Rim World

That is one way to do it. I’ve always built mine. I’ve never gone to find the downed one so I don’t know how complete that ship is.

I believe either are victory conditions, but trekking halfway across the world does seem the more difficult of the two.

I am tempted to pull up my last save before takeoff to try the caravan victory. I did have a few hundred survival meals stockpiled.

During the beta I played a game where I set the colony limit to 2 and started to leapfrog across the map using drop pods to move people and resources from one colony to the next. I didn’t very far before an update tempted me to start over.

Anyone in here who loves rimworld but hasn’t voted on the quarterlies, get over to the thread and vote, darn it! :)

Thanks for the reminder.

Yesssss

We need one more #1 vote! Come on people, we can’t let rimworld down…

Note this won’t make it #1 but it would be a new position for it that would help a lot.

Well I almost never do. Up until last night I was still mixed on the game. But at quarter to three I was still playing and next thing I new it was 8:30 holy crap. I guess I do have a chemical fascination treat as long as it is the right chemical.

For those of use who juggle mods like there is no tomorrow, I mean that cool hair isn’t going to show up by itself, this is actually kind of big.

1.0 technical update brings multi-version mod support

JANUARY 20 - TYNAN

I’ve just released a technical update to version 1.0 of RimWorld. It should be 100% compatible with all existing savegames and mods. The new version is 1.0.2150.

Steam will auto-update. If you’re playing the DRM-free version of the game you can go download it now from your permanent personal download link which was emailed to you.

Aside from updating translations and player content, and fixing a handful critical bugs, the new version’s main purpose is to add support for multi-version mods. Previously one entry in Steam workshop could only work with one version of RimWorld. This causes problems when we release a new version: Players can’t continue on the old version since some mods are updated, but can’t continue on the new version since not all mods are updated.

Now, mods will be able to support multiple versions simply by putting version-specific files in directories named for the target game version. Other files from the mod’s base directory are used in all versions, as before.

For modders, here is how to set your mod up for multi-version support:

In the mod’s About.xml file, don’t use <targetVersion> any more. Instead, write a list of supported versions like this:

<supportedVersions> <li>1.0</li> <li>1.1</li> </supportedVersions>

When you upload to the Steam Workshop, your mod will be properly tagged with all supported versions.

Version-specific content should go in a folder named after the version being targeted. For example, if you make a folder called “1.0/Defs”, version 1.0 of the game will load Defs only from that folder, while other versions of the game will load from “/Defs”. (Note that if you add a version-specific folder like “1.0/Defs”, the default “/Defs” folder will be ignored when playing on 1.0.)

You can do this with the “Defs”, “Assemblies”, and “Patches” folders. Other data types, like textures, are always shared between versions (for now).

If you do not need the multi-version content loading, you place the “Defs”, “Assemblies” and “Patches” folders in the mod’s root folder, just like before.

Steam update news/notes.

A little bit ago I finished my second full playthough (the one in the ice and snow). This time I went for the deactivated spaceship on the other side of the continent. I cooked up 300+ prepared survival meals, purchased a bunch of pack animals, and set out with everything we could carry. Things generally went fine during the trip–stopped off at a variety of places to purchase supplies, etc., and I had so much foraging that generally food wasn’t a problem, and I didn’t really get ambushed either.

The stuff really hit the fan when I settled on the space ship in the jungle. Turns out that jungle is a royal pain to build in. My plan was to set up a barracks and some walls and then wait out the 15 days with a couple mortars and a bunch of charge rifles, slaughtering the pack animals as needed. I had a heck of a time setting up walls in the soft soil, but the problem wasn’t the raids and sieges–it was constant tantrums the entire time I was there. My people had become soft, living in their luxurious holes in the frozen north, and were mentally unprepared for the realities of a camp in the jungle. I ended up savescumming a bit, but eventually everyone made it onto the ship, even if some had to be dragged by force–a third of my people went native, berserk, or just quit, so I arrested them, and when they became incapacitated (somehow…) I just shoved them in the sleep caskets. All in all, it was really not that much fun. (And I should have sold off the dogs along the way–they just ate all the food once we got there, and I ended up slaughtering them anyway.)

So I don’t necessarily recommend pursuing that ending unless you’re ready for more of a second act than a climactic conclusion (though I guess it was that, too).

I love this game so much.

It’s for that reason when I was trying the drop pod hopscotch method of traversing the continent among the initial building supplies I’d always include some of my best art. Large sculptures are only 10kg.

After many restarts I’m finally in an end game. I think I’ll build the spaceship rather than risk travelling across the world.

Out of curiosity, what settings/biome? I’ve never gotten past 2-3 years in, and not all the way through the tech tree - not sure if I’m bad at the game or just get distracted by other objectives (or, restart-itis).

It’s Cassandra, Medium, temperate forest with 40/60 days of growing. I’m still a long away from winning, and have an urge to try a tribal start.

I’ve got 14 pawns, researched and built ground penetrating radar and deep drills, and fabrication bench. But I haven’t finished all the stuff in industrial age much less started on space research.

Every time anyone posts in this thread I’m reminded how much I love this game and it tempts me to stop whatever I’m playing and start another colony.

I must resist, or the friend who I’m playing a co-op AOW3 campaign with right now will lose his mind. haha

But when we’re done with that, I’m definitely running a new colony, and heck at 300 hours I’ve yet to play this win any mods

I feel ya brother.

I’m playing Sunless Skies right now an am determined to finish since I know if I start playing Rimworld again I will never get back to it.

I almost never get that close to the ending because I love to start new colonies so much.

There is an immense amount of fun in the set up phase of a colony. I’ll admit I’ve started bunches myself and then just started up another one, haha.

What usually keeps me going on a particular colony is the tug of developing some higher level stuff to play with and incorporate or I’m amused by whatever interplay is going on w/ this particular set of colonists.

Just as an aside, it’s the small random elements where the magic is for me in this game, say the fact he programmed in that even a year later a colonist that knew one that died would circle back and visit their grave, that’s just level of detail I only see in indie games. It shows an affection for your work that comes out in my enjoyment of playing it.

Well it’s an attention to detail combined with accessibility AND giving the tools available to allow others to add to the work with whatever ideas and passion they come up with it. Like all that in one basket is not easy to fine. I have plenty I still don’t like, but a lot of it is tempered by a gazillion options and mods. The game can almost be anything someone wants it to be, a builder, a struggle fro day one, a fantasy land filled with elves… it’s remarkable.

Damn you all! stop talking about mods… I’m addicted badly enough to this game. I’m no longer even bothered by how awful the graphics, even though they are bad for my old eyes.

I’m curious about a couple of things.

I’ve seen some design where people try to minimized the number of doors. That seems like overly min-maxing to me. I just draw rectangle and put door or two in the room for bedrooms and generally 4 doors for common rooms. Anybody use the creative rooms?

Second question. How do people deal with sending off caravans? Unless it is rescue or take a bandit camp question. I send two people out on trade caravan. Generally my best social guy, and then a guy who is a decent shot as protection. I’m just wondering if you have more guys does that attract a bigger number of ambushers, could I get away with just a single person?

Well I am not sure how creative I am, but due to dirt, even though I have a mod to handle some of it, I purposefully design my hospital and my kitchen not to be like pass through hallways, they’re dead ends. I don’t want my large freezers or refrigerators to have their doors open too often to or they lose temp.

I usually send 3-4 if I have that many to spare, mostly because I usually do more than one mission at a time and the main quest usually has more than a couple of hostiles. I use Giddy-Up though so my peeps tend to ride animals which makes them travel a lot faster.