Rimbo World

It’s a genuinely great game as is, Early Access and all. I went with Rando over Cassandra for philosophical reasons. It will inevitably be compared to Dwarf Fortress; I found it far more accessible while providing the same “kick” of DF, although I miss the adventure mode of DF. It’s much more entertaining to just watch the colony run than in DF, and it’s not like deciphering hieroglyphs. I will say DF might be an order of magnitude more complex in its simulation, but I can’t be sure.

DF is absolutely more complex of a simulation, but it is arguable if the parts that are simulated all really contribute to the gameplay. RimWorld is a bit more focused in what it chooses to simulate as most of it has in-game impact.

I finally broke down and am installing the Cthulhu pack.

Since I added that mod, I also included a few of the mods Milspec mentioned earlier. I’ll let everyone know if I put up a video ( I probably will)

Can’t wait to see what pain and suffering occurs. :-)

A lot of pain and suffering occurred! I ended up turning a lot of the mods off because I started having weird bugs with them on.

On a horror note, though, I’m having a good time with my new diplomatic envoy to the peace talk opportunities. (I name characters after people on Qt3 and stuff sometimes)

Been laughing pretty hard about this.

I also had a “raid go wrong” with extreme aging. This lady really hung in there!

Just to be clear, he didn’t skin anyone. All he did was buy human leather from a merchant, make a full human leather suit and hat, and force his person to wear it. So it’s not like he’s being a weirdo or anything.

Perfectly normal.

Ok, as someone who doesn’t “get this” in the age of pretty much everything looks better graphics, what is it about this game that people love? I’ve watched a couple of Youtubes and I’m trying to figure out what exactly it is that people find so engaging on a minute to minute basis.

Funny thing about this game. It is terrible to view on YouTube and if I hadn’t enjoyed prison architect I might not have ever tried it. So I guess you could call PA a gateway to accept simple graphics.

What is it that makes it so good? I think it’s because it’s part Sims, part city builder, part zoo tycoon, part tower defense, with a little evolutionary “the Martian” novel thrown in. It’s got a wicked learning curve, but is one of those games that is rewarding to figure out and once you do so many things just “click”. Even though you have tiny South Park cardboard cutouts for people, you truly get to now their personalities and quirks.

It’s really a wonderful game, but I can totally see how one can be all, “Why do people like this, it doesn’t look good on YouTube”.

I figured this was pretty much the allure. It’s certainly one of those games I’ll have to try for myself, and see if it clicks. There are a ton of games, both old and new, that I like despite not being “state of the art”. I tend to watch some vids of games before I buy them at this point in history, and usually, I’m either turned off or sold pretty quickly. This was one of those games that had me scratching my head trying to figure out why so many people seemed to engage with it. That usually makes me scratch my head a few times before I give up on it.

I really try to pay attention to the “I’m probably missing something” aspect of things in general. If there is positive feedback on something, I’ll do my damndest to figure out why, and if it applies to me.

Cheers for the response, and happy new year!

If you’ve ever played the Sims and then thought “I’m a boring guy living in the suburbs, so why am I playing a game about being a boring guy living in the suburbs?” then RimWorld is for you.

What don’t get from watching on Youtube is that there’s always some goal that your working toward. You want to wall off your settlement or research a new technology or get your crops harvested. And while you’re trying to achieve those goals you get hit by challenges like raids and natural disasters. The game does a very good job of keeping you on your toes. There’s always something happening.

I had the same first impression on watching other people play RimWorld.

Eventually, I sort of just knew I was ready and dove right in. I was in the mood for a deep, fantasy-sci-fi story generator in the vein of Firefly with detailed characterization.

As I was explaining to my dad a few weeks ago: in some games your character might get shot and your health bar goes down. In RimWorld, if one of your characters gets shot you better make sure you have a clean medical bed available, antibiotics and medicine, preparedness to fight infection… that’s the level of detail this game is going for.

Good gosh, Steam Spy is reporting this game at just about 900K owners. Should easily pass a million this year.

The funny thing is that at one point, he was going to drop it on Steam and essentially walk away.

It’s really not that funny since it does happen. I am glad he mostly stuck with it though. I would sure like to have better inventory management though. My stupid little pawns will literally start six piles of wood right next to each other, and I hate have to say put wood here and only wood here… like item specific zones all over the place.

As for the appeal, there is something just awesome about these village management/survival style games where you can get to know each character as you start from the ground up. Rimworld is not my favorite theme, but it’s got a lot of flavor and a lot of flexibility.

Hey! So I’m going to start working on updating my new player guides!

I did a new one for how to make a caravan

For new players - is there anything you’d like to know that you haven’t been able to find out? For you veterans - what was hard for you to figure out that you wished had been better explained?

I hope to do a bunch of smaller ones, like this one, more than a large guide like I’ve done before.

love the form and the duration Jason. I still haven’t picked this up - but I will be, and these shorter videos are perfect versus a long 30+min tutorial that goes over a little of everything.

You make it sound like he was going to walk away permanently.

Ty planned on taking - and took - a few months’ break before continuing development. He thought out releasing it on Steam prior to taking that break as the clamor to purchase on Steam was considerable. Some of us managed to convince him that the Steam community would be a lot less forgiving about such a break in contrast to his fan base on his website. He agreed and did not release on Steam until he returned but the plan remained the same. He never was going to walk away permanently.

He avoided damage to the reputation of the product and the headaches caused by that by not releasing prior to his break.

Thanks for making these basic explanation videos, as someone new to the game I basically just do stuff hit or miss, or skip doing it if I don’t know how it works (caravans being a perfect example).

I’m glad they help!

I’m thinking about trying to cover stuff like room size, moods, defenses, refrigeration, etc

I have a decent transport pod one, but I need to shorten it up a bit.