Rimbo World

The other day I had to reload when a huge pack of rabid terriers invaded the colony through a door I forgot I had left open. They took down most of my team before I noticed what was happening. I had been half watching TV while the speed was turned up. My inattention doomed everyone. While it was one of the more hilarious things I’ve had happen I had to rewind fate rather than let that be the end.

God takes a holiday.

This is the story of the end of a colony.

The end didn’t come because of the cult they formed or because of the dark things they began to investigate. The end started because they ran out of medicine. Jan, the elderly woman, was the best at planting crops but she had been bedridden for weeks because of gut worms.

Spiders attacked, and they were repelled. But in the chaos of the fight one of the colonists got too close to a Young Thing, the goat-like tree creatures who had been stalking the colony. Two attacked, and overwhelmed their simple defenses. In the end it was only Sappy the Police Sergeant who remained on his feet - the other 5 were down and bleeding.

rw-monsters

Sappy got them all into bed, and tended them as best he could. He was not a great medic, so it took a long time. He used the last two bundles of herbal medicine, and treated the others by hand. Eventually, Scarlet got back on her feet.

rw-characters

They had been lovers, once, and even engaged to marry. That was before they each found different people who were more suited to them. She hated aliens - he loved them. There was no overcoming it.

Everyone retreated to their own beds to rest and heal. By morning three would succumb to infection or starvation. In those long hours stuck in the infirmary Sappy and Andy spoke of many things. Sappy was always practical and suspicious of the cult. Andy was a newcomer and his allegiances were as obvious as the cultist robes he wore. Late at night they discussed religion and spirituality. Sappy was impressed by Andy’s knowledge - Andy wasn’t impressed that Sappy would not join the cult.

rw-sappy

Andy, Sappy and Sean (the Evangelist) slowly recovered and for two days things were normal. They hauled monstrous corpses out, buried their companions, repaired the vital generators, cooked food and hoped for the future.

An eclipse cast an eerie glow across the land but it brought something dark. Deep Ones rushed through the thick forest. The colonists lured two of them inside. The deep ones were overcome, but so was a colonist. Sappy dragged Sean to bed to heal.

The last Deep One broke down one of the few remaining wooden walls and started smashing its way through their dining room. Andy opened the door to lure it out but underestimated its speed and was knocked down. Sappy stood his ground and fired at the hideous frog-like monster, but he was beaten badly. The Deep One carried his unconscious form off to do untold things.

Sean died in his bed.

Andy died in the freezer, where he had dragged himself in a desperate final act to grab food. He gulped down one of their last fine meals, then lost consciousness. Last supper, indeed.

Were the monsters summoned by the colonists’ initial attempts to learn something otherworldly? Or were the colonists not fast enough to learn the dark arts to protect themselves from this evil place?

Long time ago I had a raid strike my group, and they broke through the defenses. My colonists were already brushed and battered from other threats. The handful of hurt colonists remaining made a last stand in my command center area, against seemingly impossible odds. Many selfless acts of valor occurred as colonists sacrificed their lives so that the colony might survive. The raid was relentless, but they finally fled with one colonist still alive. But he was bleeding badly and before he was able to get himself the appropriate items to stop the bleeding, he collapsed with the exclamation point over his head, and no one was there to save him just steps always from his goal. It took a long time for him to perish as he lay there among the remnants of the battle.

Awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

I’m afraid this mod would give me nightmares.

Awesome

Aw, that was all from a mod?

Mostly. The big issues (running out of medicine, planning ahead for planting, defense, moods) are vanilla but some of the flavor is from the Cthulhu pack:

https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=829619412

Plus some other mods I linked above, namely Psychology which generated the detailed social interactions.

I recently had two characters, named Grumpy and Hopey, start a relationship. I am really rooting for them to stay together and get married.

