Rift Wizard, a combat puzzle / build optimization roguelike

Have I told you guys lately that you’re great? Well, you are.

-Tom

The sequel is out in early access (Sorry Tom) today

Welcome to Tuesday Afternoon Masterpiece Theater. Today, we present a tragedy in two acts. Enjoy.

What? There’s a sequel? And it’s out now! How flippin’ awesome is that???

Nooooooo!

Oh so this is why the first game stopped getting updates. I wished that one had made it out of Early Access!

I’d forgotten this game existed. It reminds me quite a bit of Path of Achra, especially with the addition of equipment in this new sequel. Hard to imagine this ever working on steam deck, unfortunately…apparently it does run in windowed mode, but there’s so much text…

Alright I picked this up on a whim and having alot of fun. It takes time to get a sense of what works well and what might be coming, but once you get some institutional knowledge the decisions become really interesting.

I don’t often play this kind of game, beyond enjoying ToME, and the pixel graphics really turned me off on the store page. But the game isn’t really about visual engagement. It strips away some of the trappings of more typical games so that your brain can 100% focus on build design and tactics. Now that I have spent time with it, I really appreciate the visual design. The interface looks archaic but is easy to interact with (I just wish there was tooltips: e.g. what is SH? What do metallic bears do that large bears dont? Ok metallic bears are metallic, but what does metallic do? Questions like this happen throughout a run and often I will try something just to see what it’s like. Is it intended for things like this to be trial and error?). The pixel enemies are all designed to be easy to identify, which I also appreciate.

Good game so far!

I didn’t play Rift 1 but I picked up Rift 2 last week and I can tell you that SH is “shield” 1 SH will prevent all damage from one attack.