Rimbo World

This is an interesting discussion that occurred on their forum regarding the responsibilities of the developer, in which the dev participated. The conversation got too uncomfortable for some and led to the thread being locked while the discussion was still active, but it gives some good insight into the thinking going on in the future of the game, and the philosophies the dev has towards the consumer.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=14470.0

Thanks for the link it was an interesting read.

I thought the developer was well spoken in expressing his stance (though I did not read to the end of the thread).

Agreed, very interesting perspectives from both sides

Selling games used to be so much simpler, back before the internet and it’s early access.

Well, I think that is the challenge here - he has opened himself up to customer participation. This is done of course to get more buy in, but it comes with a price.

Also, I would agree with the consensus that he needs to declare it 1.0 and throw away the word Alpha…or at least develop/publish a road map to get to 1.0 - he cannot be behind that wall and say the things he is saying now about being done, it is like he wants it both ways.

People are pesky, in that they want something for the money. A KS and an EA make the lines of delivery blurred with the benefit of cash, but without a concrete plan both sides can find themselves in trouble,

Just listened Three Moves Ahead podcast on Prison Architect, sounds like one I’ll have to check out when it goes on sale, the reason I jumped into this thread though was regarding RimWorld which was mentioned at the very end of the podcast and it sounded intriguing so I went and dug it up in Greenlight and on their website and noticed it appears to be stuck in development limbo, which made me wonder if anyone knows if this one is ever going to actually move to an actual release because it also looks like an interesting game.

Will probably hit steam after March which is when the main developer gets back from his vacation, i think he wants to move on to other projects so he will probably release it soon.

Ok, thanks for the info!

I am waiting to see the results of this great experiment to determine if killing the momentum kills the game.

There’s still work being done on it by a different programmer (apparently), just no new release until after the break. The last blog post listing added features/content was 12 November. Last actual update was August I think.

Yeah the other guy seems to be developing as fast as he is, with the downside of no changelog like Tynan does.

One of Rimworld’s saving graces is the mod work being done by fans. Be sure to check out the slew of things out there to really extend the game, even if the game itself is in hiatus.

I’ve been playing a ton of this and even though I’ll say it’s a no brainer must buy game, it really hasn’t changed much in a long time. All the added features have been very minor so it’s still got massive problems with its endgame in particular.

To me it’s the kind of game I pick up and mess around with for some hours, never really completing anything. The next time I fire it up I start a new base and just mess around again. It’s got no coherent win conditions except for shoot all your guys into space, which is lame as hell imho.

Still, the music, the sound effects and even the graphics are all great and smooth. There are tons of fun to be had here but just don’t ask too many questions 'cause it really doesn’t make sense.

Also, get the “EdBinterface” UI mod. Much better than the original interface.

Darn you guys. Now I have to buy this.

Fracking annoying elephant just wanders into my arid shrub-land colony and decides my (almost mature and ready to harvest!) crops are his personal “24-hour All You Can Eat Buffet”! Maybe now is a good time to test the incendiary launcher we found in an ancient cryptosleep casket recently…

This is why I have no real interest in this game so far. On the surface it seems like my kind of game, but if you spend all you time building up a base only to abandon it in the end, then what is the point? Also from videos I have seen, the endless space pirate attacks just seem annoying. I would rather have a richer economic sim than a combat survival sim.

No other base building / survival game has me spend countless hours like this game does. I’ve been nursing my currently colony for ages and with 58 inhabitants + wargs, chickens and dogs, the engine has started to crack. The game is running at a snail’s pace right now. If I slaughter all the animals I get a slight improvement but still not enough to make it run as it did early on.

I guess I found the engine vs. my CPU limit. A shame, I was shooting for 100 inhabitants.

Edit.

Here’s my latest save where I killed all the chickens but kept the wargs and dogs. For anyone with a better PC than mine :/
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3208/Congers259.rws

Aaaand new version is out.

Permadeath

New permadeath mode. One save file, save on quit or autosave only, no take-backsies when something goes horribly, insanely, or laughably wrong. The way RimWorld was meant to be played.

Relationships

Colonist family and social relationship system / Social relationships with friends, rivals, family, chats, arguments, and fights
Opinion system; pawns care about dozens of memories and situations to determine their opinions of each other
Family members out to cousins and beyond
Lovers, fiancees, marriages, ex-lovers, ex-spouses
Lovin’
People may get in social fights with those they dislike (even neutrals and enemies do this)
Animal bonding
People who leave the map while traveling, fleeing, being kidnapped, etc. can come back later as raiders, visitors, joiners, etc.
Marriage ceremonies and parties

Prison breaks

Prison breaks. Prisoners pick the locks, get out, seek weapons and work as a group to escape.

Infestations

Self-reproducing, spreading underground insect hives
Insect hives are dangerous but produce succulent insect jelly

Animals and predators

Many more animals, some of which will hunt people
Some animals are now predators, including colony pets (e.g. cats catch squirrels)
Animals can gnaw corpses apart directly now

Threat response mode

Decide how colonists should auto-respond to threats: flee, attack, or ignore?

Economy

‘Components’ resource used for machinery and electronics
Ground-traveling trade caravans from other factions
Deeper research tree with more low-tech options and more things to research
New fueled buildings: stove and generator
Various new lower and higher-tech production buildings
Two research tables: simple and hi-tech. Hi-tech is required for some projects.

Misc

New exotic infections: Gut worms, mechanite infections which give abilities at a cost of pain or fatigue, trauma savantism
New chronic diseases: Carcinoma, asthma, hearing loss
New “firefoam popper” provides a way to combat fire besides punching it.
Character records which keep stats on each character like number of kills, injuries, surgeries, etc.
Extreme desert biome
Colonists in relationships can share beds
New double bed; royal bed is now gold-trimmed and fancy
New flatscreen and megascreen TVs
Colonists can now visit sick people in bed to cheer them up
Sick people in bed can now watch TV
Building damage overlays
Days are now twice as long as before, with years being half as many days. (This means that years are exactly as long as before in actual play time, just divided into a smaller number of longer days.)
The year is now split into seasons instead of months.
Animal kibble
Deep rooms stay cool in the heat
Richer tale recording and better art descriptions
Hundreds of balance improvements, optimizations, tweaks and fixes

Wow! I guess this means Tynan is back, and release schedule may be more regular?

huh? No email to me about this. Are you sure its out yet?