Rimbo World

Also have a lurking Scyther blade installation on my map, which I only happen to know about because I totally didn’t accidentally dig into a slate wall and instantly suffer a total massacre and then reload a previous save.

Because she is my best researcher of course!

So she prowls around at night and occasional lights things on fire. Every room is made of stone but one, so the fire can never really exceed that, and my people are all quite quick at fixing her messes. Heck since Ramos joined us, the quality of life in my crashlanded town here has gone way up. We have high tech research, gunsmithing and once she finishes this geo thermal power, we’re going full on greenhouse!

All she pretty much does these days is sit in her room and study and study and every 10 days or so lights things up. We could not ask for a more dedicated researcher.

That’s an amazing story. I’d love to hear more about the pyro researcher. And you know, if I’d have had to make the same choice, I can’t say I’d have chosen differently!

Currently, I’m trying to remember how power works and how best to distribute it and how best to handle redundancy. Starting to remember the various quirks and gotchas, scratching my head.

She was one those new events, or newer. The one where a colonist just comes running down the road to camp, no choice given, and joins you. I saw her pyromaniac trait and thought, wait someone here said you can banish people so hell yeahb and then I saw her research. My starting group had three major weaknesses. We don’t have anyone who can socialize at all, 2 is my highest. Research was just really, really slow, and all our fighting skills are middling at best.

As soon as I put her to work on research, stuff started getting done. Not just research but it freed up my other person who was only so so and now we’re crafting and and making a ton of clothes so I can trade statues and clothes for some needed stuff. Ramos also did some labor work when the flu\ swept through the colony and of course it did not take her down. While everyone else was building up their immunity she just hauled stuff around and took care of the animals… she has every skill but talking and like I said my group is just a bunch of people who trip over their tongues. She fits right in.

The Cthulhu pack adds some flavor and role-playing opportunities on top of vanilla. It also adds unknown events and creatures, which are fun to discover. Its not a big game changer. For example, in my last session the colonists banded together to attack the dark beast that was lurking on the edges of the map (they won!), tried to tame a black cat, saw a murder of crows form, built an occult research center, had a random cultist join them, and are taking turns at the type-writer writing up journal pages which slowly restore their sanity.

This was in addition to the “normal” events like the main couple breaking up, the ex-girlfriend getting into a fist fight with the new researcher (who is going through withdrawl and is a bit nasty), fighting off a reasonably well-armed group of bandits (w rifles, pistols, etc), and seeing a herd of muffalo move through. Oh, and dealing with -25c nights in the autumn!

The dark mist and the lost ancient soldiers from my previous post were “big” events. I suspect there are more “big” events coming. :-) I am starting up the occult research to see if that triggers some more. :-) :-)

milspec

Thanks a lot you guys. Started a new colony because of this thread bump. I’m closing in on 400 hours total played.

Would kill for a mod that puts a message in the upper right corner, [pawn] has reached level [X] in [skill] ! Only thing this game’s missing is the ding vibe.

For pyros, since mustered peons will fight fires next to them, when a pyro goes on a spree I switch down to normal speed, assign a firefighting capable peon to military mode and have them shadow the perterbed pyro. They put out the fire just as quickly as the pyro lights it. It does mean that two colonists are distracted from their normal duties but that is often better than letting fire spread.

When toxic fallout hits remember that you can harvest plants even before they are fully ready. I believe that anything over 50% grown will yield something. Use the order to harvest and drag select across all your fields. Then double click on a growing zone to select them all and set to no sowing. Peons can still work outside in shifts if necessary. Just monitor their health and when the toxic effect gets to minor restrict them to your inside zone.

Here’s a random tip. Do you want to harvest trees in an area but want to only get the fully grown ones? Instead of having to click on each tree to check you can mark out a growing zone and set it to no sowing. This goes for wild berry bushes and healroot too. Also useful for ambrosia sprouts.

This game is something else. I bought it several Steam sales ago but only recently have I begun to play it. I’m mostly fiddling around with false starts figuring out how to do the basics. Mad props to Mc Master and his tutorials especially the on how to use caravans.