I’ve gotten to the point where it seems every raid includes sappers. The last one had two grenade throwing guys and one with Molotov cocktails. Before I could even get my crew together to try and snipe the grenadiers they were through an outer wall that encapsulates a pasture area. There was no time to mount the mortars or install sentry guns to prepare for the breach. Fortunately I was able to mount a defense of the inner wall in time and took the grenadiers out before they could make a hole in my inner wall. My team took a lot of gunshots in the process but no permanent damage was done. The battle required some serious micromanagement. I had a couple of snipers outside on opposite sides of the map to harass and break up the enemy that I had to keep moving back as the enemy approached. Lot of double taps on the space bar to un-pause for half a second and make sure I haven’t left someone stupidly standing out in the open.

If this is going to be the norm I need to change up my defense strategy. Right now among 10 peons I have 8 sniper rifles, one guy with a charge rifle and only one melee fighter. While that setup works great out in the open when there’s time to harass the enemy, with wall breaches now seeming inevitable and quick I need to be able to mount a better mid range defense. I’m thinking more guys with charge rifles, maybe a chain gun, and at least one more shielded melee fighter. The slow firing sniper rifles just don’t cut it at medium to short range. I also need to set up some sandbag positions outside the inner wall for my guys to start shooting from after the outer walls get breached. I took a lot of LMG and machine pistol hits because a few of my sniper armed peons were just standing next to each other in the open right outside a door in the inner wall for part of the battle. My trap corridor/kill box has given me a false sense of security up until now.

Ok picked this up today as it was not on the steam sale, Any QoL mods that I should start with or just go for it as is. Not gonna get much play time in the next week but work gave my a crisp £50 note today so this game was it.

I don’t use mods and I love the game, but a lot of people love the mods.

I’d say try a few games vanilla. Cassandra and hard. You will lose a few times but in the process figure out all the systems Only mod you might want to start with is Prepare Carefully which lets you basically hand pick your starting colonists skills and traits. Just don’t create super humans. And don’t take pyromaniacs…at least at first

Then try some mods. I recommend.
HugsLib - base for other mods
EPOE - Extended Prosthetic and Organ Engineering - advanced bionics
Stack XXL - no reason to have huge freezers or stockpiles of a zillion different cloths
Stack Merger
Infused - gives some items special abilities
Hospitality - create a guest quarters and host visitors…also can recruit.
Scruffy Tabs - Medical, Relations, etc.
More Vanilla Factions
RimFridge - Just get this. Build small refrigerators for meals in dinning rooming or staging cooking components.
Basic Bridges - Cross and build on water tiles. Very useful.
Allow Tool
Hand me that brick
Quality Builder
Efficient Light
A Dog said
Rimsenal - Once you get bored with vanilla weapons. These can be quite fun and not really too OP.
Misc Training
Miniaturization - move those workbenches instead of scrapping them
Beast of the Rim - when you get bored with vanilla critters.
More Trait Slots
Fallout Traits

No mods on my end either, but I know there are a bunch out there, which I’ll check out eventually.

Meanwhile I’m 35 hours into my 1st colony and I’d already call this my GOTY for 2017, easily.

Added this paragraph based on comment about pyro, I picked up one myself, she gets up to a hilarious amount of dangerous mischief in my currently all wood buildings. On a couple of occasions I had to have another colonist follow her around putting out what she set. Even this I love.

Also my GOTY of 2017. Easily. I absolutely love the mod scene too. I bet I’m running 30-40 mods. My favorite is probably either the robot mod or the one that adds all of the new guns and turrets and stuff, oh, and the careful planning mod. My last playthrough I did a solo roboticist with just himself and like 4 robots. So much fun. I recommended this game to a buddy 5 days ago and he’s put in 30 hours since then. Yes, he has a full-time job and kids.

I’m pretty sure that @DrCrypt died playing RimWorld or he’s racing me for “most insane time played.”

Ha! Or, I just leave it open for days on end, even when I’m not playing it. But I do love this game! I keep on meaning to ping you for tips.

If you are new to modding, start with most if not all of Fluffy’s mods, then go from there. His stuff is nearly mandatory for me.

Here is my list of quality of life mods for B18:

The one mod I feel that’s required is Fluffy’s Work Mod.