Rimbo World

I would play with Cassandra on the level above Builder, personally. At least if you don’t mind losing. I think it is important to get a sense of the stories of the colony, and I think you can only really get that when faced with conflict and tragedy.

Losing and starting again armed with the knowledge from your previous failure is the addictive hook for me.

Thanks @MarinusWA, @Nesrie, and @dionisus1122!

I think in the beginning it is better to avoid events until you kind of understand the mechanics, the flow. It might give someone a laugh to die suddenly but the mining, storage, food prep, gardening, finding out what it really means to get a new recruit, prisoners… it doesn’t do a great job with all that. Once you feel comfortable well… heh, easy way to get out of that comfort.

I guess, but learning the mechanics of beauty and mood and room size and heat and cold and all that stuff is great, but the real fun (for me) is watching your perfectly laid plans get wrecked when you are swarmed by raiders. Surviving that the raid and almost rebuilding only to have your cook have a mental break and start stabbing everyone.

Tried a few times last night

1. Got infected 1st fight … died
  2. Built a room around a geyser with a vent into the bedroom … died of heatstroke
  3. One on one from the 1st raid … clubbed to death, need better range stats
  4. Died of food poisoning … need better cooking stats :)

going to try a few more tonight

Phoebe gives you raids. Cassandra though can give you one of those global events within the first handful of days sometimes. I don’t think that’s something you really learn from… I’m not talking about oh here is a raid, I better get defenses I’m talking about that, uhhh, other ones.

Is this worth playing without mods, or is it only “good” with some (or many) mods installed? It bugs me that last time I looked at this there was so many mods everyone was using to make it “better” and I typically get super bored of a game while installing mods for it, for some reason. I just want games to be awesome out of the gate, and then later grab some QOL mods as I think of things I might like to tweak.

I played vanilla for a while before adding the fridge and some UI mods. Mods are nice but not totally necessary.

That’s fine. I have a different opinion and find it enjoyable to get smashed like that early and come back again in the next game with the tension and pressure knowing that you could get smashed again if you don’t get to work. But I understand your point.

I personally do not enjoy it without the mods once I realized they were there. I find vanilla inventory management to be unacceptable, but some can tolerate that. I am sure there are those playing it without mods. It probably took me 2-3 years to find the list of mods I liked.

Go Vanilla on your first playthru, then we’ll get you hooked up for later.

I’ve about finished fine-tuning all my mods to mesh with Vanilla.

Awesome, thanks for the feedback, guys!

That’s impressive considering that food poisoning can’t be fatal.

I’m guessing a death spiral like starvation or something related to the severe movement penalty.

Yeah. That’s weird. Worms are usually worse than food poisoning due to how much they wind up eating.

I was lying on the floor in pain and I just watched myself die from infection so I just assumed I was on the same path. I might have had the wimp trait which I don’t know made a difference.

I’ve been having a ton of fun playing 1.0 but something super weird happened a couple months in. Almost all the animals on my map have disappeared. My colony had tons of animals and I was planning to tame a lady grizzly to add to my boy grizzly and while checking the map to find her to tame I noticed that not only was she gone, so was the megasloth, the giant herd of pigs was gone, the deer were gone, the ibex were gone, the muffalos were gone, everything was gone.

Found a new mod called RT Fuse. Fuses of varying size/capacity can be placed anywhere on a power network, and absorb up to a certain amount of energy and discharge it safely. For Zzztt events.

Animals will migrate depending on the season and what biome you’re in. Animals will come back when the weather is nicer.

Unless you have some sort of special event, and you should know when you do, they just come and go. I love it when a herd moves through to, that can be fun.