Rimbo World

When it comes to mods, I’m trying to keep mostly vanilla. As mentioned before RimFridge is my one non-UI related mod that does affect game balance a bit.

The UI mods I’ve found and would recommend are:

Color Coded Mood Bar - You can see how in my screenshots my guys icons at the top are colored. Makes it much easier to tell at a glance who needs cheering up.

Interaction Bubbles - Puts what people say to each other in little speech bubbles. This one I really love. It exposes what would normally be missed most of the time as it is tucked away in the social tab.

RimHUD - A big upgrade to the UI panel that shows when someone is selected. You can see this in my recent screenshots as well. Shows all kinds of relevant info. The content and things like font sizes can be customized.

More Harvest Designators! - While the trick I’ve mentioned about setting a growing zone to no sowing in order to harvest only fully grow trees works well enough, this mod adds proper options under the orders menu to harvest only mature trees or plants.

Better Pawn Control - This one allows you to set modes that incorporate things under the restrict and assign panels like clothing sets or allowed areas. I currently use to manage animal areas with one click. I created a “red alert” mode and a “normal” mode. In red alert all animals go into the “yard” which is within the walls. In normal mode some go to “pasture” which is the yard plus grassy areas outside the walls and those animals that can haul have their own area that covers everything but food storage I don’t want them to eat. You can also do things like make “red alert” mode have certain guys switch clothing profiles in order to armor up.

Work Tab - An upgrade to the work tab that has things like 1-9 instead of 1-4 for priorities and breakdowns of the work types so you can do things like set a different sowing and harvest priority.

Medical Tab - A new tab that gives a summary of all the colonists medical conditions. Or in the late game I like to call it the “who needs another bionic limb” tab.

That was the problem! We had a heat wave. After the heat wave, eventually animals started coming back. The girl bear didn’t come back, unfortunately.

Hi all,

I know that I’m going to have to get this at some point (it sounds right up my alley, given my feelings towards Dwarf Fortress, Factorio, etc, and CBCM in general), and I think that point is coming soon. Two questions: what’s the best (relatively concise) LP out there to give me some more flavor, and what’s the best way to get started? (Is there a worthwhile/up to date tutorial? Or even (heaven forfend) a demo?)

“Just buy it and dive in” is also an acceptable answer.

Thanks!

Dive in, but here are some initial tips.

At the start you need to secure the basics, food and shelter. Right at the very beginning don’t worry about where you are going to build your real base. You can use a nearby ruin and start building off of it. Add doors and walls as necessary. Designate a stockpile and create some sleeping spots.

For initial food look around the map for things like berries you can harvest. You can also hunt, though you will need to build a butcher spot or butcher table for that. Meat also rots fast so only hunt what you can immediately use until you have food storage. You will also want to start harvesting lumber so designate nearby trees for chopping. Ideally fully grown or close to fully grown ones.

You can eat berries raw, but for most other food you will want to cook it. You can build a campfire (under the temperature menu) or if you have the resources you can build a wood stove. Whichever you build, start cooking simple meals from what you forage or hunt. Keep your kitchen area clean. Usually whenever I see a peon cooking I select him and order them first to clean any nearby filth.

It’s best to build production stations indoors so build walls and doors to expand your initial area. Everything can be moved or torn down and rebuilt so at the start just build in a convenient area.

Within the first few days, if not on the first day, start planting some crops. Though before you do you may want to give some initial thought to where you want to eventually build your base. If there is rich soil in a good location start designating planting areas there. Rice provides the quickest harvest, so a rice heavy start is a good way to go. Corn takes a really long time to grow but has a great yield, so it’s also good to get at least a small area of corn going. After an initial rice harvest I switch some rice to potatoes. I consider berries a commercial crop since they sell for more than other crops so later when I plan to start trading I add berries.

Start with maybe four zones, about 5x5 each, three rice one corn. Switch one rice to potatoes after first harvest. Switch another when you feel you have enough food to wait for the longer growing period. That should get your started.

At first I usually have just a barracks and one big room for everything else. Once I am ready to start real base building I pick an area based on proximity to rich soil, thermal vents, and natural barriers like hills or deep water. I want an area big enough to eventually hold a core of two large rooms (rec and dining), with a kitchen and freezer next to the dining room and 5x5 bedrooms surrounding it all. I usually start planning where I’m going to put a 3 wide corridor through the area and build rooms around that.

Once shelter and the food supply are secure there are a few things to get going. You will need a freezer, and electricity to run it. You will want to start building some defenses. At the very least a position with sandbags to shoot from and some spike traps. You will want to get a workshop going with stations for making art and clothes. Art is important for mood, and clothes will be a main trade commodity. You will also want to build a research bench.

Look at the colonists’ needs panel on a regular basis to see what is bugging them and what makes them happy.

One of the keys to keeping colonists mood up is the bonuses you get from impressive rooms. Dining rooms and rec rooms are shared by all. They should be spacious and filled with your best art and highest quality furniture. Bedrooms are the next most important. With decent furniture and a few nice sculptures you can get a 5x5 bedroom up to very impressive.

