Rimbo World

I admire that the developer hasn’t “backed down” and is still selling the game at $30.

I find that it lacks a clear vision regarding the endgame, building a rocket and taking off seems a bit arbitrary to me. I would like to be able to better interact with the other groups on the map for instance, maybe even visit their base or launch an attack to take them over. Alliances, stuff like that.

Researching is another big problem, there’s not enough of it and researching the current techs take little to no time with a decent researcher. Turrets for example, why is there only one type of turret? This game needs more of everything and a proper endgame design. I don’t see a full version of this coming any time soon and if it does the game will be too shallow for a 1.0.

On the official forums he seems content building simple stuff, such as colored lights, based off of customer feedback. I sincerely hope he’s got bigger plans for this.

Yeah, I watched a let’s play video of it and was disappointed. I really didn’t like the end game which was just everyone build a rocket and leave. I wanted a sim where you actually build a living city that trades and does other things instead of a shelter you intend to abandon. Also the endless waves of pirates got old quite fast.

I think the endgame is still sort of a “placeholder” same as the raids (why are they raiding?) and all the diplomacy.

Same for the traders, they are placeholder for actual trading with other civs.

I don’t know, I may be misunderstanding, but in the Alpha 11 update he seems to feel its pretty complete -

17 minutes in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LR9wqSyfSwQ#t=1019

That’s bad news. There’s a lot of quality game in there but if feels very far from complete, imho.

He is going to release it as early access tho, i think he it wasn’t good enough before to put it on steam but its far from completation yes.

Also he is still taking suggestion on new features on reddit as always.

http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/on-the-upcoming-steam-release/

Aww

Its a pretty good game as it is, and features a lot more…eh…features than many other games, and those features are well developed and fleshed out. He mentions himself the game could have tons of more features, but that is true of every game.

I’d be happy with a few more iterations, some mods I guess, and then calling the game done. Maybe an expansion eventually, but I don’t mind calling it quits around now or in the early next year, as it seems to be the case.

I don’t think going Early Access and then immediately taking six months off is going to go down too well over there on the Steam forums. If it’s done, release it.

Wonder what the EA price is going to be - $30 is a lot for something like this, especially when it is considered “done”.

Yeah, this is not what most people expect under Early Access.

Sounds like he’s changed his mind and will mark it as non-early access/ v1.0. Disappointing news, however, since many people seem to feel that the content isn’t there yet to really be calling it ‘done’. Also, Steam has trained us to expect updates/expansions even for released games (Terraria), not a sudden void after a month of clean-up effort.

I enjoy RimWorld but don’t regard it as finished. Caveat emptor and all that, but I expected more before it was ‘done.’

Me too - I remember when I bought it he was saying the graphics are only placeholders - they’ve remained exactly the same. :)

I don’t know why he needs 6 months off, I haven’t followed him but I do know that in my job I can’t get through a stressful project and take 6 months off to decompress. That’s called getting laid off.

I’ve followed Rimworld on and off for a long time, and Tynan (the dev) always has seemed to have a bit of an ego / attitude issue. I could be wrong, but I’ve just gotten that impression from tweets/blog posts/interviews/etc that I’ve read about the game in the past. Again, could be wrong, but I sorta get the feeling he thinks he’s way smarter than everyone. Thus, how could he possibly be wrong about the game being “done”. And clearly a genius like himself deserves a six month vacation!

he did say that, but after a while people got used to them and he decided to stick with them, with some modifications. Something like that.

Personally I already enjoyed the game more than prison architect a few versions back, so i don’t really disagree it is fine for release state. YMMV but i don’t regret buying it. Steam workshops support will be cool since the modding scene is pretty good.

Looks like he changed his mind

http://ludeon.com/blog/2015/07/steam-release-moved-to-2016/

Good on him for listening to feedback and adapting. I’m not sure how much this actually helps the game if he’s truly feeling a bit burned out, but…

I’m guessing he is still going to take the break but not going to drop it on steam were every new person that buys it calls it vaporware.