiplayer only? Booooo, I really liked Steep.

Steep was online only too, wasn’t it? At least, I remember it that way.

Since I’m usually always connected to the internet, it’s hard to actually test that nowadays, unless you suffer an internet outage or something. I can’t remember the last time I pulled an ethernet cord out to test offline functionality.