What Thrag said.

I also think feedback on the game is pretty good. You can certainly learn a lot just by playing, like trial and error. I only needed help early on with a few things like the walk in refrigerator stuff and some tips on caravans. My personal approach was I played, and I played, and if I couldn’t figure something out, i went searching for that specific thing. if something bothered me enough, say like the way inventory is handled, I eventually discovered other people hated it too and that led me to mods.

You can play the game without mods. I just found it more enjoyable to have them, which included adding more variety which can make the game easier or even harder in specific areas.

It’s a real bummer when you get this early. There are worse worldwide events though, way worse.

While it may seem counter-intuitive to wear a long coat in a heat wave, you want to get everyone wearing dusters, preferably made out of some kind of wool, and a cowboy hat when the heat hits.

Check the gear panel for the comfortable temp range of your guys in their current outfit.

Oh dear! I just got a raid where in the description it mentions they are exceptionally clever and will avoid some traps and turret fields of fire. Counting the incoming drop pods there are 19 of them!

Edit: They weren’t that clever fortunately. By popping in and out of doors to take shots I got them walk back and forth through trapped areas. Between the ones that did eventually fall victim to my traps, and the ones that fell to my opportunity shots, they eventually fled.

I found these short tutorials, both fairly recent, to be helpful.

I think you can create a sleeping spot without resources and that lets them be rescued.

Yep this. You can also change sleeping spots to be medical. Good for downed animals too for animal sleeping spot.

I just got this game a couple days ago. Why did nobody ever tell me of this? This is like dwarf fortress, but playable (because of lower lag, better interface, and culling of features/polish).

So many stories.

I got a bunch of terriers. Cute little bastards. They give cuddle bonuses. The problem is I ended up with many, many terriers. I could not feed them. I couldn’t keep up my human kibble factory because I had no hay and I could barely keep myself fed. So, too many puppies. Let’s google. People murder and eat them. I won’t do that. Okay. Hmm. Trade them away to a nice settlement with a farm upstate? They need food to travel, which I don’t have. In the end this was a solved problem because I ended up with an enemy siege. The bad guys murdered my puppies. I murdered the bad guys. This was a good outcome.

Problem two, I decided I didn’t want all the debuffs from human butchering. Also my people keep eating kibble. I decided the fix was to tame pigs to eat the corpses. Worked well for a few, but then Winter Was Coming. My pigs lost hooves to frostbite which apparently renders them immobile. This would not be an issue but they stopped breeding and eating. So, bacon for dinner and need a new plan.

In the end I decided to burn them all in a crematorium. This is wasteful, but it’s like cleaning the garage,at some point you gotta stop hoarding and throw it all away.

You can set what people are allowed to eat under the assign menu.

IMHO, pets that can’t haul are only trouble. Huskies and labs can be worth it. While at first it might seem like breeding dogs is a good idea, once you have enough of them there’s the puppy problem. You can avoid more puppies by restricting the males and females to separate areas. This works well for livestock, but not so much for hauling pets since you want them to have good access to everything.

Build a small barn with a heater and zone them in. They will survive the winter just fine, and eat those corpses too. I think I will do the same. BTW will the pigs eat decaying corpses?

Yeah the small dogs are kind of worthless. I love the labs and the huskies and the wargs. I never had puppy problems with them. They grow up, haul, and when there are too many I trade them, usually young, so no one gets bonded.

Nesrie hates puppies.

Oh man yes I should have made the freezer dual temperature!

Ok I need to find pigs again… Then find more humans… game says I have had 30 raids already. I still have two of my original colonists, he is 80+ years old.

Well it’s really one, the second is a Stranger that came to help when all three of my original guys went incap in a deep cold (I had no heat or power). Shiro.

At least I won’t eat them! My war dogs must be buried and cremated or sold to nice local traders. I’ll butcher turkeys, pigs and chickens any day of the week.

I had a warg pack once too. It’s kind of hard to get survivors with them.

I finally got most my mods up to snuff for 1.0 last night, and started again too. the visuals are nice. Last time I played was B18.

My first colony ended up with dozens of cats. I just let them wander around and kill vermin. Excess kittens were beamed into space so that passing freighters could have ship cats.

Why I can trade cats with passing traders but not get myself off the planet the same way is a mystery for another time.

I also have a dozen muffalos and an elephant. The muffalos are pretty good to travel overland (faster movement). I just zoned a few screens worth of hay. I finally learned hay in shelves will not rot so that’s the winter emergency feed. I should calculate how much they really need each so I don’t get surprised this winter.

The 🐘 used to have a mate but he got upset when I teaching him to fetch so I had to murder it with a minigun.

My colony is finally doing better, the trick was learning how to do a good kitchen. Three stoves wasn’t doing the trick. Basically critical priority input piles, drop output on ground, and produce till have X.

Gonna look at assign menu for that food permission, i am annoyed they keep eating the dry travel foods instead of the meals.

As in not at all thus making a freezer unnecessary, or just not degrade from being outdoors?