Some things I need help with.

• Deadfall traps: I had one colonist walk into one and die from it. Do I need to make zones to forbid colonists to go near them?
  • Is there a way to interact with NPC caravans that arrive at my base?
  • Is it just me or do you guys find yourselves tearing down significant portions of your base with the intent to optimize its design or for aesthetic reasons?

Finally I’m in desperate need of defense protips. How do you go about defending your base? Right now I have a wooden wall with doors built on the perimeter of my base but there doesn’t appear to be a way to shoot at them from within the safe confines of the wall. Can I build towers to shoot down upon the raiders?

I had a toxic fallout that lasted around a full month (I think it was a little longer), which made me realize that I needed more indoor fields. But I also noticed that the sown plants don’t die off all that quickly in the fallout, so I keep the fields sown as best as I can. Basically, every day I have a few planters go outside long enough to re-sow the dead spots in the fields. That way you don’t lose as much growing time.

I also send people out to hunt the new animals that walk into the map.

Colonists can stand little bouts of fallout exposure every couple of days, it’s fine. And plants and meats don’t become toxic after harvest just because they were exposed. Unless he changed that in B18.

I also send the animals out to graze every couple of days to conserve kibble and hay.

If you leave a gap in your walls, raiders will usually go through that. Lots of people just leave a long corridor filled with traps, but that feels to gamey for me. In my current game, I left a cave leading into my base. First the raiders go through there, getting hit by traps. Then they emerge and find turrets shooting at them. When they go to take cover, they run into the traps I put on all the tiles where they could. I keep my people farther back behind sandbags to shoot at anyone who can get through that gauntlet.

A full month!? Well then, once my green house is up and running, I guess we’re going The Martian on everyone. Potatoes for all, no ketchup.

I just realized i can refine human meat into chemfuel for my generators. i was wasting precious human meat by eating it.

My base is going to be powered by the flesh of my fallen enemies.

Does this game have a timetable for when it might leave Early Access? It sounds fun and all but I refuse to buy anything while it’s still in EA.

They just recently announced removing the DLC option in the near future, where you can insert your name into the story and stuff. That’s supposed to be in preparation for the next step for the game. No official date that I’ve seen.

It’s finally in Beta! This is build 0.18.1722 of RimWorld. That last number is the number of days since I first started working on RimWorld in February 2012. 1722 days – almost five years. It’s come a very long way since the first public look in September 2013. It’s time to start bringing it to a close, which is why version 0.18 is Beta 18 instead of Alpha 18.

The “Beta” designation means that we’re on the final stretch before the 1.0 release, and that there won’t be major content additions like whole new game systems.

https://ludeon.com/blog/2017/11/rimworld-beta-18-a-world-of-story-is-released/

As long as there is a way around a trap they will avoid it.

You can only interact with visitors that have a question mark next to their heads. Select colonists with the best social skill and right click on the visitor that has the question mark.

Yes, I usually rebuild significant portions of my base as the game goes on. Especially to replace wood walls with stone walls to make the base less flammable.

You can’t shoot from within the walls. For cover To Shoot from Build sandbags. The best defense is to leave away into the base that is lined with traps and ends in an area with turrets and a shooting position for your colonists. I posted a picture of a typical entry trap above.

Wooden walls are of limited effectiveness since they can be torn down easily. Replace them with stone walls as soon as you can. Once your initial wall is built when you have the resources to do so double or triple it up.

You should split up your one dining/work room. Having seperate dining, recreation and work rooms gives you multiple opportunities for room quality mood bonuses.

When you walk close to a room full of hidden mechanoids for the first time you should see a message about sensing an ancient evil.

Wow, this is great game.

Now excuse me, need to get back to the game.

Survive the Toxic Fall, 11 days total, had plenty of food still left, lots of hay for my four-legged cloth making machines and then we cycled through everyone getting the plague for about 8 days. I did get my greenhouse up though so first on the menu, medicine churning.