Rimbo World

:( Had a start with a colonist that was a former navy scientist, and lvl 10 medic. She got attacked by a mad rat, no one seemed able to heal her so she died.

This is a bad game for anyone that likes modding the game up for the sake of modding the game up. It is like Skyrim 2.0.

RPS has a great WOT I Think about Rimworld… I think it sums the game up really well

I didn’t play at all in B19 so I’m not sure what was introduced there and what’s completely new in 1.0, but I am really enjoying all the new things I’m finding. (Playing mostly vanilla, only recently added medical tab and rim fridge back in)

While I am going to miss the bear army I was breeding in my last early access game, I do like the attrition of tameness that wild animals have.

Being able to shift-click and queue multiple orders is a godsend. Also I could have sworn I’ve seen my peons taking something nearby to a stockpile that they were going to anyway to get construction materials.

I also like how they nerfed the comms console. It was a little to easy to just pay for relations and constantly summon caravans. It gives one much more reason to create actual caravans. The relation decay for some factions seems like a good addition as well.

Quests seem much more balanced now. The fact that you sometimes get a briefing on what to expect is especially welcome. I’ve actually done a few quests already rather than hole up in my base until I have an army of bionic supermen with drop pod backup. Given the new relation decay, now the peace talks mission has gone from a “why would I bother” to “must do”. I got +70 relations out of one such mission. Considering how much in gifts relations seems to cost that was my best ROI on a mission yet.

I also like what they’ve done with traps by making them hit harder, but require rebuilding and spacing. Though I always used the trapped corridor of death strategy it was a bit cheesy. The best new change for traps is animals avoid them now (unless mad) so you create “minefields” of spike traps without worrying about your animals setting them off. I still have an entrance with some unavoidable traps, but I’ve also put trap zones around the corners of my walls and around the edges of hills and other places enemies are likely to have to route around the edges of terrain. Having several small trapped areas around the map also gives me places to try to lure enemies into outside the walls rather than relying on a single meat grinder entrance.

There are so many nice new touches. I am really liking 1.0 so far.

One more thing I recently discovered, it looks like if another factions people are injured or killed on your land though no fault of your own you no longer suffer a relation penalty.

I had an event where a fleeing person radioed me for sanctuary and I agreed. In between the time she arrived and getting raided by the people chasing her a caravan from another faction arrived. The raid showed up and ran smack dab into the caravan before I could even get on the scene. The caravan was better larger and better armed and they massacred the raiders, but the trader and some of their animals were killed in the exchange. And that’s how my colony got a free flat screen TV.

So one of my dudes went on an anti-animal rampage and wiped out my amazing trained pets making everyone else upset. I thought he’d stop after one, but noooo… he had to kill them all!

So, what could I have to done to reign this douchebag? I can’t kill him cause I actually need his talents LOL. Try to arrest him with everyone around? Anyone done that before? Any other creative ideas?

Not sure there’s anything you could have done. As the RPS review linked above makes clear, that’s part of the point.

It’s like observing and interfering in an ant colony. You can funnel the insects one way or another, you can design their tunnels and abuse their pathfinding abilities. But you’ll never be queen. You’re never really in control.

Arm your best melee guy with a club and try to arrest him. Unless he is your best melee guy, then you’re screwed. Though you are likely screwed either way since people are going to get wounded in the scuffle.

I have mixed feelings on letting animals bond. Sure, the morale boost is nice, but the animal will eventually die and I’d often rather forgo a boost to avoid a potential problem later. I usually unassign animals as soon as I tame them.

I keep having them accidentally get bonded. No way to have them guard a person on the hunt, but not have them become bonded I suspect?

There’s no way to avoid it completely, but if you only assign the animal a master when you are actively using them it will minimize the chances.

You could have harvested him for body parts or sold him into slavery

Are medics able to use harvested organs in surgery, do you sell them, or what is their purpose?

all of the above

I believe there’s a mood penalty involved in harvesting organs from someone.

well, yeah, they’ll get bummed out but hey, free organs!

I can’t do it. We’ll make synthetic organs before I harvest from living meeps.

Yes, there is a mood penalty for most colonists… But… I mean… The guy was a pain in your butt!

The extra organs are helpful to fix chronic issues like asthma.

You could also just teach him a lesson by replacing all his limbs with pegs.

It all comes down to what kind of God you want to be!

I got a mission to save one of my colonist’s 72 year old grandmother. Unknown enemy forces. I have a feeling this won’t end well, but I’ve sent my two best soldiers off to try to free her.

Turns out nana is a greedy nudist with a psychite addiction. Fortunately she was only guarded by three rabid turtles.

I hate when that happens.

In other news, I took notes while watching some how-to Rimworld videos and created my own little handy-dandy very basic getting started guide, which I call “Rimworld Marching Orders” and which I am happy to share: