Rimbo World

That is awesome. I have never manipulated two colonists into marriage.

It doesn’t need to be (not even with a powergenerator on it). I always set up near a geyser because it provides free warmth that is unaffected by events or resource shortages. In my setup I have a vent leading to a room with a transparent roof. This allows me to grow food in winter without the need for either sunlamps or hydroponics (its balanced by sunlight being reduced to 80% of normal which reduces growth rate). It also prevents the wooden walls around the geyser from catching fire, which will happen if temperature is allowed to rise to 100+ Celsius.

I don’t have a tree density mod btw. That’s the swamp biome where that density is normal.

Could you explain this more? Do you have pictures of this setup? What is a transparent roof? How large is this room? What are the results like?

I’m still confused about power. I just had a power outage, but the game didn’t report a “Zzzt” and all power lines and devices are working fine. I know I need to segregate power sources better, but I’m kind of baffled at how to do so. I’ll post a screenshot of the current base later.

Is there a mod that can help troubleshoot power issues and give me hints as to where to look first, as I redo my power?

My first inclination is just a power line on a single square got removed or broken without a zzztt event. Or your power needs just outstrip your power production.

I’ve never taken the time to segregate power. I just keep my freezers cold enough that they can weather an outage. Lock the doors to the freezer if you need to keep people from going through unnecessarily. My food is always fresh enough it can weather a day of spoilage here and there.

There isn’t much complexity to power in rimworld. Having one big grid is fine. You will want to keep switches on things like sections of your defenses so they are only on when needed. Having battery banks on switches is also wise so you can leave some charged batteries disconnected to serve as a backup in case of a Zzztt. At some point make your power grid into just that, a grid, with redundant connections so if one tile of conduit is destroyed it doesn’t take down everything after it.

Do switches just need to be placed next to conduit?

Yes.5

You might have been hit by a solar flare event. Check your history log.

You can see it in the picture of the base I posted two days ago. It’s the room with the odd square pattern left of the geyser room. Wall in a geyser and roof it, build a room adjacent to it and put a vent in the wall between them. Warmth transfers to the new room.

As to the size, that depends on how warm you want it to be. Make it too large and the warmth generated by the geyser won’t be enough to keep the temperature up.

The transparent roof is part of a mod I linked earlier.

Erika and Adrian have finally married. The people of Edor celebrate the occasion.

That takes care of Erika, however Tamara still keeps hitting on Chris. To his credit he remains completely faithful to his wife, but the rejection is taking a toll on Tamara. Fortunately I haven’t seen Gabby, Chris’ grandmother-in-law, try the same so things haven’t gotten weird in the colony, but she could use a companion as well so I’ve been on the lookout for good men of all ages to come settle in the village of Pandale.

During Erika and Adrian’s long engagement, among the many events that occurred in the passing days, a pirate trader came through. Edorians frown on slavery and have no use for the dangerous substances sold by such traders. However the villagers took notice of the kind nature and iron will of a slave named Irgo. He had grown up among one of the local primitive tribes and had spent many decades since working as a scout. A skilled warrior, Irgo was planning to retire soon and settle down on the farm he always dreamed of when an expedition he was on fell victim to the slavers who brought him to our town. 1800 silver was paid to the pirates to free him.

He’s been a valuable addition to the colony. He’s a skilled hunter, and though he’s not yet very skilled in growing crops and tending to animals his dreams of settling down on a farm lends passion to his work and he is learning quickly.

At 60 he’s much older than Tamara, 37, and younger than Gabby, who turned 75 this year, but he seems to get along great with both girls so who knows.

I was hoping perhaps someone would make a move during the wedding celebration, but there was nothing more than pleasant conversation. With everyone in a good mood from the party I hope that perhaps love will blossom again in the colony, thus freeing up another bedroom.

That is an awesome looking village you got there. I aspire to that sort of success.

As for me, I couldn’t figure out why my solar power generator wasn’t working. Then I realized I’d put a roof over it.

The obvious solution is to throw some flood lights in there.

Yeah, that’s the ticket.

Or drill some holes in the panel.

I’m new to Rimworld as of 1.0, but I am having a blast and have been playing a lot the last week or so. I’ve been reading this thread for tips and tricks, but one thing I can’t seem to get working is calling in caravans on the comm’s console. I can’t get anyone to ally with me, and that is apparently a prerequisite for calling in caravans. I have been trying to gift silver to visiting caravans as much as I can afford, but it is pretty expensive to raise goodwill, I think. I’ve also begun releasing prisoners. Do you need to do anything else to get them to ally?

You can also make your own caravans and visit other settlements. So if you are desperate to sell stuff/raise goodwill I suggest going that route.

How come my settlements look like a total mess and yours is so beautiful and organized? Sad…

Sending caravans to nearby settlements is fairly safe in 1.0 and isn’t the suicide mission it could be in earlier alphas.

Requesting a caravan is now more of a special occasion.

Take a caravan and visit someone to “gift” them stuff. It can be money or even tainted wearable crap you don’t want (they may not accept all of it). Any interdictions to your caravan are balanced off how many people go so as long as you take a balanced weapon you should be good.

I sometimes use the gift option as a trash dump. Load up a caravan with everything I don’t want, plus a hoard of leathers, then send it on its way. Once you get someone to level 75, they’re an ally for life (mostly).

It seems factions have a baseline relations value they move towards. I have non pirate factions where relations drop about 15 toward -80 each year (or a couple of times a year, I haven’t noted the dates to see). Other factions are friendlier and relations won’t drop unless they are above 50.

Once you hit 75, you remain an ally until you go below 0.

Just trading boosts relations, in proportion to the value of goods exchanged. Doing missions also offers big bonuses.