Rim World

My main doctor got stabbed in the heart today and his fiance had to perform the emergency surgery. No pressure… nope, none.

stabbed in heart

that will teach him to move at 112% with scissors

Sculpture placed in a prison cell. Artist: Tristana. Prisoner: Satsuki (prisoner for a couple of weeks now).

The lyrebird is an obvious embellishment; haven’t seen a single lyrebird so far.

Most recent Triss creation:

The first one looks kinky.

Life wasn’t easy at Gunsmith Mountain. Maybe it was the alpaca blood covering the floors that did it. Maybe it was cowering in fear after being viciously rebuffed when trying to tame a wild emu. Perhaps it was lying awake at night listening to the rain, in pain from the sensory mechanites her and Bowman picked up just after crash landing. For whatever reason, Kit, de facto founder of the community here called Salvation (she had named them after all) found herself sharing cramped quarters with James and a tribesman barely clinging to life. All three were prisoners.

The tribesman had been gunned down, taking half a dozen heavy submachinegun rounds at point blank range. Against all odds the tribesman had lived; Salvation had used the last of their best medicine while he teetered within hours of death. Now he slept, unconscious; the road to recovery from massive blood loss would no doubt be a long one. Herbs would have to suffice along the way.

James was a fragile soul, suffering more than one psychotic break. The first time he had been wandering all afternoon out in the fields under the hot sun armed with a dangerous incendiary launcher. Bowman had gone to arrest him. He hadn’t come quietly. Bowman’s lover, Jogelli, had come within seconds of using his plasteel knife before Bowman put out James’ lights with the butt of her LMG. A few bruised bones were all the damage done that day and James wasn’t allowed near the incendiary launcher after that.

Kit may have been part of the cause this most recent time, but she couldn’t be sure. She should have been the one administering medicine to the tribesman. Instead she was shut away in her room, refusing to eat. James had joined her. Both of them were nearing starvation when the order finally came to arrest them. This time there was no struggle.

Now they were fed, and had no responsibilities other than to watch the sleeping tribesperson who had tried to murder them all cling to life, wondering when they would be allowed to rejoin society.

A few others ITT mentioned the music but I don’t think anyone has linked to it, yet? It’s good. Not just in a ‘I could listen to this while driving’ way but ‘this makes me see visions of a full scale sci-fi western Hollywood movie and I want to learn this on guitar’ kind of way:

“Moving On”

“Rough Trail”

“Ceta”

I kind of noticed with 18 that everyone who is wounded doesn’t seem to get an infection anymore. I think that’s a real risk still but haven’t seen it yet.

My guy got a major head infection from a rat bite. I thought he was a goner but he pulled through with immunity.

I had skipped a few versions, but I noticed know that when you click on a bed marked for medical use, it tells you what the infection chance is for patients treated in that room. It seems to be based on cleanliness and materials used (types of bed, type of floor, etc). Early on, the best I can do is get it down to 50% before research on hospital beds and such kicks in.

Awesome.

To everyone: More of this, please.

There was one early on that I could swear was a semi-rip from the old theme song to Law And Order.

Come to think of it “Moving On” reminds me an awful lot of Chris Isaak’s “Wicked Game”.

There are several songs that are very, very reminiscent of other songs.

You are right, though, I ALWAYS think of that song.

I’m always “IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII DONT WANNNNNNA FALLLLL IN LOOOOOOOOVVVEEEE WITHHHH YOUUUU OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII”

You know.

In other news, Chris Isaak has some pretty good albums. I’m very fond of Forever Blue

I guess this might be a reason to put a floor on my barn. My people are doing better but the injured animals not so well… damn bear.

The Cthulhu pack works well.

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=829619412

I play w the Lovecraft Storyteller AI on Rough difficulty (2 less than max). I use some QOL mods that I will post, nothing changes the difficulty but now pawns will repair, haul on their way back, small stuff.

The first game I didn’t Prepare Carefully, and rolled randomly until I got a reasonable spread of skills in my initial three. I decided to be super Lovecraftian and picked a cool coastal swamp. It was the swamp that killed me - we didn’t last past the Summer.

