Rimbo World

For me all raids are micromanaged to the second.Only way to guarantee they will do what you want. I hate the fact that everyone fires at the first and closest pawn.

I have a new method of animal management. I have tried 3-4 colonies and I always end up running an animal farm.

I set up a new zone, you may call it “fodder”. Set the animals there. You provide targets for the enemies. It also saves you the trouble of slaughtering excess animals. I do not like to do that, they make noises and i feel bad.

So I’m not the only one? The guilt from that just gets to my core.

Yeah, the chickens make the most noticeable sound.

IRL my family slaughtered tons of chickens (no preslaughtered chickens in my house), even iguanas. I heard they did a pig once and never, ever again because of the cries.

Those sounds can also be bad. Playing a naked start, with random event AI, I get the 8 yorkies joining, then just as I’m wondering how I feed them, I get my second raid. Ayep … the slaughter yelps were so bad I had to cut the sound or my two dogs were going to go over my desk and through the screen.

Sorry to hear that, for the pig. If the initial shot/bolt/polling is done right it should immediately drop and just twitch, no consciousness. I saw it done right with sheep, cattle and pigs on the farm I grew up on. It is a skill though. I if I remember right, they used a guy that traveled around the small farms during the season just to slaughter. And he was worth the money since he was fast, and the animals collapsed with no stress. The cows were often specialty beef sold and top buyers swore they could taste the stress.

I agree, if you kill them quickly enough there shouldn’t be screams… professionals would do it right. I remember being more horrified over the de-horning of the goats and castrating the pigs than I do the actual slaughter, and we had a small no one knew what they were doing but hired professional type of farm.

There was a flash storm right in the middle of a huge wild boar pack. Twice boars got struck by lightning, and their squeals as they ran around waiting for the fire on them to go out. Eeeek.

Obviously someone needs to make a squeal removal mod.

Due to someone in this thread, I started using RimHUD. But I found one irritation: every time it updates, I lose all my custom settings.

I finally took to backing up the XML files, I think that’s what the developer intended to retain settings.

Coming up for air, finally!

I finished my first/tutorial playthrough on Phoebe/normal. I didn’t feel particularly challenged, but had a great time learning the ropes. Launching the ship was fun–got my first sieges, and Charlzie got blown away by a single shot to the back from our own autocannon turret… Good thing I had that resurrector mech serum handy (and I learned something about friendly fire).

In the end Charlzie and Lu made it away (along with 12 other latecomers), and poor Rivers remains in a grave by the river (along with 2 latecomers).

I then tried Phoebe/hard/Ironman, and promptly lost one when I tried to tame a wild woman who ran into a cave of insects, which took out the tamer and the two rescuers (but not the wildling); another when I thought it would be cool to tame an arctic wolf (same story), and a third when I was unable to repel those chasing someone I offered sanctuary to. (I managed to chase fight them off, actually, but all of my colonists bled out–it was that close.)

I’m now playing Phoebe/hard/not Ironman and doing better as I’m not trying to be silly or nice to those fleeing oppression. I’m in the North with only 15 days of growing season and winter temps of -30 C. It’s very different having the seasonality! I have to find the right material for parkas & hunt everything in sight. A tough winter had us eating the huskies :( and living off rats and raccoons, until a lucky bulk goods trader saved us (for the cost of $1000).

I’m not sure the huskies are worth it (food-wise) for the hauling, but after they were gone I did fall behind in hauling. That could also be because I then greatly expanded the farmland. When we hit Aprimay 10th, everyone gets out there in the dirt and does nothing else. An unlucky cold snap can be a real problem. (I should probably research hydroponics because I’ve got plenty of energy from the geysers…)

What mods do people run with? I did the conversation bubbles (though I may ditch it, it’s rather cluttering), the mood bar coloration, and RimFridge (so nice).

Sounds like you’re having a good time with it. Myself I don’t tend to try and tame animals till I have enough colonists that I can afford to get some killed off in the effort (come to think of it I do the same thing with missions and caravans, both of which I wait to take on and usually send the people I consider expendable half hoping they die).

So I’m probably a conservative player, in fact I guess it’s pretty obvious I am. But risk comes looking for me anyway in this game so I usually take the approach of not going to look for it myself.

I found it quite satisfying working through all the trouble you have to go to in order to get a ship off the planet, I think that makes for a good end state.

Interestingly enough, I’m 200 hours in and have yet to run a single mod, from what I hear tell I’ve got a lot more gaming to look forward to as some are supposed to really help and/or change the game. I’ve just never been much of a mod use guy, but will dive in to some at some point probably looking to this thread for suggestions on which are the best.

Animal haulers are invaluable to me later on when you’re trying to grow a lot of crops quick and having to deal with a lot of enemies and pulling their loot in before it degrades to maximize price.

I don’t use RimHUD myself anymore. Just too much stuff crammed in the window and looks messy.

Here is a caravan oddness I’ve seen in my current game:

I form a caravan from the world map.
Some or all of my people start moving around and head towards the edge of the map.
They get outside my village… mill around… then realize they don’t have any supplies so they head back to my supply dump.

This has happened to a lesser degree in the past, but I just watched 7 pawns and 3 alpacas do this. I don’t think I have any mods that affect caravan forming. Very odd behavior.

I’ve never seen that before. Do you have the caravan spot laid down? I found that actually makes things worse.

Oh geez, no. I forgot that. Maybe I should add one and see what happens next time.

Yea totally!

I don’t have a caravan spot laid out, and I’ve never sen that happen… but I’ve also got like 20 or so mods.

Still trucking along in my winter wonderland. Got the food situation under control, partly because of the hydroponics, partly because every fall, after harvest, I hunt everything on the map and let the bodies freeze in an outdoor stockpile until the meat is needed (I have so much leather). I have also realized I just don’t have enough of a growing season for devilstrand, especially because every year there’s a cold snap on day two of growing season.

Things are ok combat-wise. I lost poor Jed to an arrow through the brain (more helmets needed, I guess); I’ll miss his crafting but not the chemical interest. My pawns are getting more and more beat up; my main melee guy lost his right thumb, indeed, and middle fingers (in addition to the eye scar), so I’m considering a power claw, but ideally I’d get a second for the other hand. I’m desperately short of eyes… Once I get bionics we’ll be a team of cyborgs.

This time I’ll try making the trek to the hidden spaceship on the other side of the continent. Has anyone done that? Does it work?

This seems strange

There’s at least one review that’s not on there. Rock Paper Shotgun did a very positive one.

And I finally beat my first game of Rimworld! Cassandra/Builder, so not too impressive. I was really surprised how low key the raids were after I started powering up the ship. I expected far worse.