RIM: We have no fucking clue

Neither does Apple or Samsung I guess.

Give a little credit to the discussion that’s gone on the last couple of pages.

The Priv has no business being priced comparably to a Note 5 or 6S Plus because it doesn’t really compete with those devices in terms of specs. It’s got a slower processor, less RAM, less storage (at identical pricing), worse camera, smaller screen, and no fingerprint reader.

Instead, it can be favorably compared against devices that cost [I]half[/I] of what it does. Excepting the rare person who will obtain $300+ of value from the use of the physical keyboard over the lifespan of the device, it’s going to appear mis-costed compared to its competition.

Galaxy S6 edge ( both have rounded screens) costs about the same at ATT and have comparable features. Notable exceptions are that the priv has a larger screen, micro sd card and keyboard, while smasung has the better camera. Samsung has a different chipset but whether it is noticable different remains to be seen.

So, I think that over priced is fair complaint (I feel the same way about apple ans samsung products) but to say one is value for money and the other isnt is incorrect. Same they have feature parity, either they all are over priced or none of them are.

While the priv has rounded edges, it’s not like the Samsung devices where the display is actually curved as well. It’s just a flat display with rounded glass.

I have missed your posts rei :)

I have a question. Why doesn’t the keyboard slide out the side? Going out the bottom seems like it would make the keyboard a lot make cramped vs. the other orientation.

Well I for one would rather have a portrait screen with a narrower keyboard. Most apps are made to work in portrait mode rather than landscape. It may be awkward at first but I’m sure you get used to it. I mean, Blackberry practically invented the smartphone keyboard. If they thought a horizontal keyboard was better I’m sure they would have used that.

I still use a BB Q10. The narrowness of the keyboard isn’t an issue for me. But I’ve used Blackberry devices since their early days so I’m quite used to the keyboard sizing.

I must be a bit different than most people? I use my tablet and phones in landscape mode all the time.

All I’m hearing are arguments for why soft keyboards took over in the first place.

Considering a software keyboard takes up half of your usable screen, I’m not sure what arguments you’re hearing. Are you saying that software keyboards did not also take getting used to?

No, of course software keyboards took getting used to, and yes the loss of screen space is a tradeoff (although you could also argue that you’re sacrificing device size with a physical keyboard). But with a soft keyboard, you don’t have to lock everyone into a specific screen orientation, forcing people who prefer the other orientation to get used to it.

That was a weird one. His comments on build quality were laughable. It’s like bend gate all over again. Also, knocking for shipping the latest version on Lollipop seemed disingenuous. Outside of the A9, most phones coming out only have Lollipop, and will be updated soon.

Maybe. But ArsTechnica is usually pretty even-handed. It’s hard to see this as a device that will save BlackBerry.
Diego

But the guy isn’t doing something extreme, like trying to bend the phone with two hands. The “bend gate” thing was stupid, because I would never expect a phone to be so sturdy that you couldn’t bend it if you tried.

But in that review for the Priv, he’s just pushing on it with one finger, and the thing is visibly deforming. That seems like it would definitely result in it feeling cheap.

That looks cheap. My phone doesn’t do that when I push on it.

Looks like he pushes mighty hard. Anyway, that material will probably take a fall better than a samsung and will be easier to gripe.

PC World has a great review and Florence Ion gave it a 4 out of 5 when she was talked about it on All About Android.

I’ve held a Priv in a store last weekend. Yes the whole phone does feel cheap hollow plasticky. The keyboard is pretty solid, however.

The comments on the Ars review are filled with apoplectic new forum accounts from what I must assume to be members of the CrackBerry site, furious with rage.

Yeah. Still, does the Priv have a plastic slider?

Here’s a nice review on PC world by Florence Ion. Very different from Ron’s review and although by no means glowing, it is a bit more ‘balanced’. Your mileage may vary.