The biggest issue was skill distribution. I only had one person with good cooking and construction - and they were the same person. All three pawns had food poisoning almost continually, and when the main guy was down he wasn’t cooking. Also, combat skills were poor and they almost always took damage from even melee raiders. That meant more downtime for healing, and when that one pawn was down nothing was getting cooked.

The lowlight was running out of all food, with the cook unconscious in the medical bed. The one pawn with a reasonable shooting skill went into the jail and executed the prisoner. He dragged the body back to the freezer and then played chess. I ordered the other starving pawn to eat the corpse - but they got lucky with a turkey wandering across the compound and ate that.

I managed to rebuild from there for a bit longer. The end finally came when a solo raider with a poor rifle fought the three wounded and food poisoned pawns at the same time as a rabid wolf attack. One pawn was standing by the end - the main cook. He tried to rescue the other two but they both bled out as he slowly dragged them to the medical beds.

After they died he went berserk and attacked the dog. The dog won.

The next game I Prepared Carefully and setup a Call of Cthulhu-ish starting trio of a sherif, an old librarian (“Lore Master”?) and a young chef. They have reasonable skills and I made sure there were backup skills. Instead of swampy cold New England they are starting in the coastal forests of the Pacific Northwest. Let’s see how long they survive!

The second colony in the cool forested “Spooky Oregon” coastline is up and running. They had a suitably Lovecraftian encounter, hidden so not as to spoil anything:

Its their first autumn, the colony still consists of the original 3 + 1: Sheriff, Chef and Librarian plus a tribal that wandered in. One night a dry lighting storm starts. The colony is made from wood and the forest is dense, so I set them out to extinguish the small fires before they spread. As the four are in the dark woods chasing down sparks, a thick and frightening fog rolls in.

Summary

In the fog are shadowy spirits. They moan but do not seem to attack. Before too long each colonist becomes afraid, then paranoid. I decided not to risk the mental health of the whole group, so I cancel the orders and they all run back to bed. The fire spreads through the forest, but is still far off from the colony. They are each “Paranoid” -10, and have a minor sanity issue.

In the dawn a small group of lost WWI solders wander through the mist. They shoot the Chef’s pet terrier. I need to manually assign her to keep her from running too close to the soldiers, she desperately wants to save her dog. The dog dies and she becomes depressed.

The soldiers attack. The deadfall traps injure them and they back off, but they walk along the wooden walls and start a fire. The colonists are forced to rush out and trade gunshots. One colonist, the Librarian, is injured by an antique rifle. One of the lost soldiers falls, bleeding, and that is enough to panic the others who run off. The Librarian is patched up, and a bed is hastily constructed for the injured soldier - who turns out to be a pessimistic young girl, now held prisoner in the woodshed.

A thick snow falls and extinguishes the forest fires, which have left a massive grey scar on the land. At the edge of the burned area is a monstrous shape with tentacles and teeth. It lurks at a distance, but I fear it will not stay away for long. I notice it sleeps at night, so once everyone is healed up then they will attack the beast after midnight.

The Psychology mod has proven a good addition to the Cthulhu pack:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1220823511

I’m quite sure you’re just lucky. One of my hunters, a Glitterworld law enforcement officer, went to put down a pack of alpha beavers (with an LMG no less) and he was horribly mauled left bleeding on the ground before the cavalry arrived with an assault rifle and a charge rifle, and even they only managed to fend off the last few alpha beavers at melee range.

Dragged back to his bed, he developed an infection which gradually got worse until finally he developed an immunity, after going through my last few packs of medicine. Now I preposition a fire team to kill small packs of animals regardless how innocuous (that last time my cook got taken down by maddened terriers was purely an accident, I swear it!).

Yeah if those alpha beavers revenge as a pack it’s pretty tough, even for a whole group.

I haven’t tried the Cthulhu pack. I figure it’s kind of weird vanilla but it really adds something worthwhile?

I’m so on the fence for this game. I’m not sure if I love the stories here, or if I’d love the stories just as much in the game itself!

I personally do not play the game for stories. I like he gameplay and I do get attached to certain names and behaviors though. I am the same way with Crusader Kings. There are people that will craft these elaborate stories for that game too, but that’s not how I view it at all. I enjoy the mechanics, the planning, the oh shit everyone just came down with flu and now there is a raid going on, oh my god is that a tornado in my lentil field?