RIM: We have no fucking clue

Android phone with a physical keyboard? Tell me more…

Does such a thing already exist in the world?

Somebody only job was to make a Star Wars joke about this and they droped the ball.

Droid 1-3 (or maybe 4), original G1, one or two of the original Galaxy Ses (I think the Sprint one?), and a handful of others. I remember the HTC Dream/Nexus One being one of the first flagships to [I]lack[/I] a keyboard, and the trend grew from there until they were all but unheard of by ~2013 or so. It’s been a keyboard drought every since.

Sorry for letting you guys down. I’ll try to make up for it with more hateful posts.

I’m conflicted - I kinda like the cut of that phone’s jib.

Yeah it does look like a Wookie. Can’t believe we all missed that.

It looks too tall.

Yes, for sure, but I sort of assume some of that might be the forced perspective of the photo?

no, it’ll look even taller when they don’t force the perspective like that.

That looks fucking stupid.

Geez. Next thing you know they will add three inches to the thickness so that their newest mobile phone will resemble the oldest mobile phone.

So these guys didn’t realize that an android phone with a slide-out keyboard already existed? And basically doesn’t any more, because after folks started using modern smartphones they realized the keyboard was pointless?

Who is in charge of their product design?

I kinda like/prefer the hw keyboard, and would also not mind anything that makes the phone thicker, so as to encourage them to not put in one of these tiny, chickenshit batteries phone companies are so in love with right now.

Does the LCD part of the phone slide up or am I seeing that wrong? It seems like it slides up to reveal the keypad - if that’s the case maybe it won’t seem too tall when you are using it for touch/phone related stuff, and can pull the keyboard down when you want to text or something? I dunno, I’m pretty happy with my iPhone, so it’s not like I’m going to actually ever want one of these…

It’s definitely a slider. It will be regular smartphone size when the keyboard isn’t out. I hope it does amazingly well. I think a lot of people would love a physical keyboard as well as a full screen smartphone as long as it’s done right and they don’t need to give up their preferred OS.
I think one problem with the original BB slider (other than the fact that it was underpowered and it was BB OS rather than Android) is that it ended up being really top heavy when the keyboard was slid out. Hopefully they’ve rectified that.

Maybe some of you guys want a hardware keyboard, but I’m pretty sure you are in such a small minority as to not really be enough to support the product. Because there were Android phones with hardware keyboards, and they kind of went away.

Ultimately, at this point, i can use gesture typing to type way faster on a software keyboard than would ever be possible with a hardware one.

I’ve no doubt that that group is a minority. Whether not it’s too small for a phone to be successful is something we’ll have to see. My guess is that a minority of Android users could represent a bigger slice of the sales pie than the remaining users who are sticking with the BB OS.
My guess is that the phone will live or die based on the quality and price of the phone rather than its having a physical keyboard.
As for typing, I’m a big fan of SwiftKey myself but I can see the advantages of having the physical keyboard from time to time. The ability to type out a short message without having to look at the phone for one thing. Plus having a full screen AND having a keyboard, rather than the keyboard taking up half the screen. That would be pretty cool too. I wouldn’t have to scroll up to see what I’ve written on long messages like these or when composing emails. It all comes down to whether RIM can get it right. A great phone with a keyboard is going to be a great phone. A shitty phone with a keyboard is going to be a shitty phone.

I wish it was vertical instead of horizontal.

At this point RIM is like the high school football captain who keeps showing up to reunions with his ever-tighter letterman jacket. The rest of the world has moved on, but he can’t let go of his glory days.

Vertical meaning running parallel to the screen? I’ve never liked those style of keyboards (truth be told, I’ve never actually owned a phone with a physical keyboard). The other problem I see with a horizontal slider is that most apps are designed to run vertically. They usually auto rotate but then you end up with much less useful screen real estate. A physical keyboard mitigates this somewhat but I’m still of the opinion that other than watching movies or playing games, vertical is better.

I can certainly see that but it’s one of the few advantages that they have. Their strengths were the keyboard hardware and the security that they provide. If they come out with an android version then I don’t see how they’re any more secure than any other phone and if they ditch the keyboard then why would anyone look to their hardware when they could get a much superior Samsung or Sony or Nexus phone? The truth is that if this phone does become reality then it will be specifically for the subset who want an Android smartphone and who also want to be able to use a physical keyboard. That may not be a large group but I’m guessing that it would be more successful than a regular Blackberry release. They may even bring some new stuff to the table (assuming it’s possible with Android). I always thought that the BB all in one notification service was pretty darned awesome. I would love to have that on my phone. If they can work all that stuff into a “Blackberry Sense” for their phone then it could be a big hit.