Rim World

Well my next defensive design will take into account boomrat manhunting packs and a way to just lock the hatches down and wait them out while having a series of doors and choke points in the central keep to fall back through. Plus now I know why you should research those fire foam dispensers. I thought rock wouldn’t burn but I forgot that all my crap lying around in storerooms will…it was 300+ Fahrenheit inside. Painful.

More quality of life mods recommended even for first-time players:

Quality Builder: makes it so objects with a “quality” rating are assigned to your builder with the highest construction stat, which means you can assign multiple builders without worrying about making sure the best one builds furniture and such.

Raindrops No Longer Fall on my Head: increases the priority builders attach to roofs, which for some reason otherwise often go unbuilt and then your batteries get rained on and explode…

Map Reroll: adds buttons to reroll the map or reroll just the geysers, at a small cost in terms of the mineral deposits on the next map.

And two mods which reduce difficulty slightly and probably ought not be used on first playthrough:

Prepare Carefully: lets you edit your colonists using a points system when preparing a new game. For when you get tired of rerolling them over and over and over.

Efficient Light: reduces the wattage of standard lamps from 100 to 25.

This game is eating me alive.

I lost a settlement to a cold snap, then another to a heat wave! Good grief. Does anyone know if making your colonists wear a parka during a heat wave have any real impact to their condition? I would think it does, but I can’t tell whether I need to do the busywork of getting each of them to strip down during the hot springs/summers.

edit: Hilarious to see raiders get taken down by my tamed muffalo and pig herd.

I think I need to ramp up my difficulty level. Mine colony is so peaceful I’m nodding off in front of my PC! What level are you playing?

I’ve been playing on Intense and Randy Random. Cassandra seems to have clockwork raids. Randy can give and Randy can taketh. I had a great colony going with a self tamed Thrumbo followed by a poison ship that dropped into my main crop field on a desert map. I botched the assault and lost the colony. Panic is the enemy of success.

They should take off the parka on their own if it’s too hot, they also change to dusters if you have any available which protect against heat.

And cowboy hats. Because they look cool. Always one of the first garments I craft

I just had an abusive, psychopath pyromaniac decide to join my colony. Worst and last choice he ever made. Never done it before but I promptly made him strip, arrested him and then euthanized him. The short term mood loss is a small price to pay for dodging social time bomb. I’ve already got a staggeringly ugly artist poisoning everybody’s mood.

Thank you so much for the list!

If anyone has visual mods I’d be thrilled to grab those too. I’m a graphics whore.

[quote=“MrCoffee, post:349, topic:73715, full:true”]They should take off the parka on their own if it’s too hot, they also change to dusters if you have any available which protect against heat.
[/quote]

I’m not sure that’s true or I’m doing something wrong. I had two colonists die from heat stroke during a heat wave with parkas on, without having assigned any clothing sets.

This parka and heat stuff reminds me of an episode of “Black Books”. It is a British comedy from ~15 years ago and is hilarious. There’s an episode where a guy tries to stay cool so he doesn’t end up with a silly thing called “Dave’s Disease”, but his workmate/boss hates him so he ends up tricking him into wearing a parka in 90* heat. It is Season 2 Episode 2 “Fever”. So funny!

I’m not sure that’s true or I’m doing something wrong. I had two colonists die from heat stroke during a heat wave with parkas on, without having assigned any clothing sets.
[/quote]

Are you forcing them to wear clothing?

Oh no. My digital people hate being forced to wear clothing. They already have plenty of reason to have mental breakdowns already! Most of them are depressive, jealous types!

“I’m freezing my tits off out here, but HOW DARE you force me to put on a parka!!!”

/nudist, conveniently armed with the colony’s only grenade launcher, goes berzerk

Heh, that’s weird tho, from my experience they changed clothing. You can always set a new clothing preset and mass change everyone to summer wear.

Why is making food called a “bill”? (I’m in early part of tutorial)

Good question! Maybe it’s meant to conjure up bills oF lading or such?

Version 1.6 is out (sort of, switch to “unstable” build in Steam). Many new features, notably including the ability to traverse the world map.

Maybe as part of the phrase “to fill the bill”.

Wanderlust update is now out as the default.

I kinda wrote this game off a long time ago after the dev posted about taking a break/quitting/whatever that was all about but damn if this isn’t a very impressive update.