Rimbo World

Sounds pretty cool to me, I’m betting I’m not the only noob who is just making it up as they go and wouldn’t mind finding such a resource for when they get stuck.

I had this game sitting on my backlog for a couple years. When I initially purchased it I tried it out for 10-15 minutes and gave up in confusion. I decided to give it another shot recently when I was feeling good and had hours of free time in front of me and no wife and no kid in the house and I’m so glad that I did. This was the game that convinced me that there are still new, amazing games being made. I hadn’t played anything in literally years that grabbed me as much as this game (that isn’t Out of the Park Baseball that I play all the time no matter what). The graphics are simple, it looks dumb on youtube videos, but once it clicks it is just incredible. I recommended it to a buddy a couple weeks ago. 4 days later he had 22 hours played. He has a full time job and two little kids.

Yeah, it’s the type of game that if it clicks for you it really clicks.

Thanks for the clarification. I missed the all important detail that it was a break. Feels like a Friends episode.

I’d like to see an offensive raid conducted like when you get a message stating there’s a bad guy outpost nearby and that you’ll be rewarded if you take it out. I got my ass handed to me when I last tried one. I take it you need more than just 4 or 5 people to go on the offensive and everyone you bring needs to be well armed and armored.

A defensive killbox video would be nice too if you’re so inclined.

I haven’t played in quite a while, since that overworld map and travel was added. So I want to know about travel.

Also I’d love to learn the latest on early game defenses.

Thanks.

For offensive raids think seige not frontal assault. Build a position. Bring via pack animals and/or drop in via transport pod supplies to create defenses. Bring steel to build sandbags. Turrets are transportable, as are batteries to run them.

I’ve never gone on the offensive until I have half a dozen transport pods of supplies ready to launch as soon as the caravan arrives.

I learned what to do from the pirates when they lay siege to me. Build defenses and then flush them out with mortar fire.

A first 15 minutes video would be good @Jason_McMaster. There’s a lot for new players to grasp, but you always generally do the same setup everytime once you know what you’re doing. Plus there are some small tricks (like building an unwalled roof over your initial supply location) that I didn’t even know after a hundred hours playing.

These are all great suggestions!! I thank you all!

Going to try to work on a Stationeers demo tonight, then I need to get a vanilla game set up for recording. That won’t take long.

Speaking of defenses, anyone doing anything interesting? I do a number of things like setting up the path of traps and making mortars, etc, but I’ve been curious. How do people like to use sandbags?

I figure out where my kill zone is going to be where the enemy has gotten through my traps. Then I put in sandbags where I want my guys to be waiting to ambush them at that moment. I used to use them to protect my turrets too, but then enemies get protected from gunfire too while they’re melee attacking them.

Here is my current and best colony ever.

I have the ocean to my back and a kill box on the east. The north is covered by a bunker with powered spots for turrets to be moved in case sappers try that direction. I’m building one on the west side as well.

I keep my best fighters in power armor all the time. I’ve tried to have a central armory but when the shit hits the fan it’s often too late to do the quick change. I’ve got racks for psychic lances and rocket launchers as desperate measures.

I’m also just about to start tackling some quests to destroy bandit camps now that I have some drop pods to reinforce an attack if needed. Every time I’ve gone on a quest so far, I have been severely outclassed. Just hope the base doesn’t get hit while I’m gone.

Oh and Xavier is the nearly brain dead guy who I felt sorry for and made my cleaner. He would fall unconscious at the drop of a hat and lie in bed for weeks and months. My social warden/negotiator El fell in love with him and I was stuck with him. Finally got him a ai brain chip and he is at 65% consciousness and much more useful. Ironically he had a pretty decent research skill and did a lot of the work to research brain surgery so he could get fixed. Just another day on the rim.

Is that giant turtles or something in the top left?

I put sandbags around turrets, in an L or U shape to the expected threat direction.

Later when sappers become more common and I can’t rely on the entry trap, I put sandbag positions outside the walls on either side of my doors to provide protection as I try to shoot the sappers before they breach. Since they are right up on the wall I don’t worry about the enemy being able to use them as they usually all stay back from the wall while the grenadiers are breaching. Once they do breach (or if I take out their ability to do so) I’m running back inside so the position isn’t of much use to them.

As mentioned above on offensive raids I don’t just charge in, I build a position that I hope to draw the enemy to. Sometimes when on the offensive on the main map, like when you have to go outside to confront a siege, I do the same. Rather than making a colonist a soldier and sending them out to attack right away, draw some sandbag positions to use and set the colonist to prioritize working on them. Or if one of your soldiers can’t build, create a one tile critical stockpile where you plan to build your defenses and have them priority haul to it. Make use of their trip to the front. Remember that batteries and turrets are transportable. A good offense team is one guy hauling steel, one guy hauling bricks, one with a charged battery, and as many others with turrets as you can send. Build a short wall to put the batter behind, drop the turrets in front of it, build some sandbags in front of them, and a few Sandbag-Wall-Sandbag positions for your guys to shoot from.

Yes, Toraton from the Beasts of the Rim mod. Adds some nice variety.

Must be nice, pretty much every time I raided the enemy had mortars of their own so my guys would just be killed. So I usually drop podded down right on top of them with power armor (and bears)

I like the idea of that, but i hate the idea of dealing with even more leather and more meat types and still having one of the worst inventory systems I’ve worked with.

If you get the stack mods it’s a tad better. I’m obsessive compulsive about selling all the different leathers to traders to keep the clutter down as well. Somebody should make a mod with a cabinet that holds all the textiles (might be one already). Having them all lying on the ground is really messy and tough on my OCD :)

I use the stack mod and the Extended Storage mod was great for that, but he took out it out of the workshop and the last update it’s not working… quit right. Still better but not perfect.

Oh yeah he has it up on other mod sits, just not Steam for some reason.

Ouch. So far the only raiding I’ve done was on a17, attacking nearby pirate settlements. I never saw mortars, just a ton of guys and turrets. I am just now up to building out some drop pods in preparation to attack something in a b18 game. It sounds like perhaps I should rethink my siege plans. Did you encounter mortars in regular pirate settlements, quests, both?

One thing I know from this play-through I need more of is bears. In my current I tamed a grizzly and bought a polar bear. I wish I could use the com panel to post a message to traders “bears and bionic parts wanted”.

It was a17 and it was a nearby pirate settlement the first time. Also I hit a couple places that were flagged by friendly groups as pirate havens that you get a reward for and 1 of 2 of those also had mortars.

I always just tame all of the bears that wander into my map. If you get 4 of them on your map over the course of the year, maybe you can manage to tame one of them, and hopefully you don’t lose your best animal tamer to an bear freakout. But once you have 2 of them of different genders, then you’ll have more soon enough